Batter drain/overheating problems

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
My buddy recently delved into the realm of smartphones and was given a barely used slide. All was well the past coupla months and a couple weeks ago, he upgraded to the 2.3.6 version. Today, he told me that his phone battery gets super hot and the battery drained within 45 minutes. He tried to charge it and it still drained. He charged it while it was off and showed it to me today. Within 15 minutes, the battery went from an indicated 100% to 85% and was hotter than my GS3 running on 4G streaming videos. The problem didn't surface until a couple weeks after updating.

He doesn't download any apps, which I checked for myself and when I checked the battery status during the drain, it showed that cell standby accounted for 48% of usage. I though it might be a battery issue or software glitch causing the issue. He hasn't rooted so it's stock ROM and he hasn't done a factory reset yet because he is changing contacts to a GS2 and doesn't want to lose info.

Any ideas on the issues and possible solutions? He's writing the phone off as toast at this point in time.

Appogee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My buddy recently delved into the realm of smartphones and was given a barely used slide. All was well the past coupla months and a couple weeks ago, he upgraded to the 2.3.6 version. Today, he told me that his phone battery gets super hot and the battery drained within 45 minutes. He tried to charge it and it still drained. He charged it while it was off and showed it to me today. Within 15 minutes, the battery went from an indicated 100% to 85% and was hotter than my GS3 running on 4G streaming videos. The problem didn't surface until a couple weeks after updating.

He doesn't download any apps, which I checked for myself and when I checked the battery status during the drain, it showed that cell standby accounted for 48% of usage. I though it might be a battery issue or software glitch causing the issue. He hasn't rooted so it's stock ROM and he hasn't done a factory reset yet because he is changing contacts to a GS2 and doesn't want to lose info.

Any ideas on the issues and possible solutions? He's writing the phone off as toast at this point in time.

I believe heat is a common issue with our device. I've run into heat when using 4G on the MT4GS, I don't believe it's software related but the battery life shouldn't be that bad... Have you tried using other batteries? Perhaps something like the Anker 1900maH:
Amazon.com: Anker? 1900mAh Li-ion Battery for HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, EVO 3D, Mytouch 4G Slide + Free Anker Multi-purpose USB Travel Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

First of all though, you should monitor the battery life with this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.bvalosek.cpuspy&hl=en&token=9HodiyYM
If his phone isn't going into deep sleep, it's software related.

You should note that 4G drains the MT4GS' battery life pretty fast, common issue.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My wife's MT4GS started doing this about a month ago. It has to be plugged in pretty much all day. T-Mobile and HTC were no help with getting a new battery. They couldn't even sell me one. I have no idea where to get the right battery from. I don't want a knock off just the HTC standard.

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Also experiencing similar issues with my ATT GS3. Gets really hot, and battery has been draining much faster than normal. Had this phone since July, battery has always been inferior to my bb...but this last one week has been unexplainable!!
I have not rooted this device, nor have I upgraded to JB.
I will try a new battery. But any other input would be appreciated!
Heres screenshot from last nite...
Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356717222938.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356717222938.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356717235273.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356717235273.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 26

Trending Posts

Forum statistics