Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus S - What happened? Could this be the story?

I hope more light is shed regarding the Nexus S story. Some things don't add up to me.

Google's Eric Schmidt said during the Summer that there would be no Nexus Two, saying that the Nexus One accomplished what they set out to do. Some have construed this to mean other things, and even Eric himself has said what he really meant was that he didn't want to use the name "Nexus 2" or something to that effect. Is this true? I'm not sure. Or did Google see the success of Samsung's Galaxy S line to all four major carriers (and others), which was something Google was hoping to accomplish with the Nexus One, and see the quality of Samsung's SAMOLED and felt it would optimize 2.3's darker color format well, and so decided to reach out to them to have them revise their Galaxy S line to a Nexus brand? Or did Google reach out to them before they released the Galaxy line to make the next Nexus, and if so, why would Eric make such comment implying there would be no future Nexus phones? It could, of course, be simple misdirection.

Considering the Nexus S is not being developed from the ground up, and is more or less based on the Galaxy S line, research, development, and manufacturing time could have been accomplished between the late Summer/early Fall release of Galaxy phones to now December, for the Nexus S launch. Considering Samsung doesn't seem to have any real history of "shortages," their manufacturing plants could be up for the challenge?

Then, you have the supposed "delay" of the Nexus S. It turns out the Best Buy leaked specs were real (the official specs is almost exactly what the BB specs said it would be - 1 GHz single core, no HSPA+ support...). So what was the delay? Well, just last week the FFC received radio changes to the i9020 model (aka the Nexus S number). Was that the slight hardward delay/tweak? And not what Androidandme thought was the scrapping of single-core to have dual-core? But they also said dual-core Nexus S prototypes were out in the wild in testing. Did the tests not go well with Gingerbread, which has been reported to not be optimized yet for dual-cores, and thus Google deciding to stick to the single-core for final production? Or were those supposedly dual-core Nexus S prototypes really prototypes of Samsung's i9200 phones, aka Galaxy S2?

I don't know. This is all speculation and musing. The Nexus S story doesn't add up. Given some baffling decisions regarding the official specs - namely lack of HSPA+ (or "4G") support - I suspect Google rushed this when they saw the success of Galaxy S and Samsung's SAMOLED technology, and tried, but couldn't get dual-cores to work properly and in time to meet their December release deadline (Gingerbread had to be released before Christmas).

Is a dual-core, HSPA+ capable Nexus S floating around out there in prototype/testing form to be released in 2011? Does the Nexus S story add up to you guys?
    Last edited by onthecouchagain; 12-06-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Possibly an upcomming Nexus S+
    Or maybe the S is for Single core so a D for Dual core

This.could be it though

Still surprised they supported NFC before HSPA+

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _Zguy__ View Post
    Possibly an upcomming Nexus S+
    Or maybe the S is for Single core so a D for Dual core

This.could be it though
    Hey you could be right. Companies have the craziest naming schemes sometimes!
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JoseN305 View Post
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing. NFC seems like a good idea down the road, but don't see it big real soon.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

They have to know that releasing a Nexus S+ a few months after convincing people to splash out $529+tax on the Nexus S would be a very bad idea. I cant think of a better way to alienate the tech savvy users who are the Nexus lines target.

The Nexus 1 had a nice long life and I expect the Nexus S to do the same. I wouldnt expect another Nexus model until late '11. So what Google is really saying is that they think a single core device with 512mb RAM will be perfectly fine for most of '11. I have to agree, I cant remember the last time RAM or processor speed was an issue on my Nexus 1.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,113 Global Posts

Wow. That's quite a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    Nexus S Headed to Verizon with 4G? Rumors Begin to Swirl Nexus S Headed to Verizon with 4G? Rumors Begin to Swirl | Android Phone Fans

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    Nexus S Headed to Verizon with 4G? Rumors Begin to Swirl Nexus S Headed to Verizon with 4G? Rumors Begin to Swirl | Android Phone Fans
    Such a baseless rumor. I hate when sites make things up like that when they are FAR from being concrete.

Hey, Sprint never said the Evo 2 wouldn't release tomorrow so let me create an article saying that it might release tomorrow! Come on now..
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1

What this person said has me thinking even harder than before. Something told me Google might be thinking about using the Galaxy S line up to promote the next version of android. If it where up to me, i'd make the whole Nexus line-up with samsung. They are beast at hardware, but terrible with software(My own opinion), but I did like the TouchWiz 3.0. Google obviously is perfect with software, so why not make some kind of partnership with samsung, that way samsung would never be late with updates.
    Just A Young Mans Dreams Though...

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC Sense 3.0

I dunno but we are missing something here.. Nexus S just doesn't make sense.... So disappointed.... Fuuuuuuu!!!!!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

More evidence we should wait before jumping on the Nexus S?

Promise of something better from Samsung in Feb?

Could it be the Galaxy S2?
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

Quote Originally Posted by JoseN305 View Post
    I personally see more value in the NFC thing that HSPA+... the phone will still do 7.2Mbps down... plenty fast.... and besides, they are the first to do NFC... they

hopefully this NFC push will pave the way to "digital wallets" like Japan (osaifu?) has had for years already...
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    I personally see more value in the NFC thing that HSPA+... the phone will still do 7.2Mbps down... plenty fast.... and besides, they are the first to do NFC... they

hopefully this NFC push will pave the way to "digital wallets" like Japan (osaifu?) has had for years already...
    Then this should alarm you: NFC in Gingerbread is Crippled

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

I'm sure we'll all know more before end of the month of what the story is as more news trickles in. Can't wait for some real world reviews next week. Then we'll see if this is worthy of the name Nexus!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I think the real disappointment is not in the lack of dual-core vs. single-core, but the baffling (not so baffling, really, considering I feel the Google/Sammy partnership came mid-year during or after the Galaxy S success, and they both rushed to get the next Nexus with Gingerbread out before Xmas) decision to not support HSPA+. Considering all carriers are pushing and moving toward "4G" for the year 2011 (which is coming in 3 weeks), and that some handsets out currently feature it already, makes it difficult to drop $529 dollars on a phone that isn't a little more future-proof, at least into the year 2011. Along with the other minor detractors (eg. lack of SD slot, 480p HD, NFC seemingly only a glorified bar code scanner, dropping the LED, bluetooth downgrade) it just seems like a step back, and doesn't live up to the Nexus branding.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Another report based on the same rumor:Verizon to get 4G compatible Nexus S in Feb?

Rumor running amok, no doubt, but baseless rumors aside, would it be that surprising that a Verizon Nexus S will take advantage of a network which Veriz. is about to push hard (LTE/"4G")? Will Samsung's processors be optimized by February for different network's "4G"?

I hate Nexus S.

(Nexus One owner)

I blame its fault on that NFC tech.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A lot of you think this was a mistake but these choices have to have a reason. Now another thing is that the Nexus S will not be crippled because it still has that innovation of a front facing camera plus instant updates from Google. Also the device still last longer than expected considering the display is still the best around and the processor is comparable to a tegra 2 dual core. Besides that, no one really knows if gingerbread actually supports dual core in the first place, this could probably be the reason for no dual core.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10