Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattatwar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    2.3.3 Gingerbread

Default Getting rid of google bar ics

I have a nexus s not rooted on official ics 4.0.3 and i find the google bar completely useless since we have the physical search button...i'd rather just have extra screen space.

I know there's a few solutions out there. like Nova launcher gets rid of google search bar.

but i'm wondering if anyone knows if cm9 will have this implemented without extra apps running in the background or a launcher.

Many of the custom ROMs now including cm 9 have an option from the stock launcher or from custom options in settings to disable the search bar.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

There is another way to get rid of the search bar without rooting. I did that but you can't use that extra space to apps or widget

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Nova launcher
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: Getting rid of google bar ics

Quote Originally Posted by mattatwar View Post
    Nova launcher
    Correct--use a custom launcher, like Nova, Apex, etc. That'll get rid of that pesky search bar.

go to "manage apps"
    goto "all"
    scroll until you find "google search"
    click on it and click DISABLE
    problem solved

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Based on what I have read, it is not that simple. There are some side effects to disabling Google Search. It will then no longer work by pressing the search button either, and the screen real estate that was taken up by the search bar is not usable space for something else.