T-Mobile update :D

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
How funny - I just flashed the European 2.3.4 update but I saw T-Mobile was sending out theirs. Well I am curious to see how the new radio performs..

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I know nothing about rooting and have no intention of doing it but that really sucks you don't get the official tmobile updates. Like once you flash a new rom is the stock rom completely gone?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can still get "official T-Mobile updates", just not OTA. The update needs to be "cleaned" so your bootloader version doesn't change, possibly closing the exploit that allows S-OFF/root. S-OFF and root gives you more options for updates, not less (I'm on the European 2.3.4 for example).

And you can always go back to a complete stock state using an RUU (and a few steps before it).

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have a bunch of noob questions.

What does OTA stand for? I realize it has something to do with the update I just want to know what the acronym means.

Do I have this right?
when the "official" update gets pushed to my phone I should avoid updating it unless I... "plan on staying 100% stock for the foreseeable future"?
So that leaves me waiting for a modified official update?

I'd like to resolve the performance issues on this phone as soon as possible but not at the expense of being able to root/customize it later on. If that means ignoring the "OTA" and waiting for a hacked/modified/whatever version of the update that's fine; I can wait.

Thanks guys, I've been lurking in the android forums for the last month and a half learning a lot.

~EDIT~
Kay, nevermind... OTA= "Over The Air"
Makes sense.

Last edited:

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay I goofed.

I was so excited to see the OTA available for my phone, (after having a G2x and waiting and waiting and waiting...) that I downloaded it and clicked install completely forgetting about S-OFF and ROOT. Currently my phone has the android guy with an orange exclamation point inside a white triangle.

Did I just hose my Sensation???

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay I goofed.

I was so excited to see the OTA available for my phone, (after having a G2x and waiting and waiting and waiting...) that I downloaded it and clicked install completely forgetting about S-OFF and ROOT. Currently my phone has the android guy with an orange exclamation point inside a white triangle.

Did I just hose my Sensation???

If it has been like that for a while, pull your battery and try again. In general I wouldn't suggest non-stock phones do the OTA update..

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I pulled the battery and phone booted fine. Update did NOT install though. Did any of the guys at XDA root the new update yet? I saw that some of the better mods are using 2.3.4...is that from the OTA?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I pulled the battery and phone booted fine. Update did NOT install though. Did any of the guys at XDA root the new update yet? I saw that some of the better mods are using 2.3.4...is that from the OTA?

No not yet, so I'm going to do it myself. It's going to be 100% stock/rooted - I'm downloading the files now. I'll need some testers if you're interested.

Edit: the internet connection I have now is so slow that I might just wait for a stock flashable zip to appear on XDA. Can't be downloading and uploading all day..

Last edited:

mrrobotanger

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine, homescreens waaaaay smoother now, video chat!! We'll see about battery life.

So far, battery little is drastically improved. Yesterday I woke up and listenned to music on a three hour bike ride, then some more in the car, plus normal daily use, still had half battery at 9pm. This blows pre update battery life away.

Last edited:

rickm8384

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
@ragnarokx, I would, but I just flashed Leedroid and then found a site where some guy stripped down the 2.3.4 update so that he could flash ONLY the new radio and bootloader since after this update bootloaders now say ****LOCKED***** on them. Seems to be working out VERY well. But if leedroid starts to crap out on me I think I will come back to stock. Hopefully by then you'll have all the kinks worked out!!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
@ragnarokx, I would, but I just flashed Leedroid and then found a site where some guy stripped down the 2.3.4 update so that he could flash ONLY the new radio and bootloader since after this update bootloaders now say ****LOCKED***** on them. Seems to be working out VERY well. But if leedroid starts to crap out on me I think I will come back to stock. Hopefully by then you'll have all the kinks worked out!!

I'd be interested in trying out the new radio. Do you have a link?

Edit: nvm, found it :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2