Phone dead?

LVDFW

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Past few days I've noticed my phone getting slower. Nothing too bad, but it was noticeable. Few days ago phone shut down on itself. After a few minutes I was able to power it back on. I plugged it in.

Today my phone had a full charge and was sitting on my desk. Went to pick it up and it was dead. Tried plugging it in, and the light would not come on. Removed, and reset the battery, and it did not come on. I tried rebooting into recovery mode, and it would not power up.

The last thing I tried was removing the battery, and plugging it in. This got me a red light for about a minute, however it would not power up.

Any suggestions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Some people have reported success removing the battery; plugging the charger in; then putting the battery in. YMMV.

Sounds like it's time for a visit to the local corporate store...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

LVDFW

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I took it to a repair center, and they said the phone is bricked. I did nothing to the phone. I did notice that it was getting slow the past few weeks, bug I figured that was nothing to worry about. The last app I installed was AV software (Trend Micro). Could one of my apps bricked the phone? Could it have been just a lemon?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Could one of my apps bricked the phone?
Unlikely. If your phone was rooted then an app could have done catastrophic things to the file system, causing it not to boot. But nothing that would cause it not to turn on.
Could it have been just a lemon?
Well, it depends on your definition - given the large number of users in the forums that suffer from this issue, 'sudden death syndrome', etc, one might consider a lot of these phones to be lemons. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit over this matter.

But perhaps we don't have enough data - Samsung probably produced 30 million of these things (all models combined); without access to a breakdown by model number its hard to tell if a particular model is more trouble prone than others, or if a particular production run is suspect.

Fox guarding the hen house - Samsung is probably the only one with that data.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

LVDFW

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Both the repair center nor tmobile said they've seen what happened to mine before. (They've seen dead phones before, but not with the brief red light). Could the system slowness been a warning sign?

On a side note, do I need to root the phone to make a proper backup in case this happens in the future?

LVDFW

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Took it to another shop at closing. Bringing it back tomorrow but they said mine was the forth Samsung Galaxy S3 from T-mobile they've had in the past 2 weeks. They have seen none from the other carriers.

I wonder if there is a wider problem.