Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Question Is The Sensation Worth A 2 Year Contract ?

Anyone tempted to do a new contract by this phone ?
    I know I am.

Hebrews 13:8

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I don't really think so. Unless I'm missing something, it's not a 4G device. They only mention 3G on its specifications page:

Aside from that, the specs are top notch.

For T-Mobile users the G2X still deserves first consideration. But the Sensation is nice.

Pretty sure it is a 4G phone. Especially since it is called "Sensation 4G"

For me it is not worth the contract, because I use MySimpleMobile without contract ($60/mo unlimited everything). So I will just have to pay through the nose for the phone. It all works out evenly in the first year, and then the second year is PROFIT!

ROM
    Stock(too scared to hack)

No, I don't think any phone EVER will be worthy of a two year contract because especially in Android, a new and better phone will be out within two months. Buy it SIM-free and get a SIM-only plan and once, a new and better phone is out, sell the old phone and buy the new one and you still get to keep your number and stay on the same carrier.

2 year contracts are normal, whether its worth it or not is objective. This phone is better than the G2X tho. Processor, resolution, onboard memory and in all honesty HTC has a better track record than LG as far as phones go.

Global Posts
    10,407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Nothing is worth a 2 year contract. Just think about it, buying phones at retail, and going month to month, you can sell said device for 75% and cover that much in cost on new device. Much better than being stuck i think.
    Banned

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Gingerbread

No, I will not be getting locked down with that phone

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

2 year? hell ya!!

But they make us sign 3 year contracts here

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acjames View Post
    2 year contracts are normal, whether its worth it or not is objective. This phone is better than the G2X tho. Processor, resolution, onboard memory and in all honesty HTC has a better track record than LG as far as phones go.
    How is the processor better? Just because its clocked at 1.2 ghz? I'll give you screen resolution & onboard memory. Other than that their both going to do the same stuff. At the end of the day, Android is still Android. You can't go wrong with either phone. & me personally I prefer a 4" screen to a 4.3" screen. & an vanilla android experience. I'll take the G2X anyday over this.

As far as the contract goes... No phone is worth a contract. Esp when you have craigslist!

ROM
    Stock(too scared to hack)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Nothing is worth a 2 year contract. Just think about it, buying phones at retail, and going month to month, you can sell said device for 75% and cover that much in cost on new device. Much better than being stuck I think.
    Finally someone who agrees with me.

maybe i'm missing something but if I'm already with t-mobile and I'll be with them for at least the next 2 years. (actually 1 year till att pulls the plug and lets us out of contract) what's wrong with getting a discount on a phone I want regardless?

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

It looks nice as a T-Mobile customer, but considering I'm not in a 4G area with T-Mobile (but I am with Sprint), and my contract expires soon, I'm finding the Evo 3D more appealing.

#MAC33 are you dumb? The g2x is based upon cortex a9 . (It has the so called superchip tegra 2) . The tegra too is extremely weak considering its a cortex a9 . Basically they underpowered. The iPad 2 cortex a9 also know as a5 chip, destroys it because it utilizes the architecture well. The iPad 2 offers beautiful shadowing and textures. But I hate ape idevices hence I am on a Android fanboy site. The snapdragon 3g ( inside the evo 3d and sensation, based upon cortex a9, destroys the iPad 2. Clock rate has nothing to do with it. The scorpion does 1080p and a higher frames per second and handles 3d better. Scorpion 3g>iPad 2>tegra 2. Coupled with more memory higher resolution and the fact HTC updates old phones ( I have a desire HD soon to e gingerbread. Owned a original desire and heard of was getting it too even though it was obsolete. I was more than happy, so I will always go HTC. I like sense too. But all in all to a geek the sensation owns the g2x. Coupe that with am upgrade in 5 months time, sensations are really getting too me!

Any phone can be a 6 month, 1 year or two year phone. Sell your smartphone on ebay or craigslist for $250 to $300, add to it and get you the next big thing.

You can do this without renewing your contract and it's much cheaper than that crap best buy is offering with their buy back program.

Are you going to be with your carrier for two years, or do you expect to hop to a different carrier?

If you're going to be with your carrier two years, then take the free money and get the phone cheaper. If you're planning on hopping to a different carrier, then don't get the contract.

It's really not that complicated.

I'm jumping ship from AT&T (I've got it all planned out, trust me) and getting the G2X, but the Sensation definitely has me thinking. The "Pyramid" official release info was something I was holding out for before I pulled the trigger.

LG makes some **** dumbphones for AT&T, but this Optimus 2X is the first high-end phone from them that's really catching my eye. The four-inch form factor appeals more to me than 4.3". I ditched my Inspire for the Atrix for that very reason. One-handed use is much better on the narrower phones, but the 4.3" 16:9 screen on the Sensation looks like it would work well.

People want to talk about software upgrades and whatnot, and how HTC updates their older phones.... I thought we were on an Android forum? You people really wait for official updates? I think not. Software doesn't mean anything, it's all about the hardware. HTC's track record with software doesn't mean anything to me, it's their track record with hardware. Everyone touts their HW as being great, but in reality, their earpieces, loud speakers, and battery life SUCK. I've owned the Desire, Desire Z, Inspire 4G, Nexus One, HD2, and they're all subpar. I don't know why I keep trying, but I'm breaking the cycle with this one.

LG G2X, here I come.

I see just about every phone in service, as I work on them daily. Lg does make a solid device, even the cheap optimus on sprint is built very well, having said that, htcs quality is still better, and they make the best looking phones out imo.

i'm with my current network for the long haul they look after me and although sometimes i wince when i get the bill nine times out of ten i know ive had my moneys worth
    getting the sensation on an upgrade 2 yr contract is a no brainer for me and yes at some point in the next 2 years i will just buy a new handset because i'm bored ............... but i'll still be with my carrier regardless of handset

Here's my concern. It doesn't appear to have AT&T's UMTS bands. This phone's not going to work in a year and a half except on EDGE.

Default AT&T or not?

the real question is, will it work with AT&T bands??????????????????????? if not, then what's the point..

My concern about the Sensation is the unibody design.Looks real well-built but it seems there's little hope of getting an extended battery for it.IMO LG made the right call with Vanilla Android on the G2x.Let Google handle the OS updates while LG focuses on the hardware.HTC is usually the best when it comes to OS updates so the Sensation will be in good hands.

My concern is the version of Snapdragon, when will we see 8960? That will be a monster SOC. Also after seeing Moto use a 1930mAh battery I'd like to see OEM's go larger.

The processor used is the 3rd Gen one which is normally Clocked at 1.5ghz however it is underclocked for temperature and batttery. The benchmarks are some of the highest and that's just stock. Imagine overclock. And custom roms. It outperforms the ipad 2 and have graphics of an xbox. Couple that with HTC software its a really good package. I have tried all sorts of Roms and I just love stock. But I know the hardware is there and price is right.

Still A8 based though. I want A9 at least for the out of order processing.
    8960:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast