1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Amaze went swimming!

Dropped in the potty, will be buying another. I have taken this one apart to look around inside. Wanted to check for memory card and any other color change water damage stickers inside--there is one (besides on the battery and behind the battery). I am also going to take vid on the strength of the screen. Ima try to scratch the hell out of it, drop it, and see what it takes to break/crack the screen. Update later -

Default Re: Amaze went swimming!

Sorry to hear that... I think I would cry if I dropped my phone in the toilet, or in any way lol.... But that being said, thanks for donating the body to science lol... I def want to know what it takes to scratch the screen...I asked HTC via email if the phone was equipped with Gorilla Glass, and while they didn't confirm it, they said that there was a "very scratch and crack resistant" screen on the Amaze... looking forward to the video!

That's a real shame. I suppose it was completely dead. If not, a developer might find some use for the thing.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Doing the screen test, any recommendations or ideas on what, and ways you guys think I should scratch it? I have a few. I already have the shatter test figured out.
    Last edited by rider111; 12-02-2011 at 12:07 PM.

I'd say go after it with some keys, coins, and stuff that you would typically find in your pocket. Maybe also try to scratch it with your fingernails. I am really interested to see what would scratch the screen.

Then maybe slide it face down on some asphalt, like if you were to drop it on accident.

Jeeze.. I feel like a director haha!
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Take the battery out and drop the phone and battery in some uncooked dry rice.
    Leave it for a week or two completely covered by the rice.
    Theres a 50 percent chance it will work again just fine.
    A small bag of rice is under $2 so its always worth a shot.
    If you immediately remove the battery the phone will likely have no damage
    after a couple weeks in the rice.
    Most people freak and forget to immediately jerk the battery out,
    and that's when the damage occurs.

Hebrews 13:8
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

HTC Amaze screen test

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

My first Amaze had a small pinprick-sized defect at the bottom of the screen. It made an annoyingly bright dot if you had something dark on the screen and you were in relatively low light. This test REALLY makes me wonder where that came from.

Interesting video, thanks.

Lightbulb Re: Amaze went swimming!

Next time you have an electronic device that gets wet immediately remove power source i.e. battery. Submerge the device in denatured alcohol (available at hardware stores and Wal-mart). The reason I use denatured alcohol is it is a non-polar solvent and will remove the water and not conduct electrical signals. Add some agitation without touching the alcohol with your skin. You don't want to cross-contaminate salt from your skin in the alcohol. Remove and place in some dry rice to dry. Typically doesn't take too long however I allow a day or so.. Clean the battery using a clean cotton swab and the alcohol clean the contacts.

While there are no guarantees I hope this helps.

I assume no responsibility for damages occurred while following these instructions. I have used this on many older phones and to a fair modicum of success.
    Last edited by SpecterTechOps; 02-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Thanked by: