Sensation as a car mp3 player

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question but can I use a standard micro USB to USB cord as a way to interface my Sensation to my car head unit and play mp3s from the device? Also when I get calls is it smart enought to mute the music so I can answer the call?

Thanks

HeyBob

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question but can I use a standard micro USB to USB cord as a way to interface my Sensation to my car head unit and play mp3s from the device? Also when I get calls is it smart enought to mute the music so I can answer the call?

Thanks
I don't know about using the usb jack as a audio out similar to the way you'd have a usb headset. I believe the devices identifies itself on USB connections as a smartphone and not an audio device. There may be an app for this and worth hunting around though.

The second part is yes. Audio will mute for incoming calls and will fade back in as soon as the call ends... at least when connected via the audio jack.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the same question ,
In an episode of Hawaii Five-O Kuno plugs her Inspire 4G into her OEM stereo (Chevy Cruze RS) via USB & played her phone's music in the car & controled it through the head unit

I've tried connecting my Old MILESTONE? to my Kia Forte's head unit via the USB port , but it didn't workout , I kept getting errors !!!!
Which made think its a HTC Thing

Has anyone tried this?

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
There are probably head units capable of this, by mounting your phone as a storage device (same way you're mount it while hooked up to a PC)... But I'm pretty sure the vast majority of stock head units (even on luxury cars) won't do it... Ford's Sync might be the exception. Either way, Bluetooth is a far simpler solution and the quality is acceptable, not to mention the freedom of just getting in your car and hitting play on the steering wheel to play tunes from your phone, even if it's still in your pocket/bag.

The vast majority of recent head units that I've seen let you do music payback as well as calls over Bluetooth and they handle both seamlessly. You can even get 12V powered kits that plug into your aux unit and replicate the same functionality, usually minus steering wheel controls, though if you can track down the Kensington Liquid Aux I highly recommend it (the remote is awesome). If you need to charge the phone you can just plug in a standard charger (the Kensington unit has a charging port too btw, so it doesn't take over your 12V port).

Last edited:
Reactions: User One

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Using the 3.5mm audio jack will connect any Android (or any other mobile phone) to your car's audio system.

Yeah but without controls at the headunit which ultimately is what I'm after.
Basically I want it to work like my iPhone did.

My stereo does not have bluetooth.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You can use a USB Flash Drive instead , thats what I started to do
Instead of plug-in my iPod or my MILESTONE (Atrix now) via 3.5 cable & lose Steering button controls
Plus , you will get a great audio quality & won't have to worry about forgetting your phone\iPod in the car

I know that's not what are you looking for , but its an alternative way to do it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance