Bought a used Galaxy S3, water sticker is gone, phone is acting up

GuyWithProblems

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello. This is my first time using this website, and it seems most everyone knows what they're talking about, so let's put it to the test.

Sometime November, 2013, my father bought a used Samsung Galaxy S3. For the first few months it worked perfectly fine, despite the fact that the water-damage sticker was gone. The device may have been water-damaged, but there are two things to note. The sticker on the batter is still intact (and still white) but the sticker behind the batter area, where it tells you the Model, FCC ID, Rated, and 2 bar-codes, looks like its charred (melted, in a way) but also could be water damaged. Most of it is a grayish color, the sort that has been exposed to water, and its wrinkly.

ALSO: If you've ever put water on a screen (tv, computer moniter, phone, etc.) then you'll know what I'm talking about. It looks, and I havent noticed this prior to the issues, that there are rainbow colored pixels (best way to describe it) on parts of my phone, and they only show up when the phone is turned on.

Point is, the phone randomly acts up, first every few hours, and now literally EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I go to use my phone. I used to be able to fix this issue by simply hitting the home button, but now I have to lock and unlock the screen for it to be responsive for another few seconds. (I turned off the "lock automatically with power button" setting because of this issue). The screen randomly shudders, opens up random applications, and keeps trying to move my apps around the pages (mostly the weather widget...it's as if it holds it and drags to the right to move to a different page). It randomly pauses my music and goes to another song on the playlist. The screen freezes whenever it's unlocked (which is the lock/unlock thing I was talking about earlier)

All this began just about a month ago...I also want to add that I have never changed the screen protector and there is some dust accumulated around the edges as well as some dust from the inside.

Sorry if the thread was poorly organized, but I typed as things came to mind. If there is any more information that you need, please say what it is and i will try to comply.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

GuyWithProblems

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bought a used s3, water sticker is gone, phone is acting up

People talked about a factory reset, and I am going to try it, in-case it is a virus causing all this ruckus. Also heard that if it IS water damaged, and Samsung can prove it, then they won't fix anything. But since its a used phone AND the sticker is gone, I'm not sure what else I can do for it and was wondering if anyone else did

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bought a used s3, water sticker is gone, phone is acting up

People talked about a factory reset, and I am going to try it, in-case it is a virus causing all this ruckus. Also heard that if it IS water damaged, and Samsung can prove it, then they won't fix anything. But since its a used phone AND the sticker is gone, I'm not sure what else I can do for it and was wondering if anyone else did

Just saw this thread a few minutes ago. Most smartphone touchscreens should be be that sensitive to something like dust. Try pushing the screen with a pencil eraser and see what I mean.
It may have been water damaged. Samsung may do something for you, but it won't be under warranty. You will have to pay them for it.
It does sound like it is just the screen though. There are a couple YouTube videos to look at. I can try to fine one I saw about a broken screen. The process would be the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try replacing the screen assembly:

http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-s3-gt-i9300-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

but that might be throwing good money after bad if it turns out that the problem is with the mainboard. Hard to tell from your description. At a minimum, replace the screen protector and see what happens.

A better choice may be to use that money to buy a Nexus 5 or a Moto X and chalk it up to experience.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GuyWithProblems

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
JUST REMEMBERED:

Sorry if this was late, but I would like to mention that I just remembered this potentially crucial bit of information:

The phone was working PERFECTLY before i lost the official s3 charger and had to use a charger that fit the space but wasn't a high-enough voltage. Also, the phone (for the most part) only acts up when its below 70-65% charge, but it really gets annoying when its 30% and below (almost impossible to use without having to lock/unlock screen every time you tap something).

Also, before i deleted all my games, I used that inefficient charger and played games on it until it got to 0% charge. After a few seconds on the zero percent, it would start to show lines everywhere and eventually turn shut down.

I did this a multitude of times and probably enough times to harm the phone.

Could it be that the battery was causing all these issues?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
had to use a charger that fit the space but wasn't a high-enough voltage.
Strange - all USB chargers should be providing 5V nominal; the current is what usually varies.
Also, the phone (for the most part) only acts up when its below 70-65% charge, but it really gets annoying when its 30% and below...Could it be that the battery was causing all these issues?
It could be the battery, and they're cheap enough for you to get a replacement and find out for sure.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy