Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Can it be unlocked?

My sister has t-mobile, and has offered to let me add a line on her plan. I want the HTC One, but I have a small problem. She doesn't pay her bills very well long term, and I don't want to sink money in a phone, and 3 or 4 months down the road, she gets her service disconnected, and I'm stuck with a phone that I can't get service on. I know the Google Nexus comes unlocked when you buy it new from t-mobile, and you can put a SIM card in from another carrier, turn if off and back on, and it works for that carrier. Same thing for all Verizon 4G/LTE capable phones.

Does anyone know if the HTC One is the same way? From what I read online, the google play ed. is carrier unlocked out of the box.

So, my question: Is HTC One carrier unlocked?
    If not, can I get it unlocked so I can use it on AT&T (for example, I haven't thought that far ahead yet), if my sister ends up not paying her bill and I can't use the phone through t-mobile? If so, how difficult is that to do? I'm okay on tech stuff on computers, but I've never tried this phone stuff, I don't know how difficult that can be.

I appreciate all help you can give me!

Default Re: Can it be unlocked?

Have you tried the HTC.com website?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, I haven't. Do you mean to just buy the phone from them directly, and then bring my own device to t-mobile? I haven't, and if it comes to that - buying my own device & bring it with me, I have several other options like ebay and amazon, and even some local places. I'm not ready to go that route just yet, though.

Again, what I'm trying to figure out right now is, if I sign up on a plan with t-mobile and buy the HTC One from them (at contract rates, which is like 1/3 to 1/2 of the price upfront), does the device come unlocked, out of the box, like the Google Nexus, so that I can use it with another carrier should the service become disconnected? I'm not sure what all phones they have that come like that. (if anyone knows of any others, that info would be appreciated, too).
    Or, if it does not come standard as SIM unlocked, how difficult is it to get unlocked?

All of the carrier branded units are locked to their respective carriers.
    The Google Play Edition is unlocked. BUT the Google Play edition is missing the 1700mhz aws radios to make 100% compatible with T-Mobile. It has the same radio chipset as the ATT version.
    It will still work in areas that TMO has re-farmed 1900mhz spectrum.

It is locked to the carrier usually. However, it can be unlocked to work with other carriers. I recently traveled overseas and called up T-Mobile and asked for the code to unlock it as I wanted to use it with a local carrier overseas. I received an email within 24 hours with the unlock code. I did use it overseas with a local carrier and it worked great.

It could very well be that I have been with T-Mobile for 10+ years and hence they unlocked it for me. So, YMMV.