Sensation with AT&T 3G

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So here's a question that most of you T-Mobile fans will hate me for, but js the sensation compatible with AT&Ts 3G bands? Id like to buy one and get it unlocked. Thanks!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
So here's a question that most of you T-Mobile fans will hate me for, but js the sensation compatible with AT&Ts 3G bands? Id like to buy one and get it unlocked. Thanks!

I'm sorry but threads like these are redundant. T-Mobile & AT&T use different frequencies for their 3G. You always have the option of purchasing it unlocked and using it on EDGE, however, I don't recommend that because the fastest I got with EDGE was like 0.05mbps. Actually your best bet would be to terminate service with AT&T and go to T-Mobile. That way you'll get awesome download speeds and have an excellent phone. If T-Mobile isn't an option, go to Sprint, you'll get truly unlimited data and the Evo 3D is practically the same phone.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
There are a few problems with going to T-Mobile. Their service is easily the worst in Wisconsin by far where I am and im always roaming on edge with AT&Ts towers anyways. Secondly, Sprints 3G may be unlimited, but speeds are terrible, somewhere around .3 kb/s. Their plans are also pretty polarizing, as you can't get service with them without signing a contract and the prices are pretty high, which is likely how they support unlimited data. The only reason I asked about the Sensation is that I had it on T-Mobile for about a week and the service was terrible, but I liked the phone alot. I am aware that T-Mobile and at&t work on different bands, but I had heard somewhere that the Sensation worked on both.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There are a few problems with going to T-Mobile. Their service is easily the worst in Wisconsin by far where I am and im always roaming on edge with AT&Ts towers anyways. Secondly, Sprints 3G may be unlimited, but speeds are terrible, somewhere around .3 kb/s. Their plans are also pretty polarizing, as you can't get service with them without signing a contract and the prices are pretty high, which is likely how they support unlimited data. The only reason I asked about the Sensation is that I had it on T-Mobile for about a week and the service was terrible, but I liked the phone alot. I am aware that T-Mobile and at&t work on different bands, but I had heard somewhere that the Sensation worked on both.

I believe the Sensation does have a radio physically capable of AT&T 3G bands, which were built in so the phone will be ready when/if the AT&T/T-Mobile merger happens. But they will not "unlock" your radio for those bands before the possible merger, and there is no way to do it yourself (no hacking method is available).

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe the Sensation does have a radio physically capable of AT&T 3G bands, which were built in so the phone will be ready when/if the AT&T/T-Mobile merger happens. But they will not "unlock" your radio for those bands before the possible merger, and there is no way to do it yourself (no hacking method is available).

Do you have a link for that? I never heard that. Hopefully it does and the Sensation can run on AT&T when the merger is completed.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly what I thought. Looks like ill have to wait awhile then. Thanks!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a link for that? I never heard that. Hopefully it does and the Sensation can run on AT&T when the merger is completed.

I saw the bands on the HTC website before the Sensation was released - you should be able to find it there. A Google search should also give many links :)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I saw the bands on the HTC website before the Sensation was released - you should be able to find it there. A Google search should also give many links :)

Then if he unlocked the phone why wouldn't the AT&T bands work? I always thought as long as the phone was unlocked to any SIM card all the bands in the phone would work on a new carrier as long as they matched?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Then if he unlocked the phone why wouldn't the AT&T bands work? I always thought as long as the phone was unlocked to any SIM card all the bands in the phone would work on a new carrier as long as they matched?

This is by design. T-Mobile wants the phone on their network, which does not yet include AT&T.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked bell sensation on ATT 3g just fine. Negrielectronics sells them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

JesseMT4G

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why they can't make all radio frequencies the same. They do it for 2G phones, so why not for at least 3G.

Have wifi at home, so I will be fine there, but soon as I leave home then.......:(

Still in hopes this don't go through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy