Nexus S bootloader unlocked (rooted)

bcohen44

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
  1. shutdown the phone
  2. hold down volume up + power
  3. Now you are in the standard recovery mode
  4. assuming you have 2.3 SDK installed with fastboot (Google around for that info..), now on terminal/windows or Windows cmd depending on OS type "fastboot devices" to check your device can be seem via USB
  5. assuming you device is seen via fastboot devices, now type "fastboot oem unlock"
  6. accept...and new bootloader is unlocked...
  7. now we need a custom recovery from clockworkmod or amon_ra, and we'll be good to go :cool:

This was the same for the Nexus One, except of course different way to get into recovery...

Last edited:

bcohen44

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
not rooted, just bootloader unlocked

Sorry, I should not have put rooted in the title. All this does is unlock the bootloader. Until we get amon_ra or clockworkmod to give a custom recover to flash some additional files to get superuser, we ain't rooted, so don't want to give anyone the impression I actually "rooted" my Nexus S.
But the bootloader is unlocked, and I have the nice unlock icon on bootup at least ;)

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
  1. shutdown the phone
  2. hold down volume up + power
  3. Now you are in the standard recovery mode
  4. assuming you have 2.3 SDK installed with fastboot (Google around for that info..), now on terminal/windows or Windows cmd depending on OS type "fastboot devices" to check your device can be seem via USB
  5. assuming you device is seen via fastboot devices, now type "fastboot oem unlock"
  6. accept...and new bootloader is unlocked...
  7. now we need a custom recovery from clockworkmod or amon_ra, and we'll be good to go :cool:

This was the same for the Nexus One, except of course different way to get into recovery...

I'm pretty new to Android and would like to figure this out. I'm the happy owner of a new Nexus S. Can I just get a little more information about this? should the phone be connected to the PC? If so, at what point? I thought I might have figured it out, but got this in the cmd window:

12-17-20103-52-57PM-1.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks y'all! :D

civicdrivr

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty new to Android and would like to figure this out. I'm the happy owner of a new Nexus S. Can I just get a little more information about this? should the phone be connected to the PC? If so, at what point? I thought I might have figured it out, but got this in the cmd window:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks y'all! :D

Do you have adb installed?

sneakwipe

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
i do not think i was ready for you to put words in quotation marks. i'll think about what you really want when you put your search in quotes and try to return something that makes sense.

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
How do I confirm that? Where would I look? Like I said - I admit - I'm pretty new to this.... :eek:

Thanks so much.

The best advice I can give you is that you search for how to root Nexus One and instead of downloading 2.2 adb, download 2.3 adb.. From my knowledge, other than that, the two are exactly identical..

Reactions: allyn274

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the advice...

I have 2.3 SDK installed....
But when I go to "run > cmd" to get a command window, I'm still getting an message that "fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

What am I doing wrong? I saw a window that installed Android ADB....

For the guy who dinged me on my searching capabilities, I can give you a list of places I'm searching and articles I've bookmarked. I'm trying. I'm sure there's just something simple I'm missing.

SDK.jpg

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
you either have to add the tools and platform-tools folder from the SDK to your PATH, or run the commands while inside the folders.

example:
Code:
cd C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools
fastboot devices

I forget where fastboot gets installed by default, I've added it to both \tools and \platform-tools. Look inside the folders and see which has fastboot.exe inside -- then cd into that one.

Fastboot only works if your phone is in bootloader mode, and you have a fastboot ADB driver installed. Yes, it's different from the normal adb driver. Once you find fastboot and try it, if it doesn't see your device look here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s-roms-hacks/49016-get-fastboot-working-win7-x64.html
If you're not running 64 bit windows, choose the 32 bit version to download.

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually finally got the bootloader unlocked and was following the steps from this site: How To: Root the Samsung Nexus S | TheUnlockr

It worked great & I got all the way up through step 6 under rooting the phone, but then, when I try to select Recovery, I just get a white & yellow triangle with the little Android and nothing ever happens after that. My phone is back to factory settings and I can see that the superuser.zip is in the root, but i can't get past this step. Any advice?

ldmurill

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My Windows 7 64bit computer does not get the driver installed and i cannot get the steps completed, i have every thing installed already.
also the phone that I'm trying to unlock is the nexus S
please Help me!!!

staedtler

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the thread necromancy. I just wanted to point out that this procedure will completely wipe your phone's memory. That includes USB storage. I learned that today the hard way.

(I had actually installed all the appropriate backup apps and backed up all my data to the USB storage, but I neglected to copy that all to my computer before proceding)

Reactions: Andy_Rhoid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non