Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default MMS not downloading images via Wifi?

Hey everyone,

Just got my G2 a few days ago, and I've noticed that when I'm on wifi, Google Hangouts isn't auto downloading images for mms texts, and I have to "click to retrieve"

When I do, it just spins its wheels, and nothing loads until I turn off wifi, and download the image via my data.

Before I switched, never had a problem with hangouts doing this, and I can't find any settings in hangouts that would be causing this. Has anyone else ran into this?

Default Re: MMS not downloading images via Wifi?

I thought it was always like that... with my old Galaxy S and my Tmobile LG G2 i had to have data on in order to retrieve the MMS...it doesnt use up actually data count though... my girlfriend's Iphone behaves the same way..nothing wrong with your device im sure.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Check your call settings and make sure they are set cellular network preferred. MMS usually requires a data connection but your phone should know to use data even when connected to WiFi.

Posted via Android Central App

It is a combination of the two. MMS should work with wifi as long as either A you have a data signal and cellular preferred is selected or B you use the built in texting app that doesnt support group mms.

I am hoping that KitKat fixes this for the default app and then I will not have to use another crazy app like hangouts.

The other option is if you can get the accurate MMS proxy info from Tmobile to enter into hangouts or whatever app you use. That should allow you to use it on a data connection. I have seen different ones posted everywhere but have not found the one that works yet.

PS I just ported over from sprint 2 days ago and have been working on this problem. Beleive it or not sprint has the same issue with wifi enabled and using their airave. The phone doesnt throw any sort of error or anything and my victims get their MMSs at all times of the late night and early morning. So we are not alone.

Kitkat seems to fix it!