1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to "root" 2.3.3

If you unrooted to take the OTA, or have decided now is the time to root:

• Unlock the bootloader (if needed)
    • . Koush's site is down. This is a mirror.
    • Unzip the Clockwork recovery file, and place the *.img file inside your SDK/tools folder
    • Copy ChainsDD's su package to the root of your SD card
    • reboot to bootloader mode (power off, then hold volume up + power)
    • open your terminal/cmd prompt and navigate to your SDK/tools folder. This assumes that you placed fastboot in sdk/tools. Adjust as needed
    • in your terminal type
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img
    • On your phone, use the volume key to highlight "recovery". Press power to boot into recovery.
    • in the recovery screen, select mounts and storage
    • mount /system
    • mount /data
    • go back, and choose install zip from sd card
    • choose "choose zip from sd card"
    • pick the su package zip file you copied over earlier
    • choose Yes
    • when done, reboot.

enjoy the root.

Because you aren't using a custom ROM, your recovery will revert at every reboot. To fix this, rename /etc/install-recovery.sh to /etc/install-recovery.sh.bak. If you don't do this, you'll have to flash Clockwork every time you want to use it.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Thanks Mr. gbhil. Your massage will help me a lot.....

i restored a nandroid for 2.3.3 so i have a stock recovery with unlocked bootloader! the problem is when i want to flash the recovery , it says permission denied !!!!!!

help please
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by nexus ten View Post
    i restored a nandroid for 2.3.3 so i have a stock recovery with unlocked bootloader! the problem is when i want to flash the recovery , it says permission denied !!!!!!

help please
    what is the output of
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

i'm sorry for the inconvenience but can you explain by the what is the output?

i have everything needed such as the sdk , fastboot ect...

so can you explain
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

when you boot your phone to bootloader mode, and run fastboot devices from the command line. What does it say?
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

it says -bash: fastboot: command not found

Default Recovery

ive gotten all the way up to the part where you say to hi light recovery and click on it and when i do all that comes up is that triangle with the exclamation and the little android... what should i do?

Default Wow..

ok just want to follow up and say that the reason i got that was because i needed to flash the latest nexus one recovery image so thats why i got the triangle exclamation thingy... so yea im dumb but whatev. and this DOES work but before you install chainsDD su.zip you need to toggle signature verification so it doesn't matter if its signed or not. then install and you have root on your nexus one running 2.3.3!!! hello again cm7!!

Oh and what im trying to say is that the recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img didnt work for me so i used recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1. just thought i'd mention that.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Is there something like odin for the epic for nexus? To flash back to stock md5 files?

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post

• Unzip the Clockwork recovery file, and place the *.img file inside your SDK/tools folder
    • open your terminal/cmd prompt and navigate to your SDK/tools folder. This assumes that you placed fastboot in sdk/tools. Adjust as needed
    • in your terminal type
      Code:
    • On your phone, use the volume key to highlight "recovery". Press power to boot into recovery.
    • mount /system
    • mount /data
    • choose Yes
    • when done, reboot.

enjoy the root.

Because you aren't using a custom ROM, your recovery will revert at every reboot. To fix this, rename /etc/install-recovery.sh to /etc/install-recovery.sh.bak. If you don't do this, you'll have to flash Clockwork every time you want to use it.

ok so i am going to try this and i plugged my phone into my computer opened the "removable Disk E" and i dont have the SDK/tools folder in there... also how do i copy ChainsDD's su package to the root of your SD card... i am really new to android and so this is like a new language. thanks for any help!

Because you aren't using a custom ROM, your recovery will revert at every reboot. To fix this, rename /etc/install-recovery.sh to /etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    well I just rooted my Bell Nexus S. Got to this step and I dont have an /etc/install-recovery.sh file? At least its not listed in root explorer. I rebooted the device and still have SU and root access. ideas?

and I installed rom manager and it asks me to install cwm. Ideas?

Default Re: How to "root" 2.3.3

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post

• in your terminal type
      Code:
    • mount /system
    • mount /data
    • choose Yes
    • when done, reboot.

enjoy the root.

Android Ver. 2.3.3 what's the software on this please?