1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Upgrading Via Best Buy

I'm likely going to buy the Nexus S upon launch, but I have a question regarding the buying process with Best Buy. I rather loathe the company so I've no idea how this works, but every time I check the upgrade checker on the site, it tells me I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next year when my contract ends. However, T-Mobile offers early upgrade discounts after a year and I hit my eligibility date yesterday. Does this mean I would have to pay the full price for the phone? Is the $199 price only for new contracts? Any insight's appreciated, thanks.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

As far as I know, Best Buy can only upgrade you when your contract is up. T-Mobile, and others often will offer early upgrades. I did that when I got my Droid X from Verizon. Only the carriers are able to do the early upgrades.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Best Buy can only give you an upgrade once you're actually eligible. They use a system that taps into your account much in the same way that checking your account status online from home does. If you want to take advantage of an early upgrade like you described, I imagine you'll have to go directly to T-Mobile, which unfortunately won't help you here if you're looking to get the Nexus S...

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Oh, that womps. So the $199 is only for new contracts? Arg. It would be nice if this were available directly from T-Mobile at some point.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RSGray View Post
    Oh, that womps. So the $199 is only for new contracts? Arg. It would be nice if this were available directly from T-Mobile at some point.
    Well, no. It's available for upgrades, but if T-Mobile is telling you you're technically not eligible (and thus only offering you a 1 year early upgrade), from my understanding Best Buy won't be able to honor this. Just like Verizon will allow you to upgrade up to 3 months early, but Best Buy can't process the "early" upgrade.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

I just talked with TMO customer Loyalty, they made sure i was avail for upgrade to purchase the Nexus S at Bestbuy...I wasnt available for it but i told them what the deal was and they hooked me up...Sweet