Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the Nexus S have the Galaxy S Gps issue?

Just curious if anyone would know.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by thedeadbaby View Post
    Just curious if anyone would know.
    well it will be available for purchase in a couple hours so we will find out soon.....but strongly believe that it will be fine, because the gps issue was a software issue possibly happening from samsungs tinkering. so most likely it will be fine since minimum tinkering is happening with this phone besides the hardware to software interface

I have read Gizmodo's recent review (it went up yesterday) and they are reporting that it does in fact have this problem

From Gizmodo:

"It's apparently plagued by the same GPS bug as other Galaxy S phones; it took forever to get a GPS lock."

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

That would be a huge disappointment. I will test later today and return if it does not work well.
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

ready about the GPS and watching the video on gizmodo... i'm left rather unimpressed and disappointed... still seems laggy from that vid...

***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One

I purchased the Nexus S today at 8:00AM at my local Best Buy Mobile. I was the fifth person to purchase it, and there were two more people behind me. I paid full price, so it was fairly fast.
    I used the GPS to get to my next stop, which was about 50 minutes away. GPS lock only took a few seconds. I had zero problems during my trip. This doesn't prove that the problem has been fixed, but so far so good.

That is good to hear. Maybe Giz was trying to get a fix indoors. Who knows. My buddy down in LA says his GPS works great too.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I read that Giz article too. If you look at their other Android reviews they are hugely biased to the iPhone. I haven't liked Gizmodo since that stupid iPhone 4 went missing at the bar. Since then their journalism skills have taken a serious hit. I'm glad to hear the device doesn't have the problem. I wouldn't think it would since it's a Google Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I have read Gizmodo's recent review (it went up yesterday) and they are reporting that it does in fact have this problem
    ^ HAHA, this is going to bite Google in the **** pretty soon.
    HTC Desire / CyanogenMod 7.1
    Motorola can kiss my a##

Default GPS Issue

anandtech.com's report says there is no GPS issue. I found another review on a UK site that backed it up, but I can't find the website at the moment. (It's on my home PC).

_Mark

GPS seems fine here. It's different hardware, so it should be OK.

*knock on wood*
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

I'm not having GPS issues at all.

Remember, the Captivate worked fine right out of the box. It took about two weeks for the problems to become obvious. Hopefully it is fixed, but it's probably too soon to tell.

GPS is rock solid on mine. Zero issues even indoors.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

So far I can't get a lock even outside with a clear view of the sky. I guess I'll be exchanging the phone.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

I spoke too soon. I did get a lock eventually. It now seems to get the lock a little quicker. Maybe the first time you get a GPS lock on a phone it takes longer the subsequent tries?

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why the hell are you on Gizmodo? Go to Engadget. They are not as biased, and they don't complain "power button is on the side, that just sucks" a lot of people like it on the side, it makes more sense to put it on the side, no they are just used to tweeting on their stupid iPhone 5 that they found in a Starbucks. In other words, my GPS got me and my buddies from Lehigh Acres to Cape Coral, without a hitch. Rerouting was blazing fast and it already came with the proper software for the voice navigation.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    Why the hell are you on Gizmodo? Go to Engadget. They are not as biased, and they don't complain "power button is on the side, that just sucks" a lot of people like it on the side, it makes more sense to put it on the side, no they are just used to tweeting on their stupid iPhone 5 that they found in a Starbucks. In other words, my GPS got me and my buddies from Lehigh Acres to Cape Coral, without a hitch. Rerouting was blazing fast and it already came with the proper software for the voice navigation.

Sent from my Nexus S
    +1,000 for the Gizmodo hate. I have NO idea what happened to that site. It's like after that whole iPhone 4 fiasco they turned into d!cks. The articles suck, and the journalism skills just aren't there. Oh and biased is an understatement.

They review an android app "well but the on the iPhone version this button is here". They review an android phone "well, android still sucks in comparison to my iPhone but it's Meh I guess"

Not everyone wants an iPhone. Some people actually want MORE features.

/rant /off-topic.

sorry guys I had to get it off my chest lol.
    Low

Default nope

gps works great
    i have no clue what giz is talking about

I got my Nexus S Thurs morning in Kansas City then promptly flew to California. GPS seemed to work ok in Cali. After flying back on Friday night, I tried to do a Facebook Places checkin somewhere in Kansas on Saturday and it still thought I was in California somewhere. Not sure what was going on. I gave up. Today GPS seems to be working fine.

Definitely seems like there may be a GPS issue.

Hello. I got my NS on day one. Sometimes it seems fine, others it takes FOREVER. Sometimes, even though it's "locked on" it's still with 100+ ft of variation. Last night, I had my most annoying interaction.

I was in a parking garage in an unfamiliar area of downtown. I have a shortcut for "Navigate to Home" on one of my side screens. As I was getting in the car, I clicked it, knowing full well I wouldn't get a signal until out of the garage.

Not only was I able to get out of the garage, get semi lost in downtown streets until I found the right one, get on the freeway, I was halfway home (24 mile trip) before navigation "got a signal". It had been so long, that I forgot I still had maps going, and when it started talking it scared the bajeebus out of me.

I did this (procedure) all the time with my N1, and I would usually be getting fed directions by the time I got to the first light out of the garage.

I know different surroundings and weather can affect the signals, but I've noticed super delay like this alot in the same areas where the N1 would lock on almost immediately. For instance, coming to work, I check in on foursquare (There are like 7 of us competing for building mayor. ). On my N1, I'd start foursquare as I was getting out of the car (not in a garage) and by the time I started walking away, I could check in. Now, I can't check in at work really unless I walk all the way into the building and catch wifi signals and it uses AGPS to locate me.

Sadly, it seems like I have to be awfully close to get a wifi signal too. Google and Samsung.. What have you done to us?!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Using my Nexus S in Ottawa, ON Canada and GPS lock is obtained within seconds and at my exact location
    Low

in nyc gps works great

I'll just stick with my DX for now, had the captivate at a time and the GPS drove me insane. The GPS works great on my DX and has never shown me to be driving on a street a block away in navigation like the captivate did. Gingerbread should hopefully be landing on the DX soon enough. I read somewhere about the last minute hardware changes samsung did on the NS. I bet its because they were trying to use the same faulty broadcom GPS chips that are plaguing the Galaxy S phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast