Going to be returning Nexus S

chrispix

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Was first in line today all pumped to get a Nexus S. I was first in line for the G1 when it was first released. My Nexus One's screen broke about two weeks ago, I figured I might as well upgrade. But after getting the phone, the $580 price tag (inc tax) seems a little steep when I have a N1 w/ a broken screen (~150 to fix). I guess I was hooked when the rumors said it was dual core. I figured what the heck.. After playing with it for a little bit, I have a few comments. And why I am going to return it.

Pro)
1) Display is nice
2) Curve screen is kind of cool
3) Dual cameras
4) NFC
5) 16gig memory

Con)
1) Usb & 3.5mm both on bottom of phone.. is it that hard for 3.5mm top, and usb bottom?
2) Camera only 5megapixel
3) No one is really doing anything yet w/ NFC.
4) No SD Card
5) phone gets pretty warm
6) Feels kind of brittle. (not as sturdy as N1)
7) no track ball.

The only real difference between the phones really breaks down to the fact that it has 2 cameras
The only difference really ends up being that the NS has NFC & 2 Cameras. If I can fix my N1 for $150, is the $400 difference worth NFC and the extra camera? For me the answer is no.. I am going to fix my cracked screen, and keep my N1. Going to hold out for a native android phone that is dual core. I figure I will be able to sell my N1 then and cover the repair cost.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to prevent you from returning it, but you have to admit that Nexus One had the heating problem as well. I got mine on day one and it was hot while charging, after using it for a while, hot when battery low, hot this, hot that, but it got fixed after that first update if I remember correctly.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Was first in line today all pumped to get a Nexus S. I was first in line for the G1 when it was first released. My Nexus One's screen broke about two weeks ago, I figured I might as well upgrade. But after getting the phone, the $580 price tag (inc tax) seems a little steep when I have a N1 w/ a broken screen (~150 to fix). I guess I was hooked when the rumors said it was dual core. I figured what the heck.. After playing with it for a little bit, I have a few comments. And why I am going to return it.

Pro)
1) Display is nice
2) Curve screen is kind of cool
3) Dual cameras
4) NFC
5) 16gig memory

Con)
1) Usb & 3.5mm both on bottom of phone.. is it that hard for 3.5mm top, and usb bottom?
2) Camera only 5megapixel
3) No one is really doing anything yet w/ NFC.
4) No SD Card
5) phone gets pretty warm
6) Feels kind of brittle. (not as sturdy as N1)
7) no track ball.

The only real difference between the phones really breaks down to the fact that it has 2 cameras
The only difference really ends up being that the NS has NFC & 2 Cameras. If I can fix my N1 for $150, is the $400 difference worth NFC and the extra camera? For me the answer is no.. I am going to fix my cracked screen, and keep my N1. Going to hold out for a native android phone that is dual core. I figure I will be able to sell my N1 then and cover the repair cost.

All of your complaints are very valid, but I have to ask...did you not know about some of these limitations before buying the phone?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
They had a Demo version right, and i mean this phone was not meant to be a crowd pleaser, its obvious since most stores have maybe 5 or 6 in stock

chrispix

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
They had a Demo version right, and i mean this phone was not meant to be a crowd pleaser, its obvious since most stores have maybe 5 or 6 in stock

I knew about some of the limitations ahead of time. Like single core.. But that was just one of the things that tilted it towards returning..

I had not noticed the headphone jack on the bottom. The others I did notice, but after using it for 4 hours or so, I came the the realization it was really like the nexus one, not really offering much more than an extra camera and NFC.

It feels pretty flimsy too. Sometimes you have to use it and see what feels right.. For me, back to nexus one.. The T-Mobile branded market does not help matters.. so much for pure android :/

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You know thats another thing, just cause something is plastic doesnt make it flimsy. or a worse build, plastics are made for a reason. something plastic can absorb more impact metal, you drop a metal encased phone and not only do you dent but the impact is transfered rather than absorbed. and since when is lighter worse, my new gf is like 30lbs lighter than my ex and im super happy :)

falconeight

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My nexus s is better than I thought it would be. The size of the screen and it being super amoled is enough for me to put my N1 back into its box and packed away as a collectors item.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, something about the Nexus S feels even cheaper than the Vibrant. Not sure why or if it's just my imagination--could be possible. Many reviews (all reviews) have pointed this out, but it's not truly realized until one has the Nexus S in their hands. It feels like a toy.

egginator

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the bottom. Maybe it's because I use an iPod Touch as a media player, I've gotten quite used to it.

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
No offense but your list of cons are all things you knew well ahead before buying the phone.

He has a valid point though... sometimes hands on experience is needed to make a real decision. Imagine if you were dating a supermodel, but she was horrible in the sack.

chrispix

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
No offense but your list of cons are all things you knew well ahead before buying the phone.

For sure.. I needed to play with it in hand weigh all the options together. It just did not feel like a good value for me to replace my n1.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has played angry birds, and got very jittery performance?

Best buy was great about returning the device (somewhat impressed).

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
For sure.. I needed to play with it in hand weigh all the options together. It just did not feel like a good value for me to replace my n1.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has played angry birds, and got very jittery performance?

Best buy was great about returning the device (somewhat impressed).

Heck man... you could have at least played with it for a few weeks while you were waiting on your N1 being repaired. ;)

phatpaw

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
He has a valid point though... sometimes hands on experience is needed to make a real decision. Imagine if you were dating a supermodel, but she was horrible in the sack.

If her horrible bedroom performance was listed in her manual, you certainly would have known this ahead of time.

Anyhow, I am surprised the lack of HSPA+ was part of the OP's con list.

cdtan99

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
If her horrible bedroom performance was listed in her manual, you certainly would have known this ahead of time.

Anyhow, I am surprised the lack of HSPA+ was part of the OP's con list.

And if the manual says she's really bad in bed, would you not want to prove it to yourself by trying her out for a couple of hours before returning her to Best Buy?