Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,974 Global Posts

Default Nexus One vs. the Nexus S - Kind of disappointed

Check out the comparison. It's nice, but is it that much nicer?

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quite disappointing actually. Seems like its just a Galaxy S phone running Gingerbread. Maybe the rumors created a hype that was way beyond reality.

Also, I hope that the "No removable storage" is a typo. It does say 16GB built-in, but no removable? Doesn't seem to make much sense to not have any removable storage.

No removable storage? Are they kidding? I can't buy a phone that doesn't have a microSD slot.
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

Actually it seems like a downgrade in many ways from other Galaxy S phones, no bluetooth 3.0, no expandable storage. The only thing going for it is that it has gingerbread.

Would rather get the European Galaxy S (which is much better equipped) and hope that it get's gingerbread.

ROM
    None

Its basically all the goodies from the unlocked and US carrier GSM variants and the CDMA versions. Like the GSM's large internal storage, FF cam and CDMA's camera flash-combined with proper Android implementation, ie: Google search and maps, and LED notification light.

Its basically the phone we could(should) have easily gotten months ago if carriers and manufacturers weren't so insistent on monkeying around with every Android phone that hits their lineup. I'm not disappointed at all, actually. Nothing about the phone is exciting because we've seen it all before-spread out on like 5 different device. Getting an Android device that delivers on everything is rare. I'd definitely pick one up if Verizon had a version.

and yes, I'm already aware that ain't happening. I'm not holding my breath for that one.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

Yup, I agree completely. The S is disappointing.
    * No dual processor
    * Not running at 1.2GHz as we expected
    * No SD card (WTF?)
    * No BT 3.0
    * Still stuck with only 512MB RAM.

Guess I'll stick with my N1

You get a Galaxy S with no carrier or OEM crap loaded on, will be the first phone to get updates. Sounds pretty good to me

The no expandable memory thing was a surprise.

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by jaycop View Post
    You get a Galaxy S with no carrier or OEM crap loaded on, will be the first phone to get updates. Sounds pretty good to me
    Do we know for sure that T-Mobile won't load crap on it at release?

No 720P video recording?? Disappointed.

I want this phone for the vanilla Android and direct Google updates, but feel that the hardware will be a bit behind the curve in a month or two when Tegra and other dual core CPUs hit the market. Guess I was hoping for the Orion SOC to be inside the Nexus S.

I don't really see anything that would make me rush out and replace my Nexus One with this. If you have a G1 then this would definitely be a good upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by TrivialTweeter View Post
    No 720P video recording?? Disappointed.
    Whered you get that?

It's an Epic without a keyboard... Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate with a front facing camera while looking a little more sexy... Don't see what the hoopla is about. I have to say it is massively disappointing. Not saying it's not gonna be a good phone, but DAMN it's disappointing. The N1 raised the bar for high end Android phones... What is the Nexus S doing?
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee

ill stick with my i9000 and just put on the gingerbread rom when it is released.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

Nexus S- Biggest disappointment for flagship phones.

Biggest bomb ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DolfanCole View Post
    Do we know for sure that T-Mobile won't load crap on it at release?
    Not really but that is the whole point of Nexus in general "a pure Google Experiance"
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Not really a true next gen phone. If it was, it would have a sd slot, be dual core, and have a higher resolution screen. This seems more like a .5 release which maybe they should have called it nexus 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by JoseN305 View Post
    Whered you get that?
    Cameras and multimedia

Back-facing: 5 megapixels (2560x1920)
    720 x 480 video resolution
    H.264, H.263 MPEG4 video recording
    Auto focus
    Flash
    Front-facing: VGA (640x480)
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I expected much more for the next device to carry the Nexus moniker. I most definately will not be replacing my Nexus One for this!

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

I'll be picking one up when it has AT&T bands. The
    touchscreen alone is enough to make me jump ship.
    I can't stand it on my Nexus. That's the main reason
    I stopped using my Nexus. Swype is trying to save
    it, but I've already used Swype and the regular kbs
    on other devices and I was amazed at the difference.

I have to hold my hands flat under my phone so I can
    type.
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

I'd buy one in a heart beat if it could be used on Verizon. But of course Big Red wouldn't be raking me over the coals for their crapware then, so no chance of that happening.

After playing around with my gf's G2 side by side with my Nexus on HSPA+, I'm fine with no HSPA+. I'm even fine with the built in storage. But the lack of a second gen processor is killing me. Also, I don't see a notification light on this device. Totally on the fence..especially with dual core phones almost certainly coming out after CES.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I'm thinking the same. It's a nice device, don't get me wrong. But all the thing that is missing that was highly expected just turn me off.

No expandable SD slot???? No dual core processor??? Sigh, it's just another android phone that shoots out every week now.

I understand the Nexus name has become the quintessential Google phone, but was the Nexus name really meant to push hardware and set the example for all future Android devices? Or was that something that was brought about only because it happened to be the most impressive specs when it was first released?

I might have missed this. Did Google themselves say this is the point of the Nexus branding? Because if they did, then it is a little baffling that they would allow the Nexus S specs to only match (in some cases not even match) the current market of hardware. However, I can't recall them actually saying that about their Nexus branding. Can anyone clarify?

Here in Dallas my friend has a MT4G which he consistently gets 11 Mbps down on...I'm not ok with this "flagship" phone not having the latest radio to be HSPA+ capable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast