bought one on ebay

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so i bought a mytouch3g on ebay today because i was bored....

i should have asked first but i think it was a good deal and if what i want to do doesn't work i can sell it again and i'm guessing i can at least get my money back.

i don't have t-mobile (verizon, and waiting for the droid) but i wanted to play around with the phone using wifi and just the apps and stuff...try my hand at rooting and loading stuff and messing with it in general without messing up the phone i use to get stuff done (call people and whatnot)

so my question: am i right in assuming i can just use this phone with no service so long as i have wifi. not to call anyone, but just as a pda essentially.

i really hope i'm right... :)

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If the phone is new in the box (aka, never been activated), the only proble m you will face is that in order to do anything with the phone, including turning on wifi, you have to connect to a gmail account. This requires...you guessed it... a tmobile sim card with service to connect and sync.

If there is a work around I haven't heard of it, but that does not mean it is impossible. If the phone has already been activated once you shouldnt have a problem at all. Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the info!

i asked the seller to do that part for me, and gave her login credentials to a mostly unused gmail account i have.

hopefully that will all work out, then i'll just root it and put a custom ROM on it...i should be fine after that i'm guessing....right? :)

if only they had given me a hard release date on the droid...oh well, toy for now and a toy for (hopefully not much) later. :p

weirdkid

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I did the same. Except with my cousin's sim while waiting for mine to activate. After rooting it, it'll take you through the same steps but instead of forcing you to log in right away(if you choose to wipe), you can just click the option to do it later(after you enable wi-fi).

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I did the same. Except with my cousin's sim while waiting for mine to activate. After rooting it, it'll take you through the same steps but instead of forcing you to log in right away(if you choose to wipe), you can just click the option to do it later(after you enable wi-fi).

which rooting procedure did you use? i got it in the mail today, gonna get through the initial setup with my friends sim later.

i'm planning on doing the process that is at android and me. it seems the easiest out of what i've read.

i really hope it's running 1.5 right now so i don't have to downgrade, then do the sign in again and then root.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it had 1.6 on it already. i'm thinking about putting 1.5 on today so i can go through the signin process again when i see my friend today...

but i'm also getting lazy, and friday now doesn't feel too far away... :)

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Once I got bored at work and decided to buy an 8900 on ebay just to see if I won. I did but then I lost my job so I had to ask the seller to cancel the sale.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey