Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default No Removable Storage (read: MicroSD)

    So I compared the Nexus S to my phone (EVO) and the Nexus one on google's site. It shows the Nexus S has NO expandable storage, where both the EVO and the N1 show MicroSD. I thought it was great to include the 16gb of ROM (storage space), but the inability to expand this is a huge downfall. As the price of MicroSDs continue to fall, this will become a more apparent issue in making this your "all-in-one" device (i.e. not an ipod, phone, gps, etc being carried separately). I hate to make an Apple comparison here, but this is one criticism of the iPhone. (I think they only have 32 and 64?)

    So, is 16GB enough for most people? Would you rather have NO internal memory and a MicroSD slot?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcviperboy View Post
    So I compared the Nexus S to my phone (EVO) and the Nexus one on google's site. It shows the Nexus S has NO expandable storage, where both the EVO and the N1 show MicroSD. I thought it was great to include the 16gb of ROM (storage space), but the inability to expand this is a huge downfall. As the price of MicroSDs continue to fall, this will become a more apparent issue in making this your "all-in-one" device (i.e. not an ipod, phone, gps, etc being carried separately). I hate to make an Apple comparison here, but this is one criticism of the iPhone. (I think they only have 32 and 64?)

    So, is 16GB enough for most people? Would you rather have NO internal memory and a MicroSD slot?
    I don't think the lack of the SD card slot is that big of a deal (coming from an iPhone here). However, given that most current Android powered devices, not just phones, have a SD card slot, I think it should've been included. Since I'll be coming from an iPhone 4, it's not that big of deal to me personally though.
  3. #3  

    Default

    This is why I didnt buy a WP7 phone. What would be the reason to exculde it? That NFC chip?
  4. #4  
    lukesvenn's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

    Default

    I post this in another thread but "exactly how does this "no expandable SD" work when one of the main key for 2.2 was to move app to SD card." why give us a feature and then take it away? is this samsung doing?
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedeadbaby View Post
    I don't think the lack of the SD card slot is that big of a deal (coming from an iPhone here). However, given that most current Android powered devices, not just phones, have a SD card slot, I think it should've been included. Since I'll be coming from an iPhone 4, it's not that big of deal to me personally though.
    I agree, not having it is not a big deal. However, only including 16gb is a big deal. If you are going to no include expandable memory, at least provide enough built in.
  6. #6  

    Default

    It's a pretty huge issue with me. My music library doesn't take up much space but my pictures do and 16 GB is not acceptable when all other phones have 32 GB expandable slots.
  7. #7  
    iPwn's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default

    Far too little memory for me. My amount of music I like to take with me is already about 32gb, so no way is this enough.
  8. #8  
    hkklife's Avatar

    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

    Default

    1. Cheap. Samsung wanted to make a slimmer/lighter/cheaper to manufacture phone and decided to lose the microSD port. This device already takes quite a step backwards from the N1 in terms of build quality. This line of thinking by Samsung is essentially the same rationale Palm followed when deciding to ape Apple for their WebOS devices instead of following the BB/Android model of expandable storage.

    2.Lazy. See above. Also a very Palm & Apple-like move on Samsung's part. microSDXC is coming soon and will permit capacities up to 2TB. 16GB will be a joke soon as we have more and more immersive 3D games with sizable installs.

    3. Greedy. Being sold unlocked with no contract is a major selling point for this device....so Sammy figures that deep-pocketed users on the bleeding edge will buy the refreshed model in 6 months' time running Honeycomb with a dual-core CPU and 32gb storage internally.

    4. It's also possible that there is something with security (both pirating apps & the NFC module) but the above $-related reasons are far more likely. As I mentioned on another thread, I am worried what this will do to convince other manufacturers to stop ditching expandable storage in an attempt to iOS-ify Android. Hopefully it'll be an even bigger flop than the N1 was. It could also be a harbinger of an eventual move to "app streaming" all of your bigger apps & games from the cloud when 4G becomes more prevalent. Of course this will consume more data and drive up users' data usage charges...which is precisely what the carriers want to happen.

    Even if I was dying for a Nexus S (I'm not) the lack of 32Gb+ storage would be a huge deal-breaker for me. Google & Samsung should have just released a special limited-run unlocked Galaxy S running a vanilla build of Gingerbread and been done with it.
  9. #9  

    Default

    What I said in another topic about the site listing "None" next to removable media:
    forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/47174-nexus-one-vs-nexus-s-kind-disappointed-3.html#post459227
    RichieHD
    She's the one, she'll always be there.
    She took my hand and I made it, I swear.
  10. #10  
    hkklife's Avatar

    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

    Default

    Richie;

    The LACK of a SLOT (not a bundled card) confirmed already numerous time by other sites:

    Surprise! The Nexus S has no microSD slot. Do you care?

    The first "review" of the device certainly makes thorough mention of it.

    Let's face it, this is essentially an Android-based iPhone but with a removable battery.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Oh, well in that case- I'm wrong and Samsung/The Goog slipped up on that.
    RichieHD
    She's the one, she'll always be there.
    She took my hand and I made it, I swear.
  12. #12  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,526 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    With DroidX we have 8gb dedicated just for apps. Have no need for storage card and 100plus apps barely cracked 1gb
    Quote Originally Posted by lukesvenn View Post
    I post this in another thread but "exactly how does this "no expandable SD" work when one of the main key for 2.2 was to move app to SD card." why give us a feature and then take it away? is this samsung doing?
  13. #13  

    Default

    Disappointing.. Seems to be going backwards.
  14. #14  

    Default Meh!

    I've still got 11gig left on my 16gig MicroSD card in my Nexus one.

    I can never be bothered to unload my pictures, and I have TV shows and Music on there for months that I have never even watched or listened to.

    So I call BS on those that say they have to carry 32GB of music with them all the time. You don't listen to 32GB of music. You just carry it around as sort of a mine is bigger than yours sort of thing.

    Still, I'd like to have a removable card.

    Not for apps, because let's face it, install to MicroSD has not been a rip roaring success. Developers are slow to do it, only a few phones really need it, and that is because they were under-specd.

    Maybe Google thinks this is not really necessary on a Dev phone, but it seems to be the easiest way to get new stuff into the phone fast. (OTOH, it has 802.11N, which is probably approaching the same effective speed as moving ROMs via MicroSD.)
  15. #15  
    NEO_FOLLOWER2's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    2.3.3 Gingerbread

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    I've still got 11gig left on my 16gig MicroSD card in my Nexus one.

    I can never be bothered to unload my pictures, and I have TV shows and Music on there for months that I have never even watched or listened to.

    So I call BS on those that say they have to carry 32GB of music with them all the time. You don't listen to 32GB of music. You just carry it around as sort of a mine is bigger than yours sort of thing.

    Still, I'd like to have a removable card.

    Not for apps, because let's face it, install to MicroSD has not been a rip roaring success. Developers are slow to do it, only a few phones really need it, and that is because they were under-specd.

    Maybe Google thinks this is not really necessary on a Dev phone, but it seems to be the easiest way to get new stuff into the phone fast. (OTOH, it has 802.11N, which is probably approaching the same effective speed as moving ROMs via MicroSD.)
    I for one have a 32gb iphone i have 20ish gigs of music
    and i dont listen to 20 gigs in the car or whatever....but it is nice to have the option to listen to anything in my whole library at any given moment
    that is why i like having the space for it.thats why people have 500gig ipods and whatnot because they dont want to be in the situation where theyre like
    "o i want to listen to the...(insert album name here) o crap i dont have it uploaded on my (insert device here)

    i've been keeping up with the nexus s rumors and i am MAJORLY disappointed

    not because of dual core(i can live with that)
    not because of HSPA+(although i prefer it its not that bad that its not in)
    BUT THE LACK OF A FREAKING SD SLOT...WHAT!?!??!
    they better come out with a 32gb or something with more than 16gb or else a bunch of people arent going to buy this thing

    its freaking gimped
    this phone will be out of date in a matter of 2-6 months
  16. #16  
    NEO_FOLLOWER2's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    2.3.3 Gingerbread

    Default

    i simply cannot wait any longer

    unlesss they release a 32gb of the nexus s im prolly gonna get a n1 and wait for the next nexus

    3g on tmobile with the n1
    is certainly better than edge on tmobile im currently getting on my iphone
  17. #17  

    Default

    Is everyone forgetting another feature introduced in Froyo? Streaming of your library to your phone. If they really integrate this into Gingerbread and make a really easy and rock solid processes then you wont have to take any of your music with you when you go. Just leave your Computer on at home.(I already do anyway.) and you can stream your library everywhere. That leave 16gigs for pics, movies, apps. I'm sure Google will add services to move pics and movies you record directly to you home computer where ever you are. So really what you got is 16gigs for apps. I think that's enough.
  18. #18  
    NEO_FOLLOWER2's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    2.3.3 Gingerbread

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5n4r35 View Post
    Is everyone forgetting another feature introduced in Froyo? Streaming of your library to your phone. If they really integrate this into Gingerbread and make a really easy and rock solid processes then you wont have to take any of your music with you when you go. Just leave your Computer on at home.(I already do anyway.) and you can stream your library everywhere. That leave 16gigs for pics, movies, apps. I'm sure Google will add services to move pics and movies you record directly to you home computer where ever you are. So really what you got is 16gigs for apps. I think that's enough.
    well it doesnt have hspa+ so speeds arent as fast as they can be
    and what if you dont have signal?
    i drive north(i live in austin) and theres a whole area where i dont have internet signal
  19. #19  
    serpico's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

    Default

    The additional storage is not just to carry your entire media library to view or play when you want to, it's the point of having not to sync your phone to your pc every time to do so.
  20. #20  

    Default

    The problem that everyone seems to have with this is not if 16gb is enough or not....it's the option of expanding their memory eventhough they dont use all of it. I for one like the option to have more than less. We will see how this work out once it's finally out.
  21. #21  
    serpico's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

    Default

    This is another reason why I don't like the iPhone with fixed storage. I'm not someone who buys the smallest amount of memory in a phone then upgrades 3-6 months later when I run out of storage. Getting the Nexus One with expandable memory was a big plus. Buying the Nexus S would mean changing my habits on how I use my phone and carrying another device like an iPad or iPod for media.
  22. #22  

    Default

    no expandable memory is a major downfall. the one problem i have with my N1 is its lack of internal memory. while 16gb is HUGE and i can't imagine filling it up, it's always nice to have options.
  23. #23  

    Default

    also what happens if you fly a lot like me....airplanes = no data = no streaming
  24. #24  

    Default

    Someone on the last page called bs for people wanting more space on their phones, are you serious man? That's like saying computer hard drives shouldn't be any larger than 100gb because most people don't use the memory, that's crap man. I use my smartphone as a mobile computer. I don't always have access to a computer so I need enough space for all of my games, music, photos, applications, misc. files and everything else. 16GB will not be enough in the long run and I would be really pissed if android goes the path of the iPhone.
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1
  25. #25  
    Baconator's Avatar
    AC Adviser

    Posts
    1,024 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

    Default

    Where does it say it does not have expandable memory on the google nexus site?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions