Is it just me or does ICS run like crap on Nexus S?

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I was using my Nexus S all day and I have nearly 30 of my own apps( this is the apps I have installed aside the system ones) and my Nexus S runs, very slow in comparison to Gingerbread... don't get me wrong, it is very much useable and I enjoy it nut whenever I tap the app drawer and see how it takes a half a noticeable second longer to open it up, I cringe. I want my old Nexus S, the speed demon that people constantly pushed even though it was faster than enough. Who here sees where I'm getting at? I mean if Google knew this wouldn't run very smooth, why provide the update, just tell us the truth and say that Ice Cream Sandwich needs a dual core processor or more RAM, but to just give us this slow thing is unacceptable.

Sent from my Xoom

koolkid09

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I was using my Nexus S all day and I have nearly 30 of my own apps( this is the apps I have installed aside the system ones) and my Nexus S runs, very slow in comparison to Gingerbread... don't get me wrong, it is very much useable and I enjoy it nut whenever I tap the app drawer and see how it takes a half a noticeable second longer to open it up, I cringe. I want my old Nexus S, the speed demon that people constantly pushed even though it was faster than enough. Who here sees where I'm getting at? I mean if Google knew this wouldn't run very smooth, why provide the update, just tell us the truth and say that Ice Cream Sandwich needs a dual core processor or more RAM, but to just give us this slow thing is unacceptable.

Sent from my Xoom

Yea, all the ICS ROMs I try on my NS4G are laggy and unpredictable. Sometimes it's smooth and other times it's rough. I remember watching the alpha ICS video from September-October on the Nexus S somebody bought from eBay and it ran smooth on that phone. I don't know what went wrong since then though.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread didn't run too well on the Nexus One when it got its first update. Give it a few more releases for Google to polish things up.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but even the alpha builds from devs ran well because it wasn't a problem to run. I still love my Nexus and still find it very useful but I don't think it is very stable when it has to be.

Sent from my Nexus S

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me my NS runs about the same on average with ICS; but it's less consistent. That is, some things are faster and others are slower.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me my NS runs about the same on average with ICS; but it's less consistent. That is, some things are faster and others are slower.

Exactly but the thing that really annoyed me is when you tap the app drawer to open it, it has that little lag, this never happened on Gingerbread and it's disappointing that not even the official build got this fixed. Right now I am running the Ultimate ICS 4.0 with the latest Matr1x 1.4.5 kernel.

Sent from my Nexus S

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a lot of ROMs, and Bugless Beast is definitely the fastest/smoothest ROM. It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles like other ROMs, but if you want to get rid of stutter you should try Peter Alfonso's ROM. I need my notification widgets, battery mod, etc though so I'm back on AOKP :)

njd915

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Are you running a live background? It can be laggy on galaxy nexus while having a live wallpaper
..but for me is not laggy.
.didn't catch any lags on stock software ..but now running a cm9 Lang with Franco kernel.....really smooth now

d_pang

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
it's the same for me, either perfectly fine, or very VERY laggy and i think samsung should have made it dual core or at least make it 1.2 ghz

dflores

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not you. Stock ICS 4.0.2 stutters quite a bit on my Galaxy Nexus. Pretty bad for me to take notice, coming from a Nexus One w/ CM7.

madeincanon

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been switching back and forth between AOSP's oICS rom and Pete's Bugless Beast, both are very good, for me. I rarely receive lag while running them with the GLaDOS kernel. A little stutter with Matr1x kernels..

KungFu Ramone

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Your launcher might have something to do with it. I've been using GO Launcher EX for a while and since the last couple of updates my phone has been silky smooth. The only time it stutters is when there's a lot of things running in the background eating up memory, but I keep an eye on that with GO Task Manager.

philtann

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a few minor issues while playing with various roms. CM9 runs nicely and more stable than stock from for me.

I had a few issues with app licencing on CM though.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have always thought it was a little laggy but could live with it. What is amazing, I just switched to Iphone, I dropped and cracked my screen, so borrowed one while on vacation (things always happen at inconvenient times) till mine is fixed.
I am amazed at the speed difference on everything.
It will be an interesting time while I learn to push what button!!

paulpenny

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got NexusBeam v.4.2.3 running on my NS. It seems to run pretty well, but compared to the Galaxy Nexus it is very slow. What I can't decide is if ICS on NS is any slower than CM7 or if the Galaxy Nexus' speed has just spoiled me.

pepperonijack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
stock ICS on my Nexus S works perfectly fine, I'd say maybe even smoother than Gingerbread (but maybe it's just an illusion). There are of course some occasional lags, but nothing different or worse than usual.
I had to wipe the phone during the update though, maybe that helped.

deltatux

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Xoom

stock ICS on my Nexus S works perfectly fine, I'd say maybe even smoother than Gingerbread (but maybe it's just an illusion). There are of course some occasional lags, but nothing different or worse than usual.
I had to wipe the phone during the update though, maybe that helped.

I agree with pepperonijack, the stock ICS is definitely faster than Gingerbread. While it didn't technically push out as an OTA, I did download it off Google's servers and manually applied the update. Android 4.0.3 (stock OTA) runs smoother than Gingerbread always had. However, there are those odd times it hiccups and the framerate drops but those don't come often and it's a speedy little demon.

deltatux