New Phone...New Issues???

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Really unhappy here. I had a Galaxy S 4G and sold it because I wanted a Gingerbread phone and heard that Sammy takes forever with updates (case in point GS4G is STILL on Froyo even amid all the massive amount of phones going to Gingerbread) plus it had VERY little internal memory (I think 500mb or something). So then I bought a G2x thinking that stock android would get Gingerbread faster! Loved the phone but the issues that plagued it were horrible. Finally got fed up with that when the update came out and because I had had so many issues I was on a referb and still had to wait LONGER for the update. So I sold my G2x and bought a Sensation. I'm in love with Sense 3.0, but not in love with the lack or root. But I'm dealing with that. My biggest gripe right now is that my WiFi calling isn't working right! I connect to the WiFi at work because my TMO signal is crap in my warehouse and for some reason 99.9% of the time my calls fail! I have to call around 3 times before the call goes through. On top of that, my text messages take forever to go through as well! Why do I have no luck with Android phones? I LOVE Android and the idea of it, the ability to customize and all that, but why do I have to have all these issues? Can someone help me solve this wifi connectivity problem?

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, now we have root...but my wifi calling issue remains. Why do I need to have a tmo data signal if I have wifi calling enabled??

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
are you sure you actually using the wifi does it have the wifi calling icon in the top left of the notification bar ?? my sisters works perfect instant text messags and calls go through always . it was a little confusing at first though .

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes wifi calling is active in the notification bar. The only thing not working is data. The bars for data are still there, but they are usually "empty". It's when they are empty that is the problem.

What do you mean by hard reset? Battery pull, or factory reset? If I factory reset will I lose the root that I worked so hard to get?

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Try this: open "Wi-Fi calling" app, tap menu button, then "Settings". Tap "Connection preferences" and pick "Wi-Fi preferred". I hope this helps.

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that was the default setting although I definitely appreciate your help!

When I opened the WiFi Calling app it had an error that said "You are not currently registered on the TMO network. Would you like to register now?" I believe that not having a good connection to TMO network is definitely hurting my connection. I would like to know though, why I need a TMO connection in order to call over WiFi! Shouldn't I only need my WiFi signal??

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I get that error once in a while, it has nothing to do with the cell signal. It's just registering you to the T-Mobile network, over the internet. Just click OK and you should be good to go. I have no signal in my house, none, nada, not even a shadow of a bar and still, when I turn on my wi-fi and wi-fi calling, I have full service. When I got my previous phone (myTouch 4G), the first one would drop the signal like a rock, within seconds of connecting. I replaced it the next day and the new phone connected instantly and never dropped the connection. Maybe you are experiencing the same issue.

aNYthing24

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes wifi calling is active in the notification bar. The only thing not working is data. The bars for data are still there, but they are usually "empty". It's when they are empty that is the problem.

What do you mean by hard reset? Battery pull, or factory reset? If I factory reset will I lose the root that I worked so hard to get?
The data bars are supposed to be empty while WiFi calling is active. You should only see how much WiFi single strength you have.

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thats just the thing! Sometimes they are, but sometimes they aren't. But when they aren't empty I started to notice that WiFi calling shuts off and disappears from the notification area. And that also coincides with when I have difficulty making calls. But the weirdest thing of all is that my texts won't go through if the data bars are empty.

I tried this all at home and had no issues (other than people telling me i sounded very far away while on a wifi call).

Anymore ideas?

By the way, thank you again to everyone who has tried to help so far!!