Video Chat Options

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
hey there. i have a GS2 and my lady friend has a mytouch 4g slide. i tried to video chat with her over "talk" but i wasnt able to connect with her. i didnt even have an option to invite her to video chat. does "talk" not work yet with the mytouch 4g slide?

thank you.

PS - if it dosent work is skype and qik the only other options?

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The Mytouch 4G Slide doesn't come with the Gtalk app that does video chat. But if she roots the phone, she can then uninstall the Gtalk that came with it and push the Gtalk w/video into /system/app..... I'm not sure if it can be done on an unrooted phone.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The Mytouch 4G Slide doesn't come with the Gtalk app that does video chat. But if she roots the phone, she can then uninstall the Gtalk that came with it and push the Gtalk w/video into /system/app..... I'm not sure if it can be done on an unrooted phone.

Wow so gtalk video just doesn't work on the mytouch? That's crazy. Is there plans for it to work?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow so gtalk video just doesn't work on the mytouch? That's crazy. Is there plans for it to work?

No it works, I've done it. But I rooted my phone and replaced the Gtalk app with the one that does video. If I'm not mistaken, the MT4G Slide came out before the video Gtalk app, so the phone ships with the non-video Gtalk. But the video one works once you get it onto the phone.

if her phone is rooted or you can root it, here is a link to video Gtalk app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1247430

otherwise, yeah, i would think/hope that HTC would put the video Gtalk into the system with the next major update.

Last edited:

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
No it works, I've done it. But I rooted my phone and replaced the Gtalk app with the one that does video. If I'm not mistaken, the MT4G Slide came out before the video Gtalk app, so the phone ships with the non-video Gtalk. But the video one works once you get it onto the phone.

if her phone is rooted or you can root it, here is a link to video Gtalk app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1247430

otherwise, yeah, i would think/hope that HTC would put the video Gtalk into the system with the next major update.

Thanks man I really appreciate that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man I really appreciate that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problem buddy, glad to help. I also realized there is an app called Talk 1.3 Installer in the market, and it will install the latest Gtalk onto the phone... But it too requires root access.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
No problem buddy, glad to help. I also realized there is an app called Talk 1.3 Installer in the market, and it will install the latest Gtalk onto the phone... But it too requires root access.

Since this post I got a mt4g as a backup phone. Rooted it and used the 1.3 installer to use video. Works perfect. I just wish they would let it work normally. She doesn't want to root.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Since this post I got a mt4g as a backup phone. Rooted it and used the 1.3 installer to use video. Works perfect. I just wish they would let it work normally. She doesn't want to root.

there is a new OTA update for the MT4G Slide, it puts the video Gtalk onto the phone! if she doesn't already have it, she can of course can manually check for it in Settings/About Phone/HTC Software Updates..... if it isn't there yet, they say it should be rolled out to everyone by Jan. 16th. so it won't be too much longer til she has it!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1