Will the Nexus S work on AT&T 3G?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but that's wrong. It's missing the 850MHz frequency. No AT&T 3G in the U.S. You'll be able to get 3G outside of the US, though. It's just like the T-Mobile version of the Nexus One (or any other TMo phone, for that matter).

That sucks. So ATT still has crap android phones. Phil do you think they will make a ATT capable version of the nexus s?

Wait, on http://www.google.com/nexus/#!/tech-specs this page it mentions the 850 band under quad band gsm.

Last edited:

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
actually there was a AT&T version of the Nexus One. So I guess what you're saying is true. AT&T will never get a good android phone, they got a GREAT android phone.

The question is, though, will the Nexus S ever make it over to AT&T for their 3G network? That's what I'm wondering.

I think the problem is that this would be a direct competitor with the LG Quantum, and since AT&T just rolled out that phone, it'll be a minute before they get it.

I'd personally like to give this phone a go, but until it gets HSDPA on AT&T, I'm not especially interested.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The question is, though, will the Nexus S ever make it over to AT&T for their 3G network? That's what I'm wondering.

I think the problem is that this would be a direct competitor with the LG Quantum, and since AT&T just rolled out that phone, it'll be a minute before they get it.

I'd personally like to give this phone a go, but until it gets HSDPA on AT&T, I'm not especially interested.

The nexus one came out with an ATT 3g version 3 months after initial release. So perhaps the same will happen with the nexus s.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm just going to get a EVO. I've been wanting for a long time but I'm ready to switch. I can't stand att's bad service and crap selection of phones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S is not any better than the Captivate. So I would say the Captivate is a pretty damn good ATT Android phone.

No front facing camera. And it has touchwiz. So the Captivate is not even close to the Nexus S.

Yeah same hardware, but that's it.

Word is the ATT/Rogers version will be out sometime in Feb.

Please provide a link to your source when posting stuff like this.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I am dying for a AT&T version so I can use it in Canada on Telus. At least the current model would get 2G/EDGE on Rogers. Unfortunately Telus has no 2G. I just Google wouldn;t go around posting tweets that the Nexus S will work on any GSM network, since that is untrue.

Kid1da

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
A best buy rep told a friend of mine it will work on attnt 3g bands. I know better and I told him it wouldn't. My guess is the rep lied to get the sell.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the EVO is a nice looking phone but good god does the battery life on it suck. Its horrid.

I have a day one EVO and after their first software update, my battery lasts just as long as my Pre's battery did. Not sure what you're running, but you may want to see what apps you have running behind the scenes. Things like Yahoo messenger suck the battery dry with however they're doing polling.

I like the Nexus S form factor, but not enough "next gen" for me to move off my EVO. Not to mention no T-Mobile service where I am. If it did work on AT&T full speed, I might consider it.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think the EVO is a nice looking phone but good god does the battery life on it suck. Its horrid.

Posted this in another forum, but after owning two iPhones (3G and 4), I'm used to crappy battery life. I think it shouldn't come as a surprise honestly, these phones do way more then our old nokia's. I'm usually close to some form of power, so it really won't be a issue for me. I appreciate the heads up though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo