Nexus S Market is T-Mobile branded :(

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Be curious if there's ever an official statement or anything about it.

I wonder, though, are there two SKUs for the Nexus S? I know it's supposed to be the same phone either way, but maybe there's one part number for the one that's purchased outright and another one for the one on a T-Mobile contract?

Perhaps the outright purchased SKU doesn't have the branding?

-Mark

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
At my local Worst Buy, I convinced the kid at the mobile area to let me stick my at&t SIM in an unlocked S and I checked the market.

There was no sign of an at&t tab, I wonder if it a T-Mobile thing.

Dan

henningspruth

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
At my local Worst Buy, I convinced the kid at the mobile area to let me stick my at&t SIM in an unlocked S and I checked the market.

Dan

Must be. I just tried a german prepaid SIM card, and the "T-Mobile" tab is replaced with "Downloads".

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't have TMo. Mine only says downloads with wifi only or ATT sim.

So worst case you have to pop out the sim and use wifi to get something blocked for TMo. Is there any difference in the market on this device when it says TMo? If so, I agree that is not acceptable for a Nexus

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Dan

Must be. I just tried a german prepaid SIM card, and the "T-Mobile" tab is replaced with "Downloads".

I don't have TMo. Mine only says downloads with wifi only or ATT sim.

So worst case you have to pop out the sim and use wifi to get something blocked for TMo. Is there any difference in the market on this device when it says TMo? If so, I agree that is not acceptable for a Nexus

That's good news...and bad news. Nice to know that if T-Mo ever blocks something we want, we can yank the SIM. Bad that Google allowed TMo to do it in the first place.

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Blocks? I don't think that blocks anything. Its just a tab that shows T-mobile recommended apps. Same as on Sprint, it'll show things like Qik for the EVO etc.

Im on CM 6.1.1 and every version has shown the carrier tab.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: uansari1

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
While my Nexus 1 never had a tab for at&t, it did hide certain apps that at&t Mobility was not too fond of.

My solution was to simply put my N1 in Airplane mode, enable WiFi and bam I could choose any app that I so desired regardless of at&t Mobility's preference that I did not.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Market is designed to detect certain attributes, carrier probably being one and then follow the rules/regulations set forth by that provider.

In Tmo's case they may have requested that T-Mobile appear as a market tab when Tmo SIM chips are inserted, with regards to at&t Mobility it may be to restrict access to certain apps when an at&t Mobility SIM is inserted.

Again, I am speculating but it would seem that is the case with regards to the T-Mobile branded Market Tab.

Apropos, I had a chance to play with the Nexus S for a few seconds and while the touch panel is much more responsive than my N1, I am not sure even if El Goog and Sammy release a NAM Nexus S that I am going to buy one.

It just feels a little cheap to me and well, my N1 is still going strong and I am very happy with it.

Dan

chrispix

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue is that the market on the Nexus One shows downloads no matter what SIM you put in the phone, while the one on the NS shows either branded or downloads. It was a frustration for me as I would much rather have the shortcut to my downloads so I can manage updates w/out an extra keypress. I really could care less about T-Mobiles suggested applications.

Can anyone pull the market apk off the Nexus S, and compare it to the Nexus One Market apk? Maybe load a N1 apk onto the NS?

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems my T-Mobile tab is gone, anyone else? Its gone for me.

Sent from my Nexus S

EDIT: This device is just very weird, the new market won't load, and on top of that he T-Mobile tab is gone, is this some sort of problem with how it caches the market or something? I actually have a Google Reader icon on my Widgets screen named Reader, a couple of moments later, it's still called Google Reader... I really need someone to tell me what software glitches are Gingerbread, I have not a clue where to start.

Last edited: