Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tech_p#AC
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-Fi range seems a bit lackluster...

Just trying to get a feel for the detectable range these Sensations are good for.
    I had an iPhone 2g (first gen 8gb) before owning this phone. No data plan just jailbroken, unlocked and using wi-fi.
    In my house I have a wireless router in the living room. With the iPhone I was able to pick up signal from my bedroom (half signal but still good enought for web and short streaming) and master bathroom which are both just down the hall from the living room (bathroom is a fair distance closer and was able to get full strength signal).
    Now with the Sensation I get intermittent reception in the bedroom; intermittent as in, sometimes the Wi-Fi signal meter will appear and only show one bar (if that) but most of the time it wont even latch on at all. In the bathroom I get nothing... ever...

This seems a bit strange since the iPhone is considerably older and the sensation is supposed to be a hotrod.

Can anyone share any pre/post-device wi-fi coverage? Have you noticed the Sensation having less 'range' than your other phones?

Default Re: Wi-Fi range seems a bit lackluster...

My wi fi coverage is surprisingly good. My router is in the living room, and I get at least 3 bars, even upstairs, and usually full bars.

Hmmm... Bummer that yours seems so much more limited....

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

i noticed that exact same thing upstairs i seem to get signal at times as opposed to my old vibrant which gets signal all the time.
    Thanked by:

did you go to settings/wifi settings push menu and click advance and choose Best WiFI performance.
    My wifi been pretty decent, better than the mt4g i had

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

mine was not as good as either my Vibrant or my MyTouch 4g. By a fairly big margin. In fact, the phone disappointed me so much I sent it back after one week and got another MyTouch 4g, rooted it, and put Sense 3.0 on it. The Sensation wasnt a tight fit in the back, and rocked in there a bit. The wifi was poor, no camera button, and the pictures seemed less sharp than the MyTouch, even though they should have been better. Disappointed I wasted an upgrade on it. I should have waited for the MyTouch 4g slide. Oh, well.
    = I C E D R E E =

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

It might be effected by the way you hold it , Some HTC Sensation devices have this issue
    The Wi-Fi antenna is attached to rear cover (the upper plastic part near the camera) , in some phones when you touch that part or hold the phone in a specific way , might cause issues with the Wi-Fi (from poor signals to loss of connection)

check the link :

HTC Sensation death grip testing revisited. Are there different versions of the Sensation?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the replies. Ive tried various ways of holding the phone. Even tried with the case off (protector case not battery cover). The signal goes from bad to worse depending on how i hold it. Sad really because the phone likes to drop the signal completely if theres less than 1 or 2 bars showing then i spend most of my time trying reestablish the connecton.
    Works great in the living room where im 15' away...

@tech_p.
    I dont have any check box for "best wifi settings"

Talking Re: Wi-Fi range seems a bit lackluster...

Quote Originally Posted by 211 View Post
    @tech_p.
    I dont have any check box for "best wifi settings"
    Push Menu From Home Screen & Select Settings

Select Wireless & Networks

Select Wifi Settings

Push Menu & Select Advance

Finally Check Best Wi-Fi Performance
    Thanked by:
    matthewkreth likes this.

I've noticed the wifi on my HTC Sensation working in parts of my house where my Nexus One would have already given up and switched to Edge.

My wifi performance is far superior to the nexus one I had previously. I don't know if that's just the 802.11n as opposed to just the 802.11g but I couldn't be happier. Sad to hear you're having issues.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Sad, yes...
    Enabling "Best Wifi Performance" does not seem to do much, in fact if anything I notice my signal strength icon fluctuate more, even from the living room where I'm 20' away.