Screen under glass has a small area of discoloration

peterg21

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend has had her Amaze for under a month and I have not had much free time with it (it is her phone but I bought it for her). Overall, I am very happy with it but I noticed a few days ago when booting the phone that when the HTC screen (mostly white background) comes up I see a discoloration at the top right hand side. This screen is white but this area is slightly lighter and is about a 1/5th of an inch in rough diameter size. I then fired up a website which I used to use with my iphone to check for dead pixels and uniformity and it is there no matter the color. This is not a matter of the oleophobic coating wearing off as it appears to be under the glass.

I searched on this issue but I cannot find anything on this. I tried "discoloration", "staining" etc but nothing has come up.

She is with Videotron in Canada and there warranty reads "Start by consulting the ‘troubleshooting’ section of your device’s user guide to see if you can fix the problem yourself. If this isn’t possible, visit one of our points of sale. If a problem is found and is covered by the warranty, we will exchange your mobile phone"

Addendum - Reading the forums even more and chosing different search terms I do see with the EVO talk of a hot spot caused by heat. I cannot say mine (well my friend's) is the same. It is on the top right hand side and is not normally noticeable except in full screen. However, it is noticeable with an color, barring say dark ones. Blue, red etc all show it.

This surprises me but the key point is what is covered by the warranty. I have to dig into the warranty of HTC but I doubt it is the level of what you get say with an iphone with replacements (fully refurbished with new screens and backs over even a few dead pixels) but perhaps it is. With your experiences with HTC (which warranty Videotron will follow) is something this egregious an area that they would replace?

To me it would be as this is a lot more than a few dead pixels.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just create a BMP or JPEG that's pure white, copy it to the phone, and show it to the carrier you bought it from. If the screen is faulty (the white image isn't uniformly white), it should be covered under warranty. What's the confusion?