Who will be upgrading to the Nexus S?

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone! Longtime forum lurker and Android enthusiast here. Finally decided to join the community :)

Ok so I'm currently on a nexus one and am wondering who else here is contemplating switching to the nexus S? We all know that specs wise, it ain't much of a step up. But being an Android enthusiast with lust for shiny new gadgets I'm seriously considering it.

Chime in if you plan to or plan not to upgrade to the Nexus S. I'm interested in starting a discussion on this and hearing your rationale.

p.s. Mods: I think the nexus s should be posted under google not Samsung section ;)

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Currently have a launch day Evo and in no way will I get a Nexus S for obvious reasons, carrier and its not htc. The only phone I would upgrade to is an Evo 2.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a Fascinate and i wont be "upgrading" to a Nexus S but i believe i will be buying one as a Sidegrade lol ... i think it will be a great phone to tinker with. but as for everyday use ill stick to my fascinate.

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting this phone for the faster updates and no carrier bloatware. I think the Nexus S will have 3.0 before the Galaxy S phones even get 2.3. It is a perfect combination, Samsung handles the hardware and Google handles the software updates.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting this phone for the faster updates and no carrier bloatware. I think the Nexus S will have 3.0 before the Galaxy S phones even get 2.3. It is a perfect combination, Samsung handles the hardware and Google handles the software updates.

Oh im sure it will at this rate lol

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will be waiting, personally. I think the Google/Sammy partnership came mid-year during or after the Galaxy S success, and they both rushed to get the next Nexus with Gingerbread out before Xmas. It just doesn't seem right to drop $529 dollars for a phone that isn't a little more future-proof, at least into the year 2011.

I think the real disappointment is not in the lack of dual-core vs. single-core, but the baffling decision to not support HSPA+. Considering all carriers are pushing and moving toward "4G" for the year 2011 (which is coming in 3 weeks), and that some handsets out currently feature it already, makes it difficult to spend that kind of money. Along with other minor detractors (eg. lack of SD slot, 480p HD, NFC seemingly only a glorified bar code scanner, dropping the LED) it just seems like a step back, and doesn't live up to the Nexus branding.

I'm not sure if I'd be happy allowing Google/Sammy to get away with it, especially when there are rumors of future handsets as soon as January/Feb. which will be more future-proof. Yes, technology always is improving at a rapid pace, but within a month or two? I think I can wait.

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I need my docks baby! Where my docks at? Where's the accessories and the contact points on the bottom of the phone like the N1?

I'll need to see what else is on the market when February rolls around for the other model to arrive for the rest of us. Maybe Google knows that dual core phones will be announced but not shipping until Honeycomb is available a year from now. But I'll wait for 2.3 to be available on my N1 before I make any solid decisions. It might be enough to get me through another year.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The real issue is, you're giving up a lot more than just $529 (a hefty sum already) price tag. You're also giving up HSPA+, bluetooth 3.0, higher than 480p HD recording, the LED light (for some), and an expandable SD card slot.

I guess the question is, is it worth those trade-offs to have direct and clean Google updates. It may be for some.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Nexus One, and being the shameless Google whore that I am, I've already pre-ordered. The internal storage improvements are worth it for me. I have never filled my 4GB SD card on the N1, but run out of internal storage on a weekly basis. (Yes, I know I could root, but I'm really not up for that at the moment).

RSGray

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well...I have a Cliq. So basically anything I get will be an upgrade. I'd been salivating over the Nexus S since the rumors first started swirling but now that the specs are out, I'm rather disappointed. Still, it'll be an upgrade in a major way, and I'm not sure that, after the Cliq update drama, I can handle waiting on Android upgrades.

sandpaperback

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn. I picked up the MyTouch Slide when it came out. My wife just got the MyTouch 4G and it is sweet. At this point it would be between those two, but I'm not due for an upgrade until March. So we'll see what we can get at that point.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Just convinced our cleaning lady at work to get one , so she is going to preorder it , lol looks like ill be playing with it sooner than i thought :)

Tanatorn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Currently playing with my n1, and will probably wait for 2.3 on this nexus before i go out and attempt to buy the n-s... chances are i won't,i dislike samsung phones. I dont know about a lot of you, but i sit on my phone in my butt pocket, and i sit the **** out of my nexus one, i just dont think that curve screen and plastic outsides will be... very... good? (in terms of how long it last and durability) So right now i'm currently not very "impressed" by this nexus s, but i would rather wait maybe for a dual core phone, since i know the n1 is getting 2.3 so it should last a couple more months before it just gets completely outdated by newer competition. (plus i just got swype on this n1) happy camper

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Currently playing with my n1, and will probably wait for 2.3 on this nexus before i go out and attempt to buy the n-s... chances are i won't,i dislike samsung phones. I dont know about a lot of you, but i sit on my phone in my butt pocket, and i sit the **** out of my nexus one, i just dont think that curve screen and plastic outsides will be... very... good? (in terms of how long it last and durability) So right now i'm currently not very "impressed" by this nexus s, but i would rather wait maybe for a dual core phone, since i know the n1 is getting 2.3 so it should last a couple more months before it just gets completely outdated by newer competition. (plus i just got swype on this n1) happy camper

i have a fascinate with a hard two piece case and i sit with mine in my back pocket and it hasnt affected the phone or the case not one bit.

ibabox

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I need my docks baby! Where my docks at? Where's the accessories and the contact points on the bottom of the phone like the N1?

I'll need to see what else is on the market when February rolls around for the other model to arrive for the rest of us. Maybe Google knows that dual core phones will be announced but not shipping until Honeycomb is available a year from now. But I'll wait for 2.3 to be available on my N1 before I make any solid decisions. It might be enough to get me through another year.

I second that, the N1 is still running strong for a 1 year old, the only thing that I am sad about is my N1 is not first in line for the new updates.

Why oh why did Google have to go with Samsung when HTC already proved themselves with the awesome N1 why google why?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084