GS3 SGH-T999 stuck on Samsung GS3 splash, no luck with Odin

jstluise

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
My phone restarted today on its own and then was stuck on the "Samsung Galaxy SIII" splash. Numerous soft resets gave the same result. I tried booting into the boot menu (volume up + home + power) and would only get a small "Recovery Booting..." message at the top followed by a dead android with a red caution icon above it. Doesn't look good.

I am able to boot into download mode (volume down + home + power), so I tried to flash the stock ROM with Odin 3.07. It recognized my phone and gives me a "PASS!" but the process only takes a few seconds. Here is the output from Odin:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

I get the same behavior after the Odin process so I'm not sure anything worked.

I also tried Kies 3 but I couldn't get anything to work. I'm wondering if this is the wrong version of Kies, so I might try an older version.

Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT. I tried Kies 2 but I'm having a hard time getting Kies to install. I'll have to try it on another PC.

Last edited:

jstluise

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
I believe the stock ROM that I found online is not correct since it is only around 10MB. From looking around more it should be closer to 1GB; however, I haven't been able to find a legitimate place to download it. Can anyone point me to a good source to download the stock firmware? I'm on Tmobile, btw.

EDIT. I found what seems to be a good source for the stock firmware (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1949687). I wasn't sure which one to download so I tried a few but all failed in Odin:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T999UVUEOH1_T999TMBEOH1_T999UVUEOH1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Not sure where to go from here...is my phone a goner?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith