I'm trying to backup and reset my phone - can't take it anymore!

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My Sensation crashes almost every time I pick it up now. I'm not able to make outgoing calls half the time, either. I can't take it anymore. I need to do SOMETHING to try to fix this problem. I've been told that backing it up and factory resetting it might cure all of my problems. Does anyone have any advice for how to do this? I'm looking through other forums and finding some advice..... thought I'd ask other Sensation owners for your thoughts before I do it. (I'm getting a new phone later this month but I've got to make this thing work in the meantime!)

Thank you!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your device is rooted then you have quite a few options...

If your device is stock/unrooted then the key things you can do and should be most worried about would be syncing your contacts/calender to your Gmail account. Check your settings on this...

Also in Settings under Backup or similar will be an option to sync/backup apps to Google services. This will keep track of your apps downloaded, but NOT the data associated with them. (That is a downfall to stock/unrooted)

Text messages can be saved with a handy app like SMS Backup & Restore (Free) from the Play Store.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
In the same boat. Download Helium Backup (formerly Carbon) and you can download to your SD card or to your computer from the free version. Doing it to the computer is a bit tricky (in that there are no instructions) but I got it to work yesterday.

However, before doing a factory reset, I uninstalled all the Go Launcher Themes on my system except a few, rebooted and now it works awesome. I uninstalled GO Launcher a while back because it was such a resource hog and that helped as well. Just saying to try uninstalling some apps first before going all the way and resetting.

If you have questions about the Helium app once you are using it, I'll try to answer them for you.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. It is not rooted - sorry, forgot to mention that.

I already did the SMS Backup, and then I made sure the backup file was on my SD card. I have all of my google stuff sent to sync, so that should be good. I do not, however, know if my photos sync anywhere. I do not believe they do. Will I lose those, or do they live on my SD Card? Is there a way to make sure they are on the SD card? Uploading them to somewhere would take forever and I doubt I have the battery life to make that happen today! :-/

THANK YOU!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. It is not rooted - sorry, forgot to mention that.

I already did the SMS Backup, and then I made sure the backup file was on my SD card. I have all of my google stuff sent to sync, so that should be good. I do not, however, know if my photos sync anywhere. I do not believe they do. Will I lose those, or do they live on my SD Card? Is there a way to make sure they are on the SD card? Uploading them to somewhere would take forever and I doubt I have the battery life to make that happen today! :-/

THANK YOU!
The Helium App backs up apps. Not sure about anything else, now that you mention it. Can you connect the phone to your computer and copy the photos there? If they are on your SD card though, I would think you'd be fine. Especially if the card isn't in the phone when you reset it.

Good luck.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
At this point, I don't really care if I lose my aps. I'm getting an S4 on May 30th so I just need this one to work until then. I'm going to lose my "place" in games and whatnot when I switch phones, anyway, so no biggie there. I've got the important data off, so I think it might be time to give this a try!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Helium backs up app data and lets you restore to a different device. Maybe worth a shot? You can just select a couple of apps to back up. You don't even have to do the whole phone.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I did it! The phone hasn't crashed to that dang "HTC" screen since I did it, and I'm reinstalling some aps. It's definitely got less lag than it did. So far, so good! :)

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I am glad the reset worked for you

I am glad the reset worked for you GB333. Remember that Applications are often the first thing guilty of causing problems on Android phones. Especially those annoying force close error messages. So if you ever download an application onto your phone and your phone starts acting up then it?s likely that app causing problems and uninstalling that app might be the best idea.

A full backup and reset on an Android phone can solve most of the common issues that can occur especially software related issues.

Like Paul627g and gnr_2 pointed out backing up the phone is the most important thing to do before the reset, as it erases everything from the phone and puts it back to like new condition.

Anyways, I hope you Love your Galaxy S 4 I know that I love mine. You will love the S4?s File management system as well. Samsung phones make it easy to move files from a Samsung phone to its SD card.

~ Moneypenny ~

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon