turning off 4g

reroshaggy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Although it may just be for me but even on 2g my phone still uses my allotted high-speed data plan (something I'm fighting t-mobile about). Thought I'd save for the rest of month so I switched to gsm only for a while and checked my plan and it said I've been using my high-speed.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Although it may just be for me but even on 2g my phone still uses my allotted high-speed data plan (something I'm fighting t-mobile about). Thought I'd save for the rest of month so I switched to gsm only for a while and checked my plan and it said I've been using my high-speed.

I believe it goes this way: you have your, let's say 2Gb, high speed data plan. So the first 2Gb you are using on the network are delivered by T-Mobile at max speed, it does not matter that your device is set to download at lower speed. They pushing you max speed and you bottle-neck it on your device. So, you are not gaining any savings by throttle down yourself for the first 2Gb.

reroshaggy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thnx for the explanation. I get it now after the fact but still seems ridiculous to me especially since I don't get 4g everywhere I go so why if I only have 2g available should I be wasting my high-speed (which doesn't run in Highspeed).

Stropdas

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I've heard from someone you can dial a code, when you do so you will see a menu where you can shut down the 4g and you than use 3g like normal phones. When you enable gsm only the phone is running on gprs, am i right? Someone else heard about this?

kenman345#AC

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've heard from someone you can dial a code, when you do so you will see a menu where you can shut down the 4g and you than use 3g like normal phones. When you enable gsm only the phone is running on gprs, am i right? Someone else heard about this?

Things like this would, in most cases that I am aware of, be done through rooting your phone and modifying the radios or the ROM. Technically though, the Sensation 4G uses HSPA+ which is an advanced form of 3G technologies. Unfortunately it seems that the standard has a similar effect as LTE does on phones, causing battery drain that is less than what one would hope for.

I am currently on the search for an application that will force 3G usage until it sees that their is something to download, and then switch to 4G. In most cases, this would seem like a logical way to use the phone. 4G is fast and cool, but its not the best primary antenna usage just yet. I know we are paying for 4G speeds and stuff, but most people wont notice the difference in speeds if they have a program to use 3G antennas for things under a certain file size. I know my emails dont need to be on my phone a half second faster, as long as im getting them within a minute of when they show up on the server, im happy.

EDIT: I will post information about my findings if I find any type of application like the one I mentioned above