Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default speech to text

hey guys, new to android from bb and waiting for this phone, but want to know does this phone have speech or voice to text like the galaxy s2 shows in its commercial.

I believe that most Android phones with Android version 2.1 or higher have this capability. All you need to do in order to get speech to text or anything else, for that matter, is to install the Vlingo voice app which is free from the market. It's called Vlingo Virtual Assistant. This software is exactly what is installed in the new Samsung Galaxy SII, it's just built in because Samsung and Vlingo made an agreement to have it pre-installed.

PS: The software actually does alot more than just speech to text. I use it for sending text messages, placing calls, searching for all kinds of things. I even use it sometimes to update my Facebook & Twitter statuses. I'm using it with my HTC Droid Eris and I love it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks for the answer woodsb123, now its just a matter of june 8th...hopefully. Cant wait.

Default Re: speech to text

Quote Originally Posted by woodsb123 View Post
    I believe that most Android phones with Android version 2.1 or higher have this capability. All you need to do in order to get speech to text or anything else, for that matter, is to install the Vlingo voice app which is free from the market. It's called Vlingo Virtual Assistant. This software is exactly what is installed in the new Samsung Galaxy SII, it's just built in because Samsung and Vlingo made an agreement to have it pre-installed.

PS: The software actually does alot more than just speech to text. I use it for sending text messages, placing calls, searching for all kinds of things. I even use it sometimes to update my Facebook & Twitter statuses. I'm using it with my HTC Droid Eris and I love it.
    I found that the free pre-installed application on the Samsung Captivate did not have an ad blocker----ads popping up were annoying!