Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going to be returning Nexus S

Was first in line today all pumped to get a Nexus S. I was first in line for the G1 when it was first released. My Nexus One's screen broke about two weeks ago, I figured I might as well upgrade. But after getting the phone, the $580 price tag (inc tax) seems a little steep when I have a N1 w/ a broken screen (~150 to fix). I guess I was hooked when the rumors said it was dual core. I figured what the heck.. After playing with it for a little bit, I have a few comments. And why I am going to return it.

Pro)
    1) Display is nice
    2) Curve screen is kind of cool
    3) Dual cameras
    4) NFC
    5) 16gig memory

Con)
    1) Usb & 3.5mm both on bottom of phone.. is it that hard for 3.5mm top, and usb bottom?
    2) Camera only 5megapixel
    3) No one is really doing anything yet w/ NFC.
    4) No SD Card
    5) phone gets pretty warm
    6) Feels kind of brittle. (not as sturdy as N1)
    7) no track ball.

The only real difference between the phones really breaks down to the fact that it has 2 cameras
    The only difference really ends up being that the NS has NFC & 2 Cameras. If I can fix my N1 for $150, is the $400 difference worth NFC and the extra camera? For me the answer is no.. I am going to fix my cracked screen, and keep my N1. Going to hold out for a native android phone that is dual core. I figure I will be able to sell my N1 then and cover the repair cost.

I don't want to prevent you from returning it, but you have to admit that Nexus One had the heating problem as well. I got mine on day one and it was hot while charging, after using it for a while, hot when battery low, hot this, hot that, but it got fixed after that first update if I remember correctly.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by chrispix View Post
    Was first in line today all pumped to get a Nexus S. I was first in line for the G1 when it was first released. My Nexus One's screen broke about two weeks ago, I figured I might as well upgrade. But after getting the phone, the $580 price tag (inc tax) seems a little steep when I have a N1 w/ a broken screen (~150 to fix). I guess I was hooked when the rumors said it was dual core. I figured what the heck.. After playing with it for a little bit, I have a few comments. And why I am going to return it.

Pro)
    1) Display is nice
    3) Dual cameras
    4) NFC
    5) 16gig memory

Con)
    1) Usb & 3.5mm both on bottom of phone.. is it that hard for 3.5mm top, and usb bottom?
    4) No SD Card
    7) no track ball.

The only real difference between the phones really breaks down to the fact that it has 2 cameras
    The only difference really ends up being that the NS has NFC & 2 Cameras. If I can fix my N1 for $150, is the $400 difference worth NFC and the extra camera? For me the answer is no.. I am going to fix my cracked screen, and keep my N1. Going to hold out for a native android phone that is dual core. I figure I will be able to sell my N1 then and cover the repair cost.
    All of your complaints are very valid, but I have to ask...did you not know about some of these limitations before buying the phone?

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

They had a Demo version right, and i mean this phone was not meant to be a crowd pleaser, its obvious since most stores have maybe 5 or 6 in stock
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    They had a Demo version right, and i mean this phone was not meant to be a crowd pleaser, its obvious since most stores have maybe 5 or 6 in stock
    I knew about some of the limitations ahead of time. Like single core.. But that was just one of the things that tilted it towards returning..

I had not noticed the headphone jack on the bottom. The others I did notice, but after using it for 4 hours or so, I came the the realization it was really like the nexus one, not really offering much more than an extra camera and NFC.

It feels pretty flimsy too. Sometimes you have to use it and see what feels right.. For me, back to nexus one.. The T-Mobile branded market does not help matters.. so much for pure android :/

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

You know thats another thing, just cause something is plastic doesnt make it flimsy. or a worse build, plastics are made for a reason. something plastic can absorb more impact metal, you drop a metal encased phone and not only do you dent but the impact is transfered rather than absorbed. and since when is lighter worse, my new gf is like 30lbs lighter than my ex and im super happy

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    and since when is lighter worse, my new gf is like 30lbs lighter than my ex and im super happy
    Loved that, lol
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by JoseN305 View Post
    Loved that, lol
    I knew someone would appreciate that lol

My nexus s is better than I thought it would be. The size of the screen and it being super amoled is enough for me to put my N1 back into its box and packed away as a collectors item.

To be honest, something about the Nexus S feels even cheaper than the Vibrant. Not sure why or if it's just my imagination--could be possible. Many reviews (all reviews) have pointed this out, but it's not truly realized until one has the Nexus S in their hands. It feels like a toy.

No offense but your list of cons are all things you knew well ahead before buying the phone.

I actually like the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the bottom. Maybe it's because I use an iPod Touch as a media player, I've gotten quite used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    No offense but your list of cons are all things you knew well ahead before buying the phone.
    He has a valid point though... sometimes hands on experience is needed to make a real decision. Imagine if you were dating a supermodel, but she was horrible in the sack.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    For sure.. I needed to play with it in hand weigh all the options together. It just did not feel like a good value for me to replace my n1.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has played angry birds, and got very jittery performance?

Best buy was great about returning the device (somewhat impressed).

For sure.. I needed to play with it in hand weigh all the options together. It just did not feel like a good value for me to replace my n1.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has played angry birds, and got very jittery performance?

Best buy was great about returning the device (somewhat impressed).
    Heck man... you could have at least played with it for a few weeks while you were waiting on your N1 being repaired.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I love mine, but I never tried Nexus One so I cannot compare. I fell in love with it all.

Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
    Imagine if you were dating a supermodel, but she was horrible in the sack.
    you train her

Quote Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
    He has a valid point though... sometimes hands on experience is needed to make a real decision. Imagine if you were dating a supermodel, but she was horrible in the sack.
    If her horrible bedroom performance was listed in her manual, you certainly would have known this ahead of time.

Anyhow, I am surprised the lack of HSPA+ was part of the OP's con list.

Just seems like something I would first go to a store and tinker with and get a good feel for before buying. To each his/her own.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by phatpaw View Post
    If her horrible bedroom performance was listed in her manual, you certainly would have known this ahead of time.

Anyhow, I am surprised the lack of HSPA+ was part of the OP's con list.
    And if the manual says she's really bad in bed, would you not want to prove it to yourself by trying her out for a couple of hours before returning her to Best Buy?

I kinda like the idea of the 3.5MM headphone jack on the bottom of the phone... when you pull it out of your pocket, the phones already facing the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by cdtan99 View Post
    And if the manual says she's really bad in bed, would you not want to prove it to yourself by trying her out for a couple of hours before returning her to Best Buy?
    Got em!

I like the looks of the Nexus S and I think that it is an improvement over the original. I think the disappointment comes with the misperception that the next itineration of the Nexus line was going to be vastly different. You can't expect an upgrade after a year to be significant. I have repeated this many times.

ROM
    cyanogen

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Sawyer View Post
    I kinda like the idea of the 3.5MM headphone jack on the bottom of the phone... when you pull it out of your pocket, the phones already facing the right way.
    Exactly!

Pro)
    1) Display is nice
    3) Dual cameras
    4) NFC
    5) 16gig memory

Con)
    4) No SD Card
    7) no track ball.

Seems to me that half of the cons were clear that the phone didnt have those features and you knew that and you still went out to buy the phone?

It sounds like that you are regretting the fact you spent $580 and were expecting to be blown away from the phone. And about the phone getting warm, my Nexus 1 got pretty warm also not a big deal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast