Ballistics case for HTC Amaze

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'd want to see more pics of the case. I have a $9 rubber cover I got off AMZN[1] to protect in the interim before deciding on $40 for what looks a very nice Proporta leather slip case. The Diztronic case I received is great, certainly protects the phone's finish, but the makers left an exposed spot on the bottom for the case release button. Now ... who is going to use the case release button WHILE a protective shell is over it? No one. Duh. So I wouldn't spent more than $10 for a case and hope they got all the functionality correct.

Seems this Ballistic one covers 2 of the 3 holes around the camera. I've read anecdotes that these holes in the back are simply attachment points for internal antennae (and do not need to be exposed), but I think the 8 o'clock and 12 o'clock positions (while looking at the camera lens) do indeed have some opening or sensor in the internals. The one at the 3 o'clock position they leave uncovered, I don't see anything inside the phone to correspond to that hole. I could be wrong.

[1] Diztronic TPU case for HTC Amaze product id B005WCRYZ0 . I have a video review pending as well as written review. I took a razor blade/Xacto knife to the volume rocker cover; they left a cutout over the backshell release button (why'd you need to access that with the cover on, I dunno). But for roughly $9 a very nice cover.

Last edited:

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Why would you spend that much on a case ?
I got a clear hard one that protects it just great, slips in and out of pockets easily,
for $5.95 shipped.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Also got a really fantastic military grade screen protector too.
Best one I've had, very tough, and shouldnt need to be replaced ever.
You can easily get cheaper screen protectors but not as tough as this one.

NEW HTC Amaze 4G Invisible LCD Screen Protector Cover Skin by XtremeGuard | eBay

;)

glennjr15

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have tried three cases for the HTC Amaze 4G.

1. Ballistic SG - BALLISTIC SG HARD CASE COVER FOR HTC AMAZE RUBY - BLACK - BRAND NEW | eBay

2. MyBat Fishbone - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and

3. HTC Amaze 4G D3O? Band - Smoke - HTC Amaze D3O Protective Silicone Bumber Band (Smoke)

Looks
As far as looks are concerned, the D30 Bumper case by T-Mobile showcases the curves and elegant design of the HTC Amaze, and doesn't cover too much up. It is low profile, and is like lingerie for the phone. The MyBat Fishbone case would come in second place as it also has a some what low profile, and the color "pops." The "exo-skeleton-like" design looks good, and contrasts with the black rubber base cover. The Ballistic case would come in third, as it has a black exo-skeleton on top of a black rubber base cover, and kind of "clunky" looking. Not Frankenstein looking, but closer than the other two.

Protection/Functionality
As far as protection is concerned, the Ballistic case would rank number one. The Exo-skeleton/rubber combination, the bumper corners and contours of this case that don't allow for the screen to touch a flat surface, secures this phone better than any of the other cases. Buttons are molded in the right places, and easy/responsive to the touch. The phone can also be easily charged with the case on.

Second place would probably be a statistical tie b/n the MyBat - Fishbone case and the T-Mobile D30. If the phone were to fall on any corner or edge, I'd prefer the T-Mobile D30 hands down as it has this study rubber bumper around the edge that has interlocking impact spreading spreading technology (according to T-Mobile). The MyBat - Fishbone case has a soft rubber and no skeleton covering the edges.

If the phone fell flat on it's back, I'd prefer the MyBat - Fishbone case as it has a soft rubber layer covered by a flexible plastic exo-skeleton. Although neither the soft rubber layer, nor the plastic exo-skeleton would protect the phone much by themselves, together they'd do an adequate job if the phone were to fall on its back. The D30's back is a clear hard plastic shell that would hardly disperse the impact of a fall at all and would possibly crack if the phone were to fall on its back.

If the phone were to fall on it's face, the T-Mobile D30 Bumper band case would protect only slightly better (in my opinion) due to the material of the bumper being sturdier and less likely to separate from the phone during impact. The MyBat - Fishbone case would possibly shift upon facial impact, and expose the phone to potential damage.

Buttons on the MyBat - Fishbone case are somewhat molded, but not as defined as on the Ballistic case. Responsiveness to buttons being pressed is fine, but sometimes requires a couple attempts for the power button (molding may not align 100 percent with button, as is the case with the exoskeleton not completely wrapping around the rubber layer near some corners). Button pressing fort the D30 is EXTREMELY hard. It will definitely take some getting used to. I have seen some modifications online that supposedly allow better functionality, but this review doesn't take that into account. The ability to charge with the D30 bumper case on was not evaluated (sorry), but there is probably a workaround similar to the button pressing problem if there is an issue. Reported Bluetooth issues while cases are on was not evaluated, and one will still need to buy a screen protector. With all that said, here are some ratings:

Looks
1. HTC Amaze 4G D3O? Band - Smoke (5/5)
2. MyBat - Fishbone - Blue (4/5)
3. Ballistic SG - (3.5/5)

Protection/Functionality
1. Ballistic SG - (5/5)
2. HTC Amaze 4G D3O? Band - Smoke (4/5)
3. MyBat - Fishbone Blue (3.5/5)

Price
1. MyBat - Fishbone (5/5)
2. HTC Amaze 4G D3O? Band (4.5/5)
3. Ballistic SG (3.5/5)

Value*
1. Ballistic SG (4/5)
1. HTC Amaze 4G D3O? Band (4/5)
3. MyBat - Fishbone (3/5)

* Takes into account the potential cost of handset replacement based on the likelihood of product failure due to a drop. If this weren't factored in, the Price ranking would be the same for "Value."

Final Rankings
1. HTC Amaze 4G D3O? Band (17.5/20)
2. Ballistic SG (16/20)
3. MyBat - Fishbone (15.5/20)

Hope this helps... ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance