HTC Amaze battery life

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Can you guys tell me what you guys are doing about battery life and what your usage is like... Trying to get a feel of how you are getting around the battery situation.... :)
Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Tried nice defender and got this... And all had 40 plus percent remaining

stixzadinya

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
*This is my reply from another battery post and I don't use Juice Defender:

Before unlocking, I used to get about 13 -16 hours on a single charge and I'm more of a moderate to heavy user. Funny thing is my brother (also a moderate/heavy user) got the same phone at the same time as me but he only got about 9 hours or less usage time. The difference, I fully charged my phone (left it on the charger for two hours after green light came on) before turning it on and I let the phone completely drain before fully charging again while my brother didn't.

Here's some settings I use to help save battery:
*My network is on 4G only (Live in LA so 4g coverage is pretty good)
*Forward work POP email into a gmail account I've created so they Push and not Pull as they would if I were to set it up using the Mail App
*Facebook only sync contacts and calendar once per day and I turned off notifications
*Turned off automatic time update from network
*Turned off flip for speaker, pocket ring and lower ring when picked up (not sure exact phrasing in settings)
*Turned off phone locator. I use Where's My Droid
*I don't have Google backing up my phone. I use titanium backup
*I use accuweather from beautiful widgets and it updates every two hours
*Turned off Auto Brightness. Use Elixir toggle to control brightness and set to 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. 10% I use at night or in dark rooms (don't want to go blind with a bright screen) 25% indoors and 50% or 75% outdoors (75% if I have my sunglasses on)

Hope this helps.

My phone is unlocked now and with moderate use I get about 24 - 30 hours on a single charge. If you understand how to unlock Amaze I would recommend you do that and flash a custom ROM but only if you understand what you're doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: vsnlweb

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Moderate to heavy use, stock phone.

12+ hours.

I never turn off the phone unless theres something acting wierd.

I leave it on the charger all night.

The battery life on the Amaze is very good in my estimation compared to some other recently released phones.

I leave the screen brightness on the lowest setting 95 percent of the time unless I'm in bright sunlight.

;)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to try keeping the screen at 10%. I've been using Auto Bright, and letting Llama dim it later at night. Perhaps I'll have it set to 10% at Work and Home (location based profiles). I wish I could disable the soft-key backlights completely.

I also use Llama to reduce power consumption when I'm out and about. Unfortunately, the most time-consuming part of a post-factory reset is going into all the apps and telling them to stop friggin' syncing and updating every 30 minutes or something. Facebook, Google, Weather, you name it, today's Android phones have got a ton of crap installed that will immediately sap your battery unless you do something about it. NOT what I would call a great user experience.

All that said, I started using a replacement handset I got from T-Mo last week, and was using it on and off throughout the day while in all-day meeting/workshop at the office, and it only got down from 100% at 7 AM to about 30% at 6 PM. Better than the one I bought I think.

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
*This is my reply from another battery post and I don't use Juice Defender:

Before unlocking, I used to get about 13 -16 hours on a single charge and I'm more of a moderate to heavy user. Funny thing is my brother (also a moderate/heavy user) got the same phone at the same time as me but he only got about 9 hours or less usage time. The difference, I fully charged my phone (left it on the charger for two hours after green light came on) before turning it on and I let the phone completely drain before fully charging again while my brother didn't.

Here's some settings I use to help save battery:
*My network is on 4G only (Live in LA so 4g coverage is pretty good)
*Forward work POP email into a gmail account I've created so they Push and not Pull as they would if I were to set it up using the Mail App
*Facebook only sync contacts and calendar once per day and I turned off notifications
*Turned off automatic time update from network
*Turned off flip for speaker, pocket ring and lower ring when picked up (not sure exact phrasing in settings)
*Turned off phone locator. I use Where's My Droid
*I don't have Google backing up my phone. I use titanium backup
*I use accuweather from beautiful widgets and it updates every two hours
*Turned off Auto Brightness. Use Elixir toggle to control brightness and set to 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. 10% I use at night or in dark rooms (don't want to go blind with a bright screen) 25% indoors and 50% or 75% outdoors (75% if I have my sunglasses on)

Hope this helps.

My phone is unlocked now and with moderate use I get about 24 - 30 hours on a single charge. If you understand how to unlock Amaze I would recommend you do that and flash a custom ROM but only if you understand what you're doing.

Have you tried juice defender? And I don't think I would be putting a custom ROM cuz I love the sense GUI...

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Lol.... Just read the tip of your post... That you'd don't use it... My bad...

stixzadinya

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've tried Juice Defender before but I just didn't see a difference in regards to my battery life. A friend uses that program and it helps her but that's because she always leaves her wi-fi, bluetooth and GPS on all the time and JD can turn them off for you when you're not using them. If that's the type of user you are then I would recommend JD.

Regarding custom ROMs, it's really all personal preference but for me I like the ability to customize and the kernel/ROM tweaks to improve performance.

Chromejob, you should be able to change the syncing rules to those programs in settings/accounts & sync. From there, select on the account and you should be able to change the update schedule. For Facebook I update once a day and weather every 2 hours. Google pushes so it updates whenever there's a change. Other apps you should be able to change syncing in their settings as well. Like Pulse syncing options can be changed to sync every certain hours you pick, only when user opens app or wi-fi only.

Another thing, just because an app that you exited is still on your task manager or "running" doesn't mean that it's using CPU. It's in your RAM so the next time you open it so your phone doesn't have to use the CPU to open from it's memory/SD Card... in turn, saving battery life. Unlike a computer, keeping apps on your RAM is a good thing.

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's very good... When it's done charging and I pick up my phone it immediately goes down like 5 percent... I don't think this battery is very well constructed... I don't know if anyone has the same problem or if it's just mine...

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's very good... When it's done charging and I pick up my phone it immediately goes down like 5 percent... I don't think this battery is very well constructed... I don't know if anyone has the same problem or if it's just mine...

Try this: First, run your battery all the way down; remove it from charge two hours after the green light comes on; turn it on and put it back on charge; take it off charge when the green light comes back on; turn it off and repeat this several times. Sounds like nonsense, but it works. Do it about once a month or so.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm skeptical of stern recommendations to users to not charge all the way (which is tricky ... whaddya do, set an alarm to wake you up in the middle of the night while it's chargin?). I've been watching the performance of several chargers on my Amaze compared to the HTC charger. All the chargers are technically capable of 1000mA charging, but on the HTC charger, the phone takes up to 908mA (well, as displayed by Battery Monitor Widget). The Apple iPod charger doesn't show up as an "AC Charger" because Apple puts reference voltages on the D+ and D- lines that iPods recognize. Most devices recognize a direct short on the data lines to indicate the USB connection is a charger only, not a computer USB port (which is limited by the spec to 500mA, available in steps of 100mA). Another Duracell charger provides about 400mA - 600mA.

The charging records indicate that the HTC handset is intelligently governing the charging rate. As it nears 80%, 90%, and 100%, the measured current is reduced. Even if the mA gauge is not getting the data correct, look at the RATE if increase over the two-minute measurement intervals (the Y, or time, axis of the charts) ... it slows down a bit.

Both images are from overnight charge cycles, with screen turned off. Autosync and other periodic processes are disabled at night by Llama. Vertical indices represent one hour.

20120324-1258_appleipodchargerlevels.jpg
20120324-1301_htcchargerlevels.jpg

The top slope (last 10% of charging) seems shallower on the stock HTC charger than on others. I couldnt' tell you why ... I don't want to dismantle one to see if there are some intelligent feedback circuits in there in addition to the voltage conversion basics.

Battery Monitor has alarms for "Battery Full" and "Charging complete" and the "full" alarm follows the 100% by several minutes. The "charging complete" alarm has been as much as 20 minutes later. So if those alarms are triggered directly by phone indicators, then clearly the charging circuit is managing the charging process.

My take-away from this: I don't think you have to protect the phone from itself.

Last edited:

artj1977

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who is freaking out after buying the HTC Amaze and then reading this thread, don't! I thought I had made a mistake after I read all the posts here but decided to wait it out for a few days to see how it went. I love this phone and didn't want to take it back. After a few days I have not seen any difference in battery life compared to my last phone (mytouch 4g). And yes, I actually do use the phone. On any given day I am texting (50-100 texts), a few phone calls, taking photos, surfing the net, facebook, twitter, and just playing with the settings. I usually don't even drain the batter down to less than 50%. Now saying all that, I must also say, its a smart phone. In order to save batter life you have to make a few tweaks to the system. But unless you are a newbie, you know that already. It's funny, cause I was talking to the sales person when I purchased the phone about how everyone loves the phone they purchase when it's brand spanking new, but picks it to pieces withing weeks of it debut. It's sad, because the Amaze is a beautifully designed phone that works like a dream.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It really depends upon what you're running. If you've got apps that sync, if you play games like Quell or Osmos, if you have the email client checking several mailboxes every few hours, if you run Waze while commuting to work or home,... you will see battery drain. I guarantee it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon