Nexus S MMS Pics are highly compressed/blurry??

tdoughone

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Lol its cool. I didn't mind MMS on my N1. I sold it yesterday for 400 but it was in God like condition. I am just upset. We are talking about NS its every Nexus S phone. Not Android. I am thinking it could be a 2.3 issue. All the other galaxies don't have this problem. Is this what I get for being a loyal stock Android user?

ILUVCATS

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Chuck.
I hope this gets fixed. I love my Nexus S like i love cats. And btw the example pics were Awesome. Awesome = Catastic! :)

4994d1292626795-nexus-s-mms-pics-highly-compressed-blurry-img_0264.jpeg

4962d1292574733-nexus-s-mms-pics-highly-compressed-blurry-674.jpg

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
From what I remember the issues was something they have to adjust on their end. Nothing phone related. It had something to do with how T-Mobile handles the image and delivers it to a said phone. If the phone isnt supported (which this phone SHOULD be) then it is compressed. I dealt with crappy images on my iPhone on T-Mobile for quite a long time before one day it was working right.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Here come all the dumb comments... people still use MMS? Come on man. No way you don't. Wtf? Yes we know we have f*ing Gmail MMS is more convenient for people.

I'm not the one you're responding to, but I don't use MMS. I had it, and SMS, 100% turned off and blocked on most of my phones. It's a rip-off fee for those services, but I have alternatives. YMMV on that.

Gmail for pics, but it took a long time to train my friends to use it instead of sending an MMS and *****ing that I didn't get it.

I am a Google Voice user for a year or so, and it's the only number I give to people. GV doesn't accept MMS, so I've been without for a while, and the SMS service on it is free and goes over your data, not your voice/sms channel on the phone.

I think this is one area (actually there are several) where Jobs was right (MMS should go away and be replaced by email), but we're years away from that, it's such an embedded part of feature phone culture these days.

I picked up a Nexus S on Thursday morning, and even though my T-Mo account does have MMS (part of the package I have), I haven't used it or even tested it (because of the above). Personally I am sure that either T-Mo or Google will fix this very quickly, whoever's end the problem is actually on.

Would one of the alternate MMS packages in the market (like Handcent) handle this differently? Probably not, they're just front-ends to the messaging service, but couldn't hurt to try.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
tdoughon, mojonation,

Sorry, but have you guys *read* the responses so far? This isn't the fault of Google or Samsung. This is a T-Mobile issue, one that will be fixed eventually. As in, stop panicking and stop blaming it on Google like they killed your cat or something. The issue will be fixed soon enough.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
tdoughon, mojonation,

Sorry, but have you guys *read* the responses so far? This isn't the fault of Google or Samsung. This is a T-Mobile issue, one that will be fixed eventually. As in, stop panicking and stop blaming it on Google like they killed your cat or something. The issue will be fixed soon enough.

Exactly. T-Mobile should have had this worked out before the launch. Either way I bet they work on fixing this. If enough people bring it to their attention (which I am sure there are), it will get fixed. I dont use MMS either but it is still nice to have everything working the way it should.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The problem has nothing to do with Google, Samsung or Android.
Until Tmobile put the Nexus S in their system it will be seen as an "un-reconized" phone when you get an MMS. When it's un-reconized
the system automatically resize it to basically un-usable size.

This has happened to me on all unlocked unbrand phone on Tmobile.
There's usually a work around. With Symbian there's YaPn program
Some phone allow you to access the user agent with a code and you can change it to
one that Tmobile reconized.
On some Android if you can change the user agent string in the mms_config.xml it will work.
Handcent let you change the user agent but it's not for all carrier.

I had this happened to me recently with the Samsung Captivate.

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The problem has nothing to do with Google, Samsung or Android.
Until Tmobile put the Nexus S in their system it will be seen as an "un-reconized" phone when you get an MMS. When it's un-reconized
the system automatically resize it to basically un-usable size.

This has happened to me on all unlocked unbrand phone on Tmobile.
There's usually a work around. With Symbian there's YaPn program
On some Android if you can change the user agent string in the mms_config.xml it will work.
Handcent let you change the user agent but it's not for all carrier.

I had this happened to me recently with the Samsung Captivate.

I explained this earlier. Out of all the phones I have used over the years, only 2 or 3 never got this issue worked on and fixed. I highly doubt T-Mobile lets this continue.

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S MMS issue

The TMobile G2 suffered from this also at launch

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I have been using the phone the past few days and I'm still loving it. Unfortunately, the MMS issue persists, but I have been listening to everyone's theories. I also see the problem while using Handcent. @biguglydragon, did the issue become resolved on the G2? If this is a T-Mobile problem, why does the nexus one seem to work fine? Is it because the tmo eventually registered that phone? @ILUVCATS, thanks for the kind and catastic words!

-Chuck

Soundchuck12

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MMS Issue Acknowledged by Samsung Support!

Looks like Samsung is aware of the issue. Here's from their twitter:

GalaxySsupport Galaxy S support
@ZombieChuck Hi Chuck! Samsung is aware of this MMS behavior and is looking into it further. ^Sabrina

Screengrab below.

-Chuck

URPREY

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
T-Mo is awesome. Some of us having issues actually got phone calls from T-Mo engineers who grabbed the information and fast-tracked a fix.

Color me impressed

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

ambienta

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
MMS not working at all nexus S

Any of you have this problem? I was able to receive an MMS from someone on Verizon but they weren't able to open one from me. I didn't receive an MMS entirely from someone on sprint but they got mine and also weren't able to open the picture. If I send myself a picture I see it upload fine and then a few seconds later it says downloading and it downloads fine, and I can open it. I have a nexus S on T-mobile. This is the first time I've tried using MMS on this phone since I got it. Hopefully its an issue caused by them trying to fix the compression problem mentioned in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol