Installed Gmail App, now it wont uninstall

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I installed the Gmail app but quickly decided it didn't work for me (does not synch with non-gmail accounts); so I'm going to try K9 but now the Gmail app wont uninstall 100%.
I tried to uninstall from Settings> Applications> Manage Applications and although it did say it uninstalled and the icon is gone from the list it’s still in the app drawer and I can click on the icon and the app will still open.

How can I delete this all the way? Or is there a way to add my comcast email to my Gmail app?

Also, I rebooted the phone and still the icon appears in the apps list and launches when I tap it.

Crackb3rry420

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost positive u can't delete the gmail app bcuz its a native Google app for android ,its not like it takes up a lot of space or anything.

Crackb3rry420

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I like the app, I just can't get it to check my comcast email. Is there a way to do that.

mail and gmail are stock android apps.under the mail app it lets u control ur diff email accounts. gmail is strictly gmail mail.i havent set up my personal email address cuz i dont feel like getting a bunch of mail notifications on the phone all day

HoraceMann

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Installed Gmail email address

I have a somewhat similar problem. I recently purchased a HTC Sensation with T-mobil as my carrier. I have multiple gmail accounts. I associated 1 of these with my phone. Then I changed my mind and thought that I did not want to receive all my business email on the phone. I then added the second gmail account to my phone thinking I could delete the first. When I go to settings ->accounts & sync -> into the gmail address and hit the remove account button, I am warned that deleting the account will delete all data associated with this acccount from my phone. I then hit a second remove again. I am then notified that this account is required by some applications and I can only remove it by resetting my phone. I do not want to reset all my settings I just want to remove the extra email address as I would rather not have it associated with the phone. :( The phone was ok without the data before I put in. It's my data I should be able to remove it.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Installed Gmail email address

I have a somewhat similar problem. I recently purchased a HTC Sensation with T-mobil as my carrier. I have multiple gmail accounts. I associated 1 of these with my phone. Then I changed my mind and thought that I did not want to receive all my business email on the phone. I then added the second gmail account to my phone thinking I could delete the first. When I go to settings ->accounts & sync -> into the gmail address and hit the remove account button, I am warned that deleting the account will delete all data associated with this acccount from my phone. I then hit a second remove again. I am then notified that this account is required by some applications and I can only remove it by resetting my phone. I do not want to reset all my settings I just want to remove the extra email address as I would rather not have it associated with the phone. :( The phone was ok without the data before I put in. It's my data I should be able to remove it.

To activate an android phone you need a google account (which includes gmail account) to backup and synchronize all your settings and apps. Because you activated your phone on that account, you can't remove the mail account (it's part of your google account). If you remove the entire google account from your phone, you will loose all your data on that phone (this can be restored if you reactivate the phone on the same account). To activate the phone on a new account it's like starting from scratch. Sorry for the bad news. :(