Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By PatrickAkridge
  • 1 Post By stryker88
  • 1 Post By ChromeJob
  • 1 Post By Kazzxtrismus
  • 1 Post By ChromeJob
  • 2 Post By Don Carter
  • 2 Post By alasdairk
  • 1 Post By ChromeJob
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    stryker88's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Basically if I turn Auto-Sync on what does that do? Is it just another word for update? If I turn it off will the phone still give me FB, twitter and email notifications? When I turn it off the weather doesn't update at all. I guess I just need an understanding of what it does when it's on or off. I know that when it's off my battery lasts so much longer but I still want all those notifications. Also I was wondering if someone could tell me why when I sync my FB contacts and I text someone their phone number shows up in the actual text next to their name.
    Ex. Megan (+555-555-555)
    (text message)
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    PatrickAkridge's Avatar
    "The Button Pusher"

    Posts
    591 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cold as Ice - CM9 kraven

    Smile Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Quote Originally Posted by zackyv88 View Post
    Basically if I turn Auto-Sync on what does that do? Is it just another word for update? If I turn it off will the phone still give me FB, twitter and email notifications? When I turn it off the weather doesn't update at all. I guess I just need an understanding of what it does when it's on or off. I know that when it's off my battery lasts so much longer but I still want all those notifications. Also I was wondering if someone could tell me why when I sync my FB contacts and I text someone their phone number shows up in the actual text next to their name.
    Ex. Megan (+555-555-555)
    (text message)
    Hello there and welcome to AndroidCentral.

    Sync essentially syncs your contacts and other things with Google and other services. You may see all accounts on your phone by visiting Settings > Accounts and Sync

    The Sync part of Android syncs things such as Documents, Contacts, and other things to services such as Facebook, Google, Ubuntu One...

    When the device "syncs", it syncs the data from your phone onto the service's servers. That way if you switch phones, if your new phone would have Syncing capability, you could retrieve your contacts and documents back to the phone. The syncing part of Android is also simplistic in a way too... Just add the account, turn on Auto Sync, and your done.

    The "Auto Sync" feature can be changed from Settings > Accounts and Sync... That setting basically means that it will sync your device with the service's servers. If you turn Auto Sync OFF, you will have to go into Settings > Accounts and Sync and Sync the Accounts manually by tapping on them and tapping the menu key and selecting Sync Now.. This feature is good for those with limited data or restricted data on their Wireless Service Plan. I recommend keeping this option on when you have Unlimited Data that way your device will always be syncronized with the server's.

    As far as the question for Facebook, Android always does that. It pulls up the name of the contact followed by the number.. not just from Facebook...

    Hope it helped.
    Tap that LIKE and THANKS button below if I helped you out, please.
    Please click the like and thanks buttons if/when I help you out... Also, If you like my work, please consider donating. I greatly appreciate it! Donations are via PayPal, and you may use your debit/credit cards, as well as Bank accounts to help me out with the funds of continuing development of the LG Optimus S.

  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    stryker88's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    so does that mean I need sync on to receive email, fb, twitter ect. notifications/updates? because when my sync is off I don't get any notifications
    Thanked by:
    Art Guajardo likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Yes. There's an HTC widget you can put on your home screen to manually sync. You can also toggle auto-sync with the HTC Data control dashboard widget. I leave it on, and set various apps under Accounts & Sync to sync less frequently (e.g. 4 hours for weather, not 30 minutes). Frequent updates/syncs will kill your battery life IMHO.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    eric rooney likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    stryker88's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Thanks for the help. I just had one more quick question I am not currently receiving any email notifications for some reason even though I have them activated and it updates every 5 minutes and my auto-sync is on. Any suggestions?
  6. #6  

    Default

    Use Maildroid for emails... And srt sync to once per hour or two.. You battery life will double
    Thanked by:
    Art Guajardo likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zackyv88 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I just had one more quick question I am not currently receiving any email notifications for some reason even though I have them activated and it updates every 5 minutes and my auto-sync is on. Any suggestions?
    Check your mail client settings.

    // Sent from my Interociter //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:
    Art Guajardo likes this.
  8. #8  

    Thumbs down Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Never use a word to define that word. I came here to find out what the word "sync" means. You tell me in essence that "when you sync something, you sync it." That does not help at all.
    Thanked by 2:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Carter View Post
    Never use a word to define that word. I came here to find out what the word "sync" means. You tell me in essence that "when you sync something, you sync it." That does not help at all.
    Not an auspicious 1st post there chum.

    Try Wiktionary or Wikipedia for definitions.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    I have a quick question about syncing:
    I have multiple email accounts.
    If I were to sync them all, would that comingle their contacts, or would I just be syncing each of them to their counterpart services (pc, fb, etc.)?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Quote Originally Posted by TutorPros1 View Post
    I have a quick question about syncing:
    I have multiple email accounts.
    If I were to sync them all, would that comingle their contacts, or would I just be syncing each of them to their counterpart services (pc, fb, etc.)?
    The contacts will "comingle" (great choice of word) on your device but they will not cross pollinate to each mail account.

    // Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    I agree completely with Don Carter and I find ChromeJob's reply disrespectful and quite arrogant. Stryker asked "if I turn Auto-Sync on what does that do? Is it just another word for update? "

    He wants to know what sync means. In common with many, many "experts" I've come across on tech sites, the reply ignored the essence of the question and imparted information which while clear to someone already "in the know" means nothing to someone not part of the club.

    The problem techy people often have is that is that they know lots about tech but don't seem to know how to communicate with others.
    Thanked by 3:
  13. #13  

    Default "A put-down is a terrible way to say 'hello.'"

    Quote Originally Posted by alasdairk View Post
    I agree completely with Don Carter and I find ChromeJob's reply disrespectful and quite arrogant. Stryker asked "if I turn Auto-Sync on what does that do? Is it just another word for update? "

    He wants to know what sync means. In common with many, many "experts" I've come across on tech sites, the reply ignored the essence of the question and imparted information which while clear to someone already "in the know" means nothing to someone not part of the club.

    The problem techy people often have is that is that they know lots about tech but don't seem to know how to communicate with others.
    Hrmmm. Another great, first post. Welcome to the forums. ,:|

    I am admittedly, at times, arrogant and less tolerant of behavior that doesn't make sense to me. In this thread and others, where there was a question, I believe I generally provide a helpful or sufficient answer. But where a post is primarily negative (criticizing others, snarking about previous posts, deriding the topic), I may provide a comment that's less help and more fight fire with fire.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:
    Art Guajardo likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Humanism is such an art, isn't it "chrome job"??? Ol chum...
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Can someone give me an understanding of what Sync does

    Well gee willikers, I had the same question.

    From the TechTerms website: "Sync" is short for synchronize. When you sync a device, such as a cell phone, PDA, or iPod, you synchronize it with data on your computer. This is typically done by connecting the device to your computer via a USB or wireless Bluetooth connection. For example, you might sync the address book stored on your computer with your cell phone to update the contacts. If you have an iPod, you may connect it to your computer to sync songs, videos, and other data using Apple iTunes.
    When you sync a device with your computer, it typically updates both device and the computer with the most recent information. This is also referred to as "merging" the data. For example, if you have added a phone number to your phone since the last time you synced it with your computer, that number will be added to your computer's address book. Similarly, any numbers entered into the computer's address book since the last sync will be added to the phone. Most syncing programs also remove entries that have been deleted on either the device or the computer since the last sync.


    As a newbie to smartphones (and yes, this is my first post too), the "typically done" makes me nervous. It's not a given. So is Samsung Galaxy S3 "typical?" I accidentally deleted many entries on my google calendar, but my Samsung still (thankfully) has the entries. Since the word "typical" was used in defining "sync", I want to make sure when I "sync" that google transfers to my Samsung. In other words, I want to make sure my Samsung updates Google with my Samsung entries. Essentially I want to make sure they will merge; entries on samsung will transport to google.

    So please don't be harsh. I think this is a reasonable question to have been posed. I googled how to sync on Android and this website is the one that would seem to be the most helpful. Thanks...and "please be patient, God isn't finished with me yet."

Posting Permissions

B