HTC to unlock Sensation and Evo 3D bootloaders in September

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
HTC Just made a twitter post stating:

HTC
Devs, we?re making lots of progress on unlocking bootloaders. Please read our latest update for more details: Update on Bootloaders | Facebook

Going to their Facebook post it says:

**UPDATE 7/10**

We wanted to provide an update on HTC?s progress with bringing bootloader unlocking to our newest phones. We know how excited some of you are for this capability, and we?ve put significant resources behind making this change as soon as possible. While we wish we could flip a simple switch and unlock all bootloaders across our device portfolio, this is actually a complex challenge that requires a new software build and extensive testing to deliver the best possible customer experience.

We?re thrilled to announce today that software updates to support bootloader unlocking will begin rolling out in August for the global HTC Sensation, followed by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile USA and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. We?re in the testing phase for the unlocking capability now, and we expect it to be fully operational by early September for devices that have received the software updates. We'll continue rolling out the unlocking capability over time to other devices as part of maintenance releases and new shipments.

HTC continues its commitment to unlocking bootloaders and supporting the developer community. Because of the importance of this community to us, please expect an update on this about every few weeks as we make progress toward launch. Thank you for your patience and continued support!

So looks like they'll be pushing an update sometime in August in prep for a second update in September which will be the update that unlocks the bootloader. Hats off to HTC for this

tdubrpdx

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we'll have S-OFF before then, but HTC has turned me into a huge fan. The sensation is my first HTC device and I haven't been disappointed yet. S-OFF will make this device into a beast.

rex450se

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be a pessimist but I will only be an HTC believer after it happens. I really love their products. Since my T-Mobile Wing to the MyTouch line, my first Nexus One or HD2 all the way to the Sensation I have now. They are a great hardware manufacturer, but they are a company, and I will only believe this unlocking when it happens.

Victor

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
September makes sense. Quite frankly there are far more pressing and important issues that needs to be addressed with both the Evo 3D and Sensation than unlocking a bootloader. It would also be very wreckless to just go willy nilly and unlock the bootloaders. It would make sense for a large company like HTC to be professional and careful and to provide a better platform for unlocking the bootloader. Somewhat like Sony has done. Provide a dedicated site that explains what the bootloader is, what unlocking it does, the risks and benefits of doing so, an easy and simple way of doing it, and an easy and simple way of locking it back up if the person so chooses to do so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2