Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    lrdiaz's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

    Unhappy ICS Update of Nexus S

    I did the manual upgrade as detailed in the News page of this forum, all went well except it is now a bit slugish. Any one experiencing slow navigation around the many icons?
    I have the original T-MO Nexus S.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    I experienced the same. I have read in the past that factory resetting a phone after and os upgrade is recommended. This clears out all of the old junk your phone stored amd brings about a clean slate. I resetted my phone and its butter.
    Thanked by:
    lrdiaz 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    lrdiaz's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    thanks, I will give a try today.
  4. #4  
    elvisgp's Avatar

    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

    Default

    Let us know how it goes!

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    lrdiaz's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

    Default

    The reset definitely helps

    Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Im glad my suggestion worked out for you. You can also turn on force hardware acceleration in the feveloper options. This may help if any app runs sluggish. But it does use up 8mb of ram for each app. Not abig deal.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Just got the OTA upgrade, it's installing as I type! Yeah!!
    So far so good, nice light show and now it's says it's optimizing my applications..
    LOL was going to do this manually tonight. Damn amazed I got it so fast.. Still optimizing, fingers crossed.
    Updating contacts..
    Well it looks like it's time to play with Ice Cream Sandwich. Thank you Google!
    Last edited by VeryTallnLA; 12-17-2011 at 04:13 PM.
  8. #8  
    d_pang's Avatar

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    yeah i had the same problem, the phone became laggy and a bit sluggish but after a while its back to normal and is fast and has no lag, without a factory reset
  9. #9  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Now, I'm having the same problem and I'm about to do this too, but I have a quick question if anyone can answer this. Will all of my apps be installed once I sign back on after the reset?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    My experience has been the opposite - I think ICS feels a bit snappier on my Nexus S than Gingerbread. It does choke a little in the Movie Studio app, but other than that it's been great. I did blow away two non-stock widgets which I no longer need (smooth calendar and launch-x pro) not sure if non-stock widgets might be contributing to others' issues...

    Furthermore the browser seems especially speedy, though I find myself tapping to zoom a few times before it works properly, and often inadvertently hitting links in the process.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    My phone was also very sluggish after the update. I did a factory reset and things seem speedy again. I have two new problems though.

    1. My battery life stinks. I'm running the same settings as before (wifi, bluetooth, display, etc) but the battery drains much faster. Has anyone else noticed this?

    2. I can no longer connect to my phone through the USB cable. Either it doesn't show on the machine at all or it does and generates an error. (I've tried on both a mac and a PC.)
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Quote Originally Posted by bezly View Post
    My phone was also very sluggish after the update. I did a factory reset and things seem speedy again. I have two new problems though.

    1. My battery life stinks. I'm running the same settings as before (wifi, bluetooth, display, etc) but the battery drains much faster. Has anyone else noticed this?

    2. I can no longer connect to my phone through the USB cable. Either it doesn't show on the machine at all or it does and generates an error. (I've tried on both a mac and a PC.)
    1) Could it be that you're playing with it a lot more? I had that problem. Today my battery life seems on par with normal because I'm at work and thus not fiddling with my phone constantly. Check the battery usage in settings to see what's causing the drainage...

    2) Works fine for me on Mac and Linux. Haven't tried Windows. I don't think this is an issue with the update, there's probably some other cause. Maybe try a different cable, or try to investigate the error message. Are you still being prompted by the phone to enter USB mode?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    As far as i see it on my (unbranded, unrooted EU) Nexus S the 4.0.3 GUI is not faster or slower as the 2.3.6 GUI.

    But i have to agree to bezly that ICS drains the battery approx. 30% quicker than GB did - on comparable usage and 2D acceleration not turned on.

    No problems with the USB cable (with Vista).
  14. #14  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    1) Could it be that you're playing with it a lot more? I had that problem. Today my battery life seems on par with normal because I'm at work and thus not fiddling with my phone constantly. Check the battery usage in settings to see what's causing the drainage...

    2) Works fine for me on Mac and Linux. Haven't tried Windows. I don't think this is an issue with the update, there's probably some other cause. Maybe try a different cable, or try to investigate the error message. Are you still being prompted by the phone to enter USB mode?
    The main cause of battery drain is 'Android OS'.

    The first day I had it I was definitely playing with it a lot but yesterday no more than usual. I started with a full recharge and it drained quickly. I did the factory reset last night and today seems a bit better so we'll see what happens. I've read on other forums that some users are experience the same problem.

    I've tried 2 cables so far -- both with the same results. I plug it in and the USB mode screen sometimes comes up and sometimes doesn't. If it is up and I hit enable USB mode it will sometimes go into that mode and sometimes go back to the home screen. If USB mode does stick it sometimes displays the drive icon on my mac, sometimes not. If it does display it I get an error when I try to connect to it. Totally erratic.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Wonder if it's an old Android bug showing up again. I hadn't seen it since 2.2/2.3.3 .... but whenever I had seen the Android OS showing as a top battery usage, I would turn on USB Debugging, found here: Settings/Applications/Development. (This of course is GB, not sure if ICS is different.)

    The odd thing is, on my NS this old bug also made USB act wonky, too. But for some reason turning on USB Debugging fixed it and stopped Android OS from running away with my battery.

    I'm not on ICS yet, so YMMV. But I'd say give it a go just to see if it stops the Android OS process from consuming your battery



    NOW the technical bits:
    Android OS is a "Catch all" of sorts. What I mean is, there seems to be a lot of OS functions that get grouped as "Android OS". (Sort of like svcservices process in Windows). By enable USB Debugging, it seems to detect when a process under Android OS goes awry and kills it. Usually would know because the phone would "bump/vibrate" twice when it did.

    Again, all of this was on my phone and with the older GB releases. I have NO CLUE if it is the same issue on ICS. But your symptoms sound a lot like what I used to experience.
  16. #16  
    Ryuuie's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    This problem has been reported on the Galaxy Nexus as well on Verizon so it's apparently an ICS issue. Google should have it fixed soon though.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    i had the update yesterday, and had the same problems. really sluggish etc. i checked available RAM and there was none. where as my nexus s had been fine on GB. i've virtually deleted half my apps to get it working again but should i do a factory reset??

    or any other ideas??
  18. #18  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    I had CM7 before the update, so I had to downgrade back to stock 2.3.6. I did the standard new-ROM process: wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache. I was back at stock Gingerbread.

    Did the same thing before updating to ICS - wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache

    Everything is working great, very fast and smooth, no battery issues, all radios work fine, connection to PC is working fine. No issues with anything.

    I guess the rule of thumb is if you're doing the manual update, treat it like installing a new ROM, wipe data, cache, and Dalvik and you should be good.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Hey guys,

    Just joined the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!

    I have an unrooted Nexus S, bought in the UK without contract.

    Yesterday, I got the System Update icon and clicking it told me that an ICS update was available for download. However, I was out at the time so didn't want to download right then and pressed Back.

    Now, the System Update icon has gone and when i go to Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates, it tells me that my system is up to date.

    Any idea how I get the update back!?

    Thanks,

    hbc
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    I had the same problem !!
    Thanks
    GP



    [U][U]Hey guys,
    Just joined the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!
    I have an unrooted Nexus S, bought in the UK without contract.
    Yesterday, I got the System Update icon and clicking it told me that an ICS update was available for download. However, I was out at the time so didn't want to download right then and pressed Back.
    Now, the System Update icon has gone and when i go to Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates, it tells me that my system is up to date.
    Any idea how I get the update back!?
    Thanks,
    hbc
  21. #21  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Good to know GP.

    How did you manage to resolve the problem?

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by gfusato View Post
    I had the same problem !!
    Thanks
    GP



    [U][U]Hey guys,
    Just joined the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!
    I have an unrooted Nexus S, bought in the UK without contract.
    Yesterday, I got the System Update icon and clicking it told me that an ICS update was available for download. However, I was out at the time so didn't want to download right then and pressed Back.
    Now, the System Update icon has gone and when i go to Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates, it tells me that my system is up to date.
    Any idea how I get the update back!?
    Thanks,
    hbc
  22. #22  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    I think I will do it manually....
    Hope it works !
    Ciao !
  23. #23  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    Quote Originally Posted by jezzza View Post
    i had the update yesterday, and had the same problems. really sluggish etc. i checked available RAM and there was none. where as my nexus s had been fine on GB. i've virtually deleted half my apps to get it working again but should i do a factory reset??

    or any other ideas??
    I definitely recommend the factory reset if your phone is sluggish.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    I'm having issues with Android File Transfer, gives me "No Android device found" even though it's connected.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: ICS Update of Nexus S

    @gfusato @hbc9999 I know in the states we can press *#*#checkin#*#* to help force am update. Don't know if it'll work overseas though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions