1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Device Manager- multiple device problems?

I have scoured the Internet, and cannot find anyone who has described this problem. Also, this is my first ever forum post, and wasn't sure where to post this.

Me, my wife, my son, and my daughter all have android phones (all but my daughter have galaxy s3's - she has the lower-end Exhibit). All have android device manager enabled. I also have my personal google account on all of them (in addition to their own google account being on there), just for location syncing purposes. This way, I can sign into ADM, and have a drop-down manager and select to locate any of our four phones, just by being signed into my google account.

It works...... a lot of the time. But one particular thing has made it to where I can't really rely on it. Let's say I am sitting at home, with my phone. My wife, I happen to know, is at the grocery store with her phone. I pull up ADM on my phone, and select to locate her phone. It often does this --- it will find her real location for a second or two, and then it pans over to our house, where I am sitting (promptly forgetting where she really is). My (non-technical) guess is that it "finds" her phone (with my google account on it) for a second, but then gets confused and then "finds" my phone (with my google account on it) instead. In other words, it often will not "stick" with her location which I requested, but pings back to me.

I have tried disabling, and re-enabling, turning off location history, etc. It still seems to be a recurring problem. Cerberus text location request is always much more reliable and stable - and will find her real location. I would like to regularly use ADM, because of the terrific interface of the new app, but this is problematic.

Any ideas? Is it just that it doesn't really work well for multiple devices like this?

Default Re: Android Device Manager- multiple device problems?

I have no issues with my phone and tablet... As long as I select the appropriate device, it does let me know where each of them are...

Have you tried disabling ADM on each phone, rebooting, and then re-enabling it? The reboot is just a force of habit, it probably won't do a thing :P
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried that. And like I say, ADM sees it correctly, it's just that it won't stick with it for long. And sometimes, it DOES stick with it. So, it seems like it is set up correctly enough for it to register, but there is just something about the setup that ADM can't stick with the initial found location.

What are you using to pull up ADM? Maybe it's the browser?
    When the location reverts to your own, does it also change the selected device?
    Have you tried it on a PC?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'll use both a PC (Mac) browser, as well as the phone itself - more often the phone.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Guess what? I just coincidentally discovered on chrome on my phone, I had signed into my wife's google account for some reason (can't remember why). I don't know if that was messing with the process or not (I can see why its weird - I am using the ADM app on my phone, via my google account, to find her phone which has my google account (and hers) synced on it, and meanwhile my own phone (which I don't want it to find) happens to be signed into her account via my phone's browser????

OK, you made me draw that out hahaha So many cross sign-ins! Haha
    I see why that COULD mess it up, but don't see why it WOULD. It's such a simple error that I'd find it ludicrous if Google let that one slide hehe. How about using her phone to locate yours?