2.3.4 power button issue

chiefcastor

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been having odd power button issues since updating to 2.3.4. It is almost like it is getting stuck or something.

Sometimes when I hit the power button to turn off the screen, the screen goes off for half a second then comes back on. This also happens when going from off to on (i.e. flicker on then back off), but it seems rarer.

Sometimes when I hit the home button (and just the home button), it takes a screenshot like I am hitting the button as well even though I am not.

All of this is fixed by just hitting the power button a few times.

Needless to say it is annoying. I thought it might be something mechanical, but I took the case off the back and the issue still occurred. It also seems like the button is clicking then unclicking (i.e. not getting stuck). I had no issues prior to updating to 2.3.4.

Anyone else had this happen or know a fix or workaround?

fasst27

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you got some gunk between you button and the phone. Take it apart and and use a Q-tip to see if there is anything you can clean off.

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Same problem, mainly the part concerning taking screen shots! I would tap the home button, and it will take a shot. After hitting the home button about 2-3 more times, and 2-3 screen shots later, it would finally go back to normal. i actually restarted and shut down my phone, and have yet to see the problem come back. it may be too soon to tell:confused:

libertycityfd

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Same exact issue here, gallery is filling up with random screen shots, hitting the power button a couple times makes it stop though. The update made things so much better but this is a tiny bit annoying.

rapid1

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Who here has used Revolution??? I installed it the day after the update came through T-Mobile. I am kind of confused though as I can boot into recovery and do whatever I want, but root explorer reports to me that I am not rooted even though I have done the battery boot check and I am S-Off and can boot right into recovery as I said!:cool:

sfarias

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue (takes screenshots when press home screen). It is probably related to my momentarily placing my phone in a cup of hot coffee in the car. Some coffee got inside the phone, but not enough to change the water damage indicator. Nonetheless, the volume buttons seemed sticky for a couple of days after that and so I suspect the power button has gunk in there somewhere. Time to try cleaning it again.

anon(441125)

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I got my T-mobile HTC Sensation on 7/08/11 and received the 2.3.4 OTA update last week. Ever since the update, I am having the power button issue and the home button issue: At times, I have to press the power button 2-3 times to get the screen to turn on and sometimes after one press it will turn on, flash back off and then back on. Also, pressing the Home button will sometimes take a screenshot. I usually fix this by pressing the power button again and this stops the screenshot when pressing home.

These issues are occurring several times throughout the day and are extremely annoying! I have read in other Android forums that other people began having these same issues with the Sensation after the 2.3.4 OTA update. The update DID however fix the problem I was having with my app icons not displaying properly if the app was moved to the SD Card. Before the update, my icons for apps moved to the SD Card just looked like the generic android robot icon. I read in another forum this was an HTC Sense 3.0 issue, since the 2.3.4 update, my icons are refreshing to the original application icon and appear normal.

I'm frustrated though with the Power Button issue and the Home Button issue. HTC & T-mobile need to address this and find a fix. If anyone knows more about what could be causing the issue please comment.

libertycityfd

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the screenshot, power button issue more, but now I'm getting an issue where the phone will "reset" to the white HTC screen and "reload" the phone again for 20 seconds or so almost every time I hit the home button. It's kind of annoying but I don't know if it's related to the other issues too.

JamesCanyon

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Same issue with screen shots, have to push power button multiple times to get it to stop. Happens VERY frequently. Anyone with a clue for a fix???

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Who here has used Revolution??? I installed it the day after the update came through T-Mobile. I am kind of confused though as I can boot into recovery and do whatever I want, but root explorer reports to me that I am not rooted even though I have done the battery boot check and I am S-Off and can boot right into recovery as I said!:cool:

I'm using Revolution ROM. On root explorer you have to grand it super user access.

steveo1198

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine was driving me so crazy I just got off the phone with T-Mo and theyre sending me a replacement device. I believe this power button issue to be more of a hardware based issue than software. In addition this power button may also be causing we Sensation users the issues we've been having with the screen shots. The T-Mo tech stated to me that HTC is "well aware" of this issue and is working on pushing out an OTA Update to correct the screenshot issue. In regards to the power button issue...we shall see.

payoob

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine was driving me so crazy I just got off the phone with T-Mo and theyre sending me a replacement device. I believe this power button issue to be more of a hardware based issue than software. In addition this power button may also be causing we Sensation users the issues we've been having with the screen shots. The T-Mo tech stated to me that HTC is "well aware" of this issue and is working on pushing out an OTA Update to correct the screenshot issue. In regards to the power button issue...we shall see.

@MisterDroid, did you get a replacement phone through your insurance? Or did they send one to you free of charge? It took me 3 calls to get that same "well aware" response, but they said it was affecting all devices and that they should have a fix soon. They wouldn't send me a replacement phone unless I decided to put in an insurance claim. Let us know if your replacement phone doesn't have any issues.

adamburr

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've also been getting the same problem. Last week I sent it to HTC to be repaired. It's come back in full working order and they fixed it, collected it and delivered it back to me free of charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac