After KitKat update - unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped

mackie99

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Since upgrading to KitKat 4.4.2 I get the following error after rebooting:

unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped

Any suggestions?

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It's because of SwiftKey. It's really not an issue since everything else still works.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I had this same error after 4.4.2 upgrade. Did my upgrade on 2/28 through PC Suite and after 2nd phone reboot this process.com...error began showing up on bootup of phone. Tried everything I could find through Android forum sites and nothing worked. Decided to backup my important data and default phone.

Setup phone again, restored data and reinstalled my apps, including Swiftkey. Have not seen the error again. Somehow I think defaulting phone on big OS upgrade is a good choice.

JDigga99

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
It's because of SwiftKey. It's really not an issue since everything else still works.

Thank you for the heads up. I get that error every morning when i turn my phone on but i'm glad to know it's not causing any major issues or disabling anything.

Ruthie_Rayne

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all of you. By browsing this thread I found a simple solution. Rather than doing a factory reset or ignoring the error, I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling SwiftKey. It worked. It took about 3 minutes...much shorter than a reset, and a lot less hassle. So my recommendation is to uninstall SwiftKey, restart your phone (may not be necessary, but I did it for good measure), and re-install SwiftKey. Once I did that, I had no problems whatsoever. So before you do the reset, try uninstalling and reinstalling SwiftKey first and see if that fixes the issue.

Joseph Howle

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
A lot of folks complain about problems after updates but fail to realize that mist issues are caused but third party software. The best practice is to backup your phone, do a factory wipe then update. 99 times out of 100 You will have a successful install.

Ruthie_Rayne

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
A lot of folks complain about problems after updates but fail to realize that mist issues are caused but third party software. The best practice is to backup your phone, do a factory wipe then update. 99 times out of 100 You will have a successful install.

I agree with you to some extent, but there's one little hangup. The only problem I had was caused by SwiftKey. It took me a few minutes to uninstall and reinstall it, then get the settings back to what I wanted them to be, whereas it would take me several hours to get my phone all the way back to where I wanted if I'd done a backup and factory reset. So if it's only one, maybe two 3rd party apps causing problems, why factory reset your phone when it's so much simpler and less time/energy consuming to uninstall/reinstall a couple apps?

alohio

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Ruthiez, thanks for the fix and ajonesma, thanks for finding the offender. Uninstall Swiftkey, reboot, reinstall Swiftkey worked for me too. And Ruthiez, I agree with you about updating your phone. Factory reset and then taking the time to get your phone back into its "functional" state is painful. I don't have the time.

mrdoon

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem this morning with my Verizon G2 after updating to Kit Kit. I tried a bunch of other things but uninstalling Swiftkey seems to have done the trick. Unfortunately, when I reinstall Swiftkey, the message returns...

Ruthie_Rayne

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
mrdoon, I would suggest downloading one of the cleaner programs that gets rid of junk files (I personally use an app called Clean Master...not an endorsement), then reinstalling SwiftKey. If that doesn't work, then perhaps it is time to do a backup and reset.

Ruthie_Rayne

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
It's best not to jump to the most time consuming and inefficient thing if you don't have to...I'm all for quick and efficient...and then I go down the line to the next thing...til I get to that horrible last resort.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow, first time I visit this forum and the first thing I see is a problem that's been plaguing me for a while 😀

Maacha

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
what if i am not able to go to settings or any other function? After upgradating android 4.1.2 to kitkat on my Micromax HD A116 some problem occurs and I only see black screen and ” unfortunately your google search stopped working” appears and unable to close it and go to setting.

horangeh

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
You all have to realize that the problem is not necessarily the same app for everybody. What I did was arranging the apps by the day of download and uninstalling the last ones after which I remember the problem started occurring: Google keyboard, and ZEDGE ringtones and wallpapers. After that the problem disappeared.

scoinva

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Because I didn't have Swiftkey installed, I suspect reinstalling Google Keyboard solved my problem. If it turns out it doesn't, I update this posting.

Madclax

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Have found my problem. It is the Google Play services. When I uninstall the lasted update the message does not come up on boot. However, I then keep on getting messages saying the services needs to be updated. When I re-install the update the problem is back? How can it be that Google and Android programmes are incompatible? Surely this is sorted before release?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance