Neeed help w/ 3.5mm to USB cable for car stereo

mygt8a4re

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to get a 3.5mm to USB connector/cable to hook my Sensation into my JVC car stereo so I can play music as well as charge my Sensation (as opposed to just using the aux input wich has lower sound quality & does not charge the phone), But I ran across a couple different 3.5mm tips on the cables. One has 3 lines on the male barrel while another has 2 lines on the male barrel. Im just not sure what the lines mean & want to be sure I get the right one. I know the connector I use to connect to my Altec Lansing computer speakers in the bar room only has 2 lines on them but I want to be sure to get the right connector for my car... any input is appreciated!

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to get a 3.5mm to USB connector/cable to hook my Sensation into my JVC car stereo so I can play music as well as charge my Sensation (as opposed to just using the aux input wich has lower sound quality & does not charge the phone)...

I'm also looking for plug options for my car stereo.

I'm confused... So the 3.5mm plug goes into an aux input jack on the stereos head unit and the usb plugs into the phone? Is that right?
If so how does the phone get it's charge through the usb from the aux input???

mygt8a4re

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
heheh, yeah I messed that part up above....you really cant charge the device while listening to music. 3.5mm port to aux or USB for music streaming through cars stereo OR data cable (micro USB to USB) for charging.......Im not sure how true it is but Ive heard that sound quality using the stereos USB port is better than using the aux port. Might end up getting both cables to test this.....

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
heheh, yeah I messed that part up above....you really cant charge the device while listening to music. 3.5mm port to aux or USB for music streaming through cars stereo OR data cable (micro USB to USB) for charging.......Im not sure how true it is but Ive heard that sound quality using the stereos USB port is better than using the aux port. Might end up getting both cables to test this.....

Okay that makes more sense.

I have a head unit that is "iPod/iPhone" compatible and also claims to work with most other MP3 players. I'm curious how the microUSB to USB cable will work and whether my head unit will recognize the device.
I know my iPod running RockBox does not play through the stereo's USB; it shows up as "incompatible device" (it will if I boot into apple mode however), but my old iPhone does.

PS, if you use the 3.5mm aux input jack you may need to install a ground loop isolator. Those plugs are not very good at isolating engine/alternator whine.

Last edited:

mygt8a4re

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the tip 211....I did get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to use in the aux input & it works really well, no engine noise/wine interference. The volume is slightly lower than the tuner & cd player wich is what ive experienced in the past. Calls sound clear through the trucks speakers w/o the other end complaining of echos and the Sensation mic is picking up my voice well from a respectable distance... I did hook my data cable between the Sensation & JVC, it does not recognize the Sensation (was expected) but does charge it. I just change the scource to get somthing else, cd, radio, etc & the Sensation remains charging....this isnt that exciting as I cant get the same results hooking it to my car charger.....So, if you have a USB HU, this can be used as your car charger if you dont have one! Props for some people anyways....

KCphotog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Most head units with usb are looking for two things. An ipod/iphone or pin drive. Put the phone in storage mode and it will usually always find the music since it sees a storage device at that point. This is if the head unit allows the phone to do this. Not all will. Cheap units do not work as well as video units.

On the 3.5mm port. With the right cable you can play video as well with capable head unit. Look for the four contacts on the pin. The layout is not always the same from cable to cable so you have to double check the outputs.