1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to root+busybox for GRK39F OTA

If you're like me, you went ahead and grabbed the OTA, knowing root was just a flash away -- the joys of a fully unlocked bootloader. If so, here's how to get root and busybox back.

• If you need fastboot drivers, install PdaNet. <>
    • Download Clockwork recovery for the NS <>
    • If you need Fastboot for Windows, grab the attached fastboot.zip file. Extract it all into a folder somewhere on your computer.
    • Download the attached signed_GRK39F_root.zip file and place it on the root of your phones internal storage.
    • Copy the recovery file you downloaded in step two to the same folder you have fastboot in. Rename it recovery.img
    • Turn your phone off. Hold volume up + power, and boot into fastboot. Plug the phone into your computer.
    • Open the command window. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE FOLDER WHERE FASTBOOT IS.
    • At the prompt, type:
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    • If you see a serial number, continue. If not, seek help -- you don't have fastboot setup on your computer.

• At the command prompt type:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    • Use the volume key to navigate to "recovery", and then press power to reboot into Clockwork. If you reboot normally on accident here, start back at the beginning -- your recovery will be rewritten by stock.
    • Use Clockwork to flash the GRK39F root zip on your phone's storage.

Using this method has the bonus of letting you install updates to chainsdd'd superuser app and his su binary. Big thanks to him for his work with that, things would suck a lot if we didn't have it
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock 2.3.3

Default Re: How to root+busybox for GRK39F OTA

Awesomeness as always Mr. Jerry.

Somewhat of a side note, you can set your PATH var so that you don't have to have fastboot in the same dir you're working from.

I have mine in the platform-tools dir under my android SDK. The only problem with this is that it gets wiped out automatically on every update to the SDK. I have it backed up in a different location so I don't have to re-download every update. I could just add that to my PATH var, but I'm lazy right now.

Default Re: How to root+busybox for GRK39F OTA

i have Nexus s GRK39F which files i have to download in order to root it.
    fastboot.zip ?
    signed_GRK39F_root.zip?

or both?
    i am a bit new to the issue can you please explain further info.

Best.