1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,191 Global Posts

Default Nexus S officially left behind, won't be updated past Android 4.1.2

Google's second phone from the program, the Samsung-made Nexus S, as well as the Motorola Xoom tablet, will not be upgraded to the latest version of Jelly Bean, Android 4.2. The news was announced by Android Open Source Project technical lead Jean-Baptiste Queru, who said that the two devices will be left on Android 4.1.2.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: Nexus S officially left behind, won't be updated past Android 4.1.2

This is extremely upsetting news! If ZTE could port android 4.2 to a phone with a 1 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM why can't Google upgrade a Nexus device?

Why buy a Nexus Device?

Sent from my Nexus S using Android Central Forums
    Teenage app developer for Auto Forum. Be sure to download Auto Forum from Google Play!

Default Re: Nexus S officially left behind, won't be updated past Android 4.1.2

It seems that Google's business plan is to migrate everyone to new devices about every two years. Thus they seem to only be willing to support upgrades on a particular device for that long. Truth be told, we all know these phones will be viable for us the consumer for much longer. If it works well then keep using it. If you gotta have the newest and latest then perhaps you upgrade. On a side note, I'm still using Wineries XP on a 5 year old laptop with no immediate plans to upgrade. It works fine. But that's me, I'm not one to always chase the latest upgrade. I'm still running 2.3 on this phone as well.

Sent from my Nexus S using Android Central Forums