Is the HTC Sensation Too Thin?

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the new style and shape. They've kept with the overall mojo of the other 4.3 screen premium HTC's. BUT... what about the battery life on this phone? Would it have made sense to make this phone a few millimeters thicker and then design a slightly thicker battery for longer battery life?

How much can updated or optimized software aid in extending the useful hours of battery life? Will this phone suffer the same battery issues as the other 4.3 screen HTC's?

thumb_550_htc-sensation-official.jpg

Note how thin this phone is in profile view:
htc-sensation-vodafone.jpg

Would you trade a few millimeters of thickness for better battery life? And I am not talking about those horrible Quasimodo
28bws54.gif
inspired huge accessory back battery covers that are currently available for some of the other HTC 4.3's!

Last edited:

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I love the new style and shape. They've kept with the overall mojo of the other 4.3 screen premium HTC's. BUT... what about the battery life on this phone? Would it have made sense to make this phone a few millimeters thicker and then design a slightly thicker battery for longer battery life?

How much can updated or optimized software aid in extending the useful hours of battery life? Will this phone suffer the same battery issues as the other 4.3 screen HTC's?

thumb_550_htc-sensation-official.jpg

Note how thin this phone is in profile view:
htc-sensation-vodafone.jpg

Would you trade a few millimeters of thickness for better battery life? And I am not talking about those horrible Quasimodo
28bws54.gif
inspired huge accessory back battery covers that are currently available for some of the other HTC 4.3's!

The thickness of the sensation is a good. Plus you can always put a case around to make it thicker.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't let the photo fool you, it's 11.3mm thick.

It's pretty bad how much more Samsung or Motorola can fit into a smartphone and still put a huge battery in them. HTC, not so much.

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Battery power

Don't let the photo fool you, it's 11.3mm thick.

It's pretty bad how much more Samsung or Motorola can fit into a smartphone and still put a huge battery in them. HTC, not so much.
This is the monstrosity that I am talking about EggoEspada:

3-20-11-htc-thunderbolt-extended-battery.jpg

This is what adding the larger battery pack to the back of the Thunderbolt looks like. Really craptastic. Just wondering if HTC should or could come up with a larger battery that can be designed to fit into (perhaps a slightly thicker back panel) that would look more natural?

With the main complaint of the Thunderbolt/EVO/etc phones being battery life, I am just wondering if we have something better to look forward to here.

DiVirus

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if its too think but its sad how HTC can not come up with their own ideas. How they integrated lockscreen widgets into sense now lol =) HTC Come up with your own stuff!!!

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

This is what adding the larger battery pack to the back of the Thunderbolt looks like. Really craptastic. Just wondering if HTC should or could come up with a larger battery that can be designed to fit into (perhaps a slightly thicker back panel) that would look more natural?

With the main complaint of the Thunderbolt/EVO/etc phones being battery life, I am just wondering if we have something better to look forward to here.

Actually the 2750mAh Extended Battery for the Bolt is not as bad as it looks in some of the pics. LTE really needs the juice.The question is how much extra power does HSPA+ use compared to regular HSPA? The fact that the entire back comes off the Sensation,unlike the Thunderbolt,means a smoother extended battery cover can designed.

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually the 2750mAh Extended Battery for the Bolt is not as bad as it looks in some of the pics. LTE really needs the juice.The question is how much extra power does HSPA+ use compared to regular HSPA? The fact that the entire back comes off the Sensation,unlike the Thunderbolt,means a smoother extended battery cover can designed.
Thanks for the reply. How heavy is it in person with that? From the pics it looks like it would make the phone feel out of balance or overly heavy with that big pack on the back. Anybody else think that the updated software may be able to increase battery life somewhat? That seems to be the main complaint about the HTC 4.3 inch screens.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
HSPA+ doesn't use any extra battery. I have a myTouch 4G and the battery life is awesome.

Personally I'd rather have a thin phone and maybe need to bring a charger or spare battery with me.

ianst28#AC

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
experiment626 The fact that the entire back comes off the Sensation said:
Does the back come off the sensation??? I thought with it being aluminum unibodied it wouldn't have a removable back panel and would have a similar set up to the legend and desire s

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Cozmosis

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No, I think its the perfect balance between well built, heft, and thickness. Which is why I'm considering jumping Verizon's crap LTE lineup for Tmo..

jggonzalez

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the thicker phones. I guess it makes it feel heftier. I think a thicker back panel for the HTC Sensation with a huge battery would be great!

rex450se

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
After a couple days with the Sensation I don't think it needs a bigger battery. Currently my phone has been off the charger for over 11 hours and has been through web browsing, twitter and facebooking while at work for 8 hours, listening to the fm radio for a little bit and I am still at a 45% charge. I have no battery concerns here.

Victor

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

This is what adding the larger battery pack to the back of the Thunderbolt looks like. Really craptastic.

damn , that thing is really ugly , yea I understand that LTE needs allot of power , but damn !

Well , can't put a bigger battery with a new cover in the Sensation
Since the Radio antennas are built in the cover it self & if you removed the back cover while the phone is on , you will lose all of your Signal (Both Culler & Wi-Fi)

Regarding the UniBody construction

I think it was for Advertising purposes , since the back of the actually comes off (Not like the real UniBody phones : Desire HD & Mozart) & the only "Uni" part is the Aluminum peace surrounding the screen
When you remove the Back cover the Aluminum frame comes with it , including the the screen frame , Earpiece grille & front camera housing , while the plastic parts in the back are just attached to it

The upper plastic part surrounding the camera includes the Wi-Fi antenna
The lower plastic part holds the Culler antenna

Apparently , The Sensation (or the European version at least) suffers from "Death Grip" or "Antenna Gate" issues like the iPhone 4 & the HTC HD7

HTC Sensation death grip testing revisited. Are there different versions of the Sensation?

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Im sorry I got carried away with the whole Extended battery & the UniBody construction

Regarding the Sensation being too thin

I think its okay , you know its the average thickness of a cellphone
As long as its not RAZR V3 thin or Pro 7\Arrive think , it will be perfect

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae