Get a Nexus S, G2 or Epic?

hamlet423#AC

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
So I will eventually upgrade to an android phone from my older but nice palm pre. It was a great phone, but hp ain't gonna save palm, the market is obviously android and iOS. Blackberry is just holding on...

So, is the Nexus S, as an official GOOGLE phone, any better at this point than the G2? I mean, the G2 seems pretty nice --does it have any bloatware?

Tmobile might not be good as sprint or verizon in my area (seattle) but I'd be more interest in a phone with minimal bloatware and the best overall unfiltered google android experience..

David

blumoonmedia

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The G2 is an impressive phone. It is a near-vanilla experience, but they unfortunately still snuck some bloatware and design changes here and there. The Nexus S not only features a fully vanilla Android Gingerbread experience, it also features a better battery, 16GB on-board storage, and built-in NFC hardware. To the dismay of many Android lovers, the Nexus S does not have a Micro-SD card slot, so that may figure into the equation for you.

Check this link for a handy side-by-side comparison: http://www.google.com/phone/compare/?phone=nexus-s&phone=t-mobile-g2

I hope this helps! Good luck in choosing the right phone. :)

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I would choose either the G2 or the Epic. The main reason why anyone would want the Nexus S is for the screen and the updates, but the roms could easily be ported over to the G2 and Epic. Is it enough to sacrifice 4G connectivity, a Micro SD Card Slot, 720p Video Recording Quality, and a lackluster design? I think not.

G2 if you want the fastest phone on the planet, or the Epic if you want the full keyboard and 4inch samoled screen.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I would take the Epic over the other two phones. The Nexus S is missing a lot of hardware features. The lack of the micro sd slot, no HD video recording, and no HSPA +. Doesn't seem to be as good as some of the Android devices already out. The G2 seems cool, but the hinge bothers me. I would rather have the Epic or the MyTouch 4G.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
how many of you have more than 16gig micro SD cards????????????? thought so, so what do you need the sd slot for. yeah its a nice feature to be able to swap if you want but are you really planning on spending another 130 dollars for a 32gig card?

Nexus S may not be the next wave of super phones , but it is still a high end phone with pure google, amazing screen. Google may not have wanted break through hardware device. but this device is sure to be solid reliable phone with no bloatware messing with gps or UI.

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
how many of you have more than 16gig micro SD cards????????????? thought so, so what do you need the sd slot for. yeah its a nice feature to be able to swap if you want but are you really planning on spending another 130 dollars for a 32gig card?

You don't have to have a 32gb MicroSD card to put into Android phones.

You can use any size, the 32Gb is just the max limit. Say if you have 16 gb of just music you want to put on your phone...your internal memory will be filled. You can buy a 2gb/4gb/whatever size card, and put all your apps, etc on there.

I'd go with the G2, the Nexus S doesn't seem that much of a difference from the Vibrant, and that's not even one of your choices.

JoseN305

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Two of them have a keyboard, one doesnt.
Two of them have a front camera, one doesnt.
Two of them have sd slots, one doesnt.
Two of them will be on Tmobile, one isnt.
Two of them are 4G, one isnt.

Just chose which features matter to you. I want a front camera, HSPA+ and 720p recording on tmobile which the MT4G satisfies but I didnt like it so I continue to wait.

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know which you should get... but I will say this. My GF has a G2 and I have a N1. Her screen looks so much sharper than mine that it almost makes me jealous. I'm a virtual keyboard guy though and prize thin phones over bulkier ones with actual keyboards. If I could get a G2 without the keyboard, it would be perfect.

egginator

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S. The upgrades and the screen are worth it. Plus, if it's the same camera lens as the one on the Vibrant, it can be hacked into shooting 720p

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
G2 is great but way too chunky for my tastes. Plus I hate that using the G2 while laying down causes the hinge to drop the screen down. My last Android was the N1 and I really like the pure, no BS, Android experience. Nexus S all the way for me!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I would choose either the G2 or the Epic. The main reason why anyone would want the Nexus S is for the screen and the updates, but the roms could easily be ported over to the G2 and Epic. Is it enough to sacrifice 4G connectivity, a Micro SD Card Slot, 720p Video Recording Quality, and a lackluster design? I think not.

G2 if you want the fastest phone on the planet, or the Epic if you want the full keyboard and 4inch samoled screen.

The Nexus S is being reported as faster than any current android phone out right now. So the G2 is NOT the fastest.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Too soon to say, but I am liking the Nexus more than any device, especially any dual core device, LG star looks like the software will cripple it.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant

jdkoreclipse

Banned
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Nexus S may not be the next wave of super phones , but it is still a high end phone with pure google, amazing screen. Google may not have wanted break through hardware device. but this device is sure to be solid reliable phone with no bloatware messing with gps or UI.

I use 16gb

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Since you're in Seattle and 4g is in your area, why not get the EVO or epic. If you really want a galaxy phone then I suggest the Epic. Comparing the Nexus S and Epic side by side, I think the Epic has more to give than the Nexus S. Unless you want a pure android experience, and voip.

Ultimately it is up to you. I say play with the devices that you would like to have and check which carrier will benefit you in the long run and what services they can provide. Over I just feel that the Nexus S is lacking on some key features.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Two of them have a keyboard, one doesnt.
Two of them have a front camera, one doesnt.
Two of them have sd slots, one doesnt.
Two of them will be on Tmobile, one isnt.
Two of them are 4G, one isnt.

Just chose which features matter to you. I want a front camera, HSPA+ and 720p recording on tmobile which the MT4G satisfies but I didnt like it so I continue to wait.

All of them have a ffc.

Id go with the G2. Definitely not the epic, samsung is doing the galaxy s phones dirty.

Personally the G2 is my favorite phone, and I wish I could get it, I'm most likely gonna swap my evo for the sprint version if the G2. Its that good.

1.G2 (btw, its better than a hummingbird imo because it has the same performance and better battery. It can be overclocked to 1.8ghz too, just saying)
2.Nexus S (no sd card, 4g, or 720p until hacked...)
3.epic. (i wouldn't touch the epic. Its got great hardware though, but samsung finds a way...)

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Too soon to say, but I am liking the Nexus more than any device, especially any dual core device, LG star looks like the software will cripple it.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant

Yeah that Star looks like it is going to be loaded up with a bunch of crap. Plus its LG.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800