Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile Galaxy S3 - Wifi authentication error and now wifi unstable

At the end of last month I was sitting in my house and my phone said "roaming" and asked me to choose the state I was in. I was in my home so obviously I wasn't out of state. Didn't think anything of it..

Then about a week later, I begin to have troubles connecting to my home Wi-Fi. Nothing had changed with the Wi-Fi everyone else had no issues. It said it was "saved, secured" but would constantly search and try to reconnect. Sometimes, I can connect, however it is very slow, messages and such "fail" and often gives me the loading symbols within all my apps.

-I tried a factory reset just for trial and error.. This did not fix the wifi issue.

-I cleared the cache for trial and error.. This did not fix the wifi issue.

-I tried dialing *#0011# > Wi-Fi> toggle on button.. This did not fix the wifi issue.

-I even tried installing WiFix and a WiFi analyzer and these did not fix the wifi issue.

This issue unfortunately happens at all 3 permanent home Wi-Fi locations I use. I never try to connect to a public Wi-Fi such as Mcdonald's so I wouldn't know if the issue still remains.

-I know for a fact all passwords are correct. Out of the blue, this issue just popped up.

-I tried forgetting all 3 Wi-Fi locations and re-entering passwords.. Still did not fix issue.

-I have done research on the computer, searching for answers and suggestions.. All which I have tried and nothing resolved this issue.

I called into T-Mobile, they said they have had some complaints about such (please note this is before 4.3 update!) and that they would send me a free micro sim card and see if this resolves my Wi-Fi issues because they were updated. I tried this, and it did not work.

I have called in today again to T-Mobile after receiving the 4.3 update, to ask for any suggestions to what my problem is. I was praying this update would fix the issue.. But it didn't and I have run out of options. My warranty is up.. I absolutely love my s3, I treat it like my baby.. No scratches, no drops, NOTHING bad has happened to it.. I have run out of ideas and patience..

The rep I talked to had tried searching but couldn't do much because there wasn't an error code. I will most certainly keep my eyes peeled if anything new pops up and then place another call into T-Mobile.

I am on the prepaid plan which is $50/month, first 500MB at 4G speed, then to my knowledge when that runs out it goes to 2G. I turned off my data because I burned through it because I couldn't connect properly to Wi-Fi. I don't feel like I should have to waste all my precious 4G while I am in my home and should be able to connect to Wi-Fi.

Timeline--

Last week of October 2013 -said I was Roaming when I was not.

11/8 - Wi-Fi authentication error

Tried resetting to factory

following week, call into T-Mobile, they suggest new simcard, but it doesn't work.

11/25/13 - received 4.3 update

now wifi is still giving me the same issue, just different message- "Your internet connection is unstable" (pops up in my notification bar)

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, 16GB running 4.3
    Last edited by a marie; 11-25-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Default Re: T-Mobile Galaxy S3 - Wifi authentication error and now wifi unstable

Yikes, that sounds frustrating. I assume you've tried rebooting your main router at home, i.e., unplugging the power for 10 seconds, then plugging it back in? Also try some of the other suggestions in this guide: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems.

I hope you're able to get it working again!

Default Re: T-Mobile Galaxy S3 - Wifi authentication error and now wifi unstable

I have been experiencing this same exact issue. I feel your pain! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Updates have not helped. I even contacted my internet service provider (Comcast) and demanded a new cable modem after wiping my router and phone; none of which have resolved the issue. But my other home networking devices: HP Printer, Sony Google TV, and Belkin Netcam connect to my home network without issue.

The only other thing I considered which I dont completely understand is that when doing research I stumbled across some posts that mentioned having additional network devices i.e. my Belkin Netcam, becoming a sort of 'repeater' for the network.. and when I thought about it, this is really when I began to experience the issue with connecting & authentication.

Do you have any similar network devices that could possibly be causing an issue?

I dont really understand network anatomy; but I think when syncing the belkin netcam with my router it may have screwed up the order of things in the network. Only because the netcam has a wifi signal/network of it's own; but it's still using my Netgear router to gain access to the internet. That whole process really confuses me, but I could see that causing problems. Hope that helps, good luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes I actually just orderded a new router and it hasn't fixed the issue.
    I have tried three different locations with reliable strong wifi and still having the same issue.
    Apparently I am not the only one because you pop in google s3 wifi issues and the list is neverending.
    Same issues as well. Not connecting, always refreshing, or dropping wifi, saying network disabled because internet connection is slow, authentication error occured, no cellular network available. and the newest one!!!- connect to an available wifi network for messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Yikes, that sounds frustrating. I assume you've tried rebooting your main router at home, i.e., unplugging the power for 10 seconds, then plugging it back in? Also try some of the other suggestions in this guide: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems.

I hope you're able to get it working again!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

honestly, i don't know what devices could cause that issue. but i will list what i have on the top of my head haha.

3 xbox
    1 ps3
    1 imac
    2 laptops
    2 tablets
    4 android phones

these are all the things i have in my home that use wifi.

the android phones 2/4 are s3s.
    mine is the one with the issues.
    the other s3 works like a charm.

got a new router from verizon.
    even upgraded the internet speeeeeeds.

nothing. and my new tablet works faster than my phone.
    depressing because i bought that puppy on sale for est $90
    and it works better than my expensive A** phone now!

Quote Originally Posted by itsbert View Post
    I have been experiencing this same exact issue. I feel your pain! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Updates have not helped. I even contacted my internet service provider (Comcast) and demanded a new cable modem after wiping my router and phone; none of which have resolved the issue. But my other home networking devices: HP Printer, Sony Google TV, and Belkin Netcam connect to my home network without issue.

The only other thing I considered which I dont completely understand is that when doing research I stumbled across some posts that mentioned having additional network devices i.e. my Belkin Netcam, becoming a sort of 'repeater' for the network.. and when I thought about it, this is really when I began to experience the issue with connecting & authentication.

Do you have any similar network devices that could possibly be causing an issue?

I dont really understand network anatomy; but I think when syncing the belkin netcam with my router it may have screwed up the order of things in the network. Only because the netcam has a wifi signal/network of it's own; but it's still using my Netgear router to gain access to the internet. That whole process really confuses me, but I could see that causing problems. Hope that helps, good luck.

It seems I am having the same "authentication error" issue with my gs3, but oddly enough, my problem comes and goes. I will check it from time to time and see "authentication error", and then other times it will be connected. I've twice been actively using the phone when it spontaneously said "Connected to [my wifi]", and I cannot say what I did to get it to connect. It doesn't appear to be related to where I am in the house, but I haven't experimented with interference effects from other devices. I'll do some testing tonight and get back with you all.

I don't do too much on my phone and never hit my data limit, so I haven't gotten too excited about it, but I do like to download movies to my phone for my wife to watch when we go on road trips, so it has been a nuisance in that scenario. Our laptop and my wife's and stepdaughter's phones all work fine, so it's def. an issue with my phone, not the wifi. I have no idea what causes the problem to come and go, but I'll try to pay attention to it and experiment and try to find out what is doing it. -Greg

I found out definitively that it is interference with my new Microsoft Surface Tablet. In retrospect, I never had this problem before getting the tablet. My problem still comes and goes without a clear indication of why it works sometimes and not others, but if the wi-fi on my phone ever disconnects with the "authentication error", all I have to do is power off my tablet, and it signs on immediately. Oddly enough, if I turn my tablet back on, everything still works fine. I'm not sure why this is occurring other than funky weird computer BS that always prevails in technology; I'm just glad I found a relatively simple work-around. If you are having the same issue, try powering off or disconnecting any other devices you have connected to your wi-fi and see if your phone works. -Greg

Hi guys , not sure if u guys found out how to fix this problem as yet but i have the same issue. i came across this issue after updating my gs3 to 4.3 every time i leave my house when i come back i get that Wifi authentication error, i simply restart my router an then it logs in

My T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 on Jelly Bean 4.3, continues to drop wi-fi even when wi-fi signal is strong and steady. It is very random and frustrating! I am looking for a fix for this problem, as the router is fine, the wi-fi signal is fine, the bandwidth is fine, the phone re-set has been done, and the Wi-fi power saver mode is off. In our house Galaxy S3s have this issue, the tablets and laptops on wifi are stable and fine. There is also no crowding or any other such issue. When is Google going to fix this bug? I depend on wi-fi calling because of poor signal in my house. Can anyone help?

I just did this and then watched as my phone that had been sitting there with the same annoying "authentication error" message on it suddenly obtained the IP address and joined the network and surfs the web as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My network is made up of 1 Comcast wireless router/modem located in my upstairs bedroom which butts up to my garage. We spend a lot of our time in the garage given that my wife and I both smoke so we've set up a little mini den or living room in the garage because our driveway is so narrow we can't get both our vehicles in there anyway even though it is a 3 car garage. I also have a Cisco RE-1000 Range Extender. In the garage we have a wireless interface(Orb Music) for my home stereo set up in the garage that we listen to music on. When my laptop or even my phone are logged into the LAN I can play music from my laptop or my phone directly to the stereo across the wireless. Because the stereo is on the other side of the garage it couldn't hit the wifi directly from the Comcast router so I installed the RE-1000 to extend the signal and it has worked just fine. Even in the beginning both our phones would get on the network with no problem but then suddenly it just stopped working and began giving both of us the "Authentication Error".

We both have Galaxy S-III phones but hers is newer therefor a different model. Our Samsung smart/web tv is also on the LAN for downloading firmware updates etc. and so is the Windows 7 laptop. With the exception of the phones, none of this really has anything to do with the problem or fixing the problem either. Outside of the phones, today's wireless capable devices can get on to most any kind of network regardless of the encryption type - they really just don't care because they'll work on anything. Away from home both of our phones could get onto any network be it McDonald's or the neighborhood bar or whatever, it only mattered at home.

Reading everyone's statements regarding the Comcast connection to this problem got me to thinking, especially when someone said their help desk was going to charge them $80 to talk them through fixing it through the laptops connection to the router so I started digging around and found the following fix that thus far, has got both our phones back on the network and working perfectly even after turning it off and back on.

From the Xfinity web based GUI for your Comcast router at http://10.0.0.1, log into your router and on the left hand menu click on "connection", then once that opens up click on "wizard" down below. Initially it forces you to change your password, do so then on the next page it shows you the SSID, the Encryption Method and then the existing 16 bit password that comes with the modem.

The encryption method was set to the recommended setting which was WPAWPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES). I changed it to WPA2-PSK(AES)and suddenly the phone just authenticated, grabbed an IP and it was over and done with......or so I thought. After a while I decided to turn the phones Wifi off and then back on to see if it would still get on and I'll be damned if it did not.

Disgusted at this I decided to go back to bed and when I got upstairs and back in bed I checked my phone for a message I heard come through and noticed I had left the wifi turned on and it had grabbed an IP and was back online again. This got me to thinking "Should I have to reconfigure the extender too?" because your wireless devices will connect to whatever it's closest to as long as it's authenticated to do so. When I changed the encryption type on the router that immediately kicked the extender off the network but then allowed my phone on. Keep in mind, at my little table I can hit the router just fine with my laptop and phone, I extended the signal with the RE-1000 strictly for the Orb Music device that's on the other side of the garage. Regardless of that when the range extender is on the network all the devices in the garage will got to the extender first because it's physically closer.

When I turned my phones wireless off then back on it tried to connect to the extender instead of the router because it's closer but because the extender was initially configured using WPAWPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES) like the router had been, then I couldn't get onto the LAN until my phone was out of range of the extender and closer to the actual router again. Naturally, once I woke up and got out of bed the first thing I did was blank out the config on the extender then reconfigure it from scratch with the router encrypted to WPA2-PSK(AES) and Wa La!! Phone connected, wife's phone connected and now we finally have peace in the valley.

Although most any wireless capable device these days doesn't really care about the encryption, smartphones or maybe even just Android or non-iOS based phones are a little more picky about the encryption and need the WPA2 pretty much exclusively. Given that nothing else in the house cares they all logged right on to after the changes were made. I believe that the problem fix is just changing the encryption set up on the router end regardless of the ISP or even the router manufacturer. It's about checking to see what the default encryption type is and changing it specifically for the phone. All your other wireless devices on the network shouldn't really care and jump back on the network as well.

I sincerely hope this helps everyone else because I think we now have a final solution to this problem.
    Last edited by Darth Spock; 03-28-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate language
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by 1962dude View Post
    I just did this and then watched as my phone that had been sitting there with the same annoying "authentication error" message on it suddenly obtained the IP address and joined the network and surfs the web as well.

My network is made up of 1 Comcast wireless router/modem located in my upstairs bedroom which butts up to my garage. We spend a lot of our time in the garage given that my wife and I both smoke so we've set up a little mini den or living room in the garage because our driveway is so narrow we can't get both our vehicles in there anyway even though it is a 3 car garage. I also have a Cisco RE-1000 Range Extender. In the garage we have a wireless interface(Orb Music) for my home stereo set up in the garage that we listen to music on. When my laptop or even my phone are logged into the LAN I can play music from my laptop or my phone directly to the stereo across the wireless. Because the stereo is on the other side of the garage it couldn't hit the wifi directly from the Comcast router so I installed the RE-1000 to extend the signal and it has worked just fine. Even in the beginning both our phones would get on the network with no problem but then suddenly it just stopped working and began giving both of us the "Authentication Error".

We both have Galaxy S-III phones but hers is newer therefor a different model. Our Samsung smart/web tv is also on the LAN for downloading firmware updates etc. and so is the Windows 7 laptop. With the exception of the phones, none of this really has anything to do with the problem or fixing the problem either. Outside of the phones, today's wireless capable devices can get on to most any kind of network regardless of the encryption type - they really just don't care because they'll work on anything. Away from home both of our phones could get onto any network be it McDonald's or the neighborhood bar or whatever, it only mattered at home.

Reading everyone's statements regarding the Comcast connection to this problem got me to thinking, especially when someone said their help desk was going to charge them $80 to talk them through fixing it through the laptops connection to the router so I started digging around and found the following fix that thus far, has got both our phones back on the network and working perfectly even after turning it off and back on.

From the Xfinity web based GUI for your Comcast router at http://10.0.0.1, log into your router and on the left hand menu click on "connection", then once that opens up click on "wizard" down below. Initially it forces you to change your password, do so then on the next page it shows you the SSID, the Encryption Method and then the existing 16 bit password that comes with the modem.

The encryption method was set to the recommended setting which was WPAWPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES). I changed it to WPA2-PSK(AES)and suddenly the phone just authenticated, grabbed an IP and it was over and done with......or so I thought. After a while I decided to turn the phones Wifi off and then back on to see if it would still get on and I'll be damned if it did not.

Disgusted at this I decided to go back to bed and when I got upstairs and back in bed I checked my phone for a message I heard come through and noticed I had left the wifi turned on and it had grabbed an IP and was back online again. This got me to thinking "Should I have to reconfigure the extender too?" because your wireless devices will connect to whatever it's closest to as long as it's authenticated to do so. When I changed the encryption type on the router that immediately kicked the extender off the network but then allowed my phone on. Keep in mind, at my little table I can hit the router just fine with my laptop and phone, I extended the signal with the RE-1000 strictly for the Orb Music device that's on the other side of the garage. Regardless of that when the range extender is on the network all the devices in the garage will got to the extender first because it's physically closer.

When I turned my phones wireless off then back on it tried to connect to the extender instead of the router because it's closer but because the extender was initially configured using WPAWPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES) like the router had been, then I couldn't get onto the LAN until my phone was out of range of the extender and closer to the actual router again. Naturally, once I woke up and got out of bed the first thing I did was blank out the config on the extender then reconfigure it from scratch with the router encrypted to WPA2-PSK(AES) and Wa La!! Phone connected, wife's phone connected and now we finally have peace in the valley.

Although most any wireless capable device these days doesn't really care about the encryption, smartphones or maybe even just Android or non-iOS based phones are a little more picky about the encryption and need the WPA2 pretty much exclusively. Given that nothing else in the house cares they all logged right on to after the changes were made. I believe that the problem fix is just changing the encryption set up on the router end regardless of the ISP or even the router manufacturer. It's about checking to see what the default encryption type is and changing it specifically for the phone. All your other wireless devices on the network shouldn't really care and jump back on the network as well.

I sincerely hope this helps everyone else because I think we now have a final solution to this problem.
    Thanks for the fix mate!!!! I was feeling hopeless with my SIII and suddenly bump to your thread and read it, though I'm using a different type of home router for my wifi but my default config is WPA2(mix), and i did what you've said I open up my router setting through the router net provider page of my wifi then change its security settings to WPA2 AES then suddenly my s3 obtained its Ip add and authenticate it with no problem, thanks mate and cheers

hiiiii , my samsung SIII says "Saved,Secured" under the wifi SSID but im not able to connect to my wifi? what could be the problem??

hiiiii e marie.... even i hav the same problem,, did u find any solution to "Saved,secured" but still not connecting to net issue

Turn of mobile data, it fixed it for me, well today anyway I've been surfing for 3 hours with no Internet connection 7 stable message! I've tried a factory to reset ad turning mobile data off seems to have fixed it :-)

Posted via Android Central App