Many apps not showing up in app market

JamesCanyon

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly new to the android world and have come from the ipod/iphone side of things. I'm very happy with my Sensation with the exception of not being able to find apps I hear about from friends or read about online. I search for them via the app market on my phone and they just don't appear. Is this because the phone is running 2.3 Gingerbread or because of the uniqueness of the sensations hardware or software configuration?

So far the apps I want but can't seem to find for this phone are: "google news and weather", "skype", "shazam", and "netflix". I already found out nexflix only works on certain devices, not sure why. But what about the other apps? Why can't I get them on my phone? Thanks in advance for educating me on this.

RADEN

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I can see Skype and have installed it with no problem. Same for Shazam.

I can't see Google News, Netflix, or iheartradio.

kevsteele

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the Android Marketplace on your desktop web browser (https://market.android.com/) you'll see all the apps - when you select one, it will tell you if it's compatible with your phone.

It seems a lot of them are compatible, but not marked as such by the developers yet - and if the developer hasn't market it as compatible for the Sensation, it won't show up in the app listings when viewed on your phone.

JamesCanyon

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the Android Marketplace on your desktop web browser (https://market.android.com/) you'll see all the apps - when you select one, it will tell you if it's compatible with your phone.

It seems a lot of them are compatible, but not marked as such by the developers yet - and if the developer hasn't market it as compatible for the Sensation, it won't show up in the app listings when viewed on your phone.

Thanks, this leaves me with two questions:

1. Are they not compatible because of 2.3 gingerbread, or because of the Sensation's limitations?
2. What's the likelihood and probable time frame for these apps to be compatible with the Sensation and/or 2.3?

MaxLaw

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly new to the android world and have come from the ipod/iphone side of things. I'm very happy with my Sensation with the exception of not being able to find apps I hear about from friends or read about online. .....

So far the apps I want but can't seem to find for this phone are: "google news and weather", "skype", "shazam", and "netflix". I already found out nexflix only works on certain devices, not sure why. But what about the other apps? Why can't I get them on my phone? Thanks in advance for educating me on this.

I have not looked for Netflix, but I use the app (called, appropriately enough) "Movies." From that app, you can set up to sync with Netflix and can order DVDs for home. I have NOT tried it for movie streaming if that is something in which you are interested.

I found the "Shazam" app on my HTC Sensation without any problem whatsoever, using the search capabilities in the Market. I have no clue why you could not. The same for "Skype"

dflores

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe "Movies" will let you stream NetFlix content - only re-arrange your queues. Also, if you can't find Shazam, try SoundHound instead. I've found it to be much faster and accurate than Shazam, which I had used for years.

fasst27

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The free movie watching app call "CRACKLE", is also not available.

This fragmentation needs to be tamed. Google, get on it!

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This is very accurate, when I got my sensation I searched in the market for skype and didn't find it. I eventually went to the skype website to download the app, so I was there. Oddly enough it shows up now for me.

JamesCanyon

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I found the "Shazam" app on my HTC Sensation without any problem whatsoever, using the search capabilities in the Market. I have no clue why you could not. The same for "Skype"

How did you find "Shazam" and "Skype"? Are you using the "market" app built into the phone and if so, what search criteria are you using to get them to show up? I can't even get skype via their website. I get error messages when downloading saying "the requested item could not be found." and when I type in my phone number on Skype's website to have them send me the app, the message on my phone just says "Message format not supported".

Thanks for all the help.

.........I just figured out I can search via market.android.com and tons more apps show up for me. I was using the built in "market" app on the phone. So I feel a little sheepish it took me this long to figure that out, but I feel much better now about the phone seeing that many more apps are available than I originally thought. Not all I'm looking for, but far more than show up on the phone's "market" app.

Last edited:

alexbr91

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
for me i noticed that i can download the apps like Pandora and mint.com but for some reason i cant find them in the widget menu

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza